Porblem with java/cgi pages

Sheraz

Porblem with java/cgi pages
I have been extremely frustrated by IE in vista. Infact i have been using it
since i started computing but i have now switched to firefox.

There is a very stupid problem. If a page contains a cgi form with drop
downs, the IE windows gets stuck when filing the form and the worst thing is
that it just does not disturb the active tab but all tabs open, infact all IE
windows get stuck.

To add to troubles, there is no built-in recovery, we just have to remeber
how many websites are open and which pages we were viewing. This is simply
ridiculus. I think with windows vista, microsoft has come to show that it can
no longer develop a roubust solution.

Vista does more things in background than procesisng for user.

Even if a donwload is in progress, that alsoe gets wasted due to cgi form
error.

I suggest microsoft to sell yourself to firefox or google the development of
IE.

Enough is enough, because you people are simply now eating out of your
dominance and unfair monopoly in personal computing market.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

rob^_^

Re: Porblem with java/cgi pages
Hi Sheraz,

And the website where this occurs is?

This is a Public NG manned by enthusiasts and volunteers to assist fellow IE
users. If you could provide us with the url to your web site we may be able
to assist you. One would have to ask why it is that one (or any) site using
cgi (out of maybe 5 billion websites) is experiencing problems with IE.
A quick tip is that most problems with IE occur because of incompatible or
malicious third-party browser extensions. Have you tried navigating your
sites with IE running in no-Addons Mode? (Start>(All)
Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no-Addons)

Automatic tab recovery - this is addressed in IE8 (currently released as
Beta 1 for developers).

PS. Love it or hate it IE occupies some 76%+ of the browser market. By not
addressing issues of IE compatibility with your web site you may be turning
away that percentage of your potential visitors.

I have IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Flock and SeaMonkey installed and test
all of my web pages through each browser. They all have their shortcomings
Don't let this become your shortcoming.

Please post back if you find that running in no-Addons mode solves your
problems.

Regards.

"Sheraz" <Sheraz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been extremely frustrated by IE in vista. Infact i have been using
> it
> since i started computing but i have now switched to firefox.
>
> There is a very stupid problem. If a page contains a cgi form with drop
> downs, the IE windows gets stuck when filing the form and the worst thing
> is
> that it just does not disturb the active tab but all tabs open, infact all
> IE
> windows get stuck.
>
> To add to troubles, there is no built-in recovery, we just have to remeber
> how many websites are open and which pages we were viewing. This is simply
> ridiculus. I think with windows vista, microsoft has come to show that it
> can
> no longer develop a roubust solution.
>
> Vista does more things in background than procesisng for user.
>
> Even if a donwload is in progress, that alsoe gets wasted due to cgi form
> error.
>
> I suggest microsoft to sell yourself to firefox or google the development
> of
> IE.
>
> Enough is enough, because you people are simply now eating out of your
> dominance and unfair monopoly in personal computing market.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Sheraz

Re: Porblem with java/cgi pages
You are right. What i believe is that most problesm occur due to java
plug-in. It is not website specific. I have experienced this even on
microsoft career website, at the end of long questionaire, finally when
uploading my cv, the IE got stuck!

Another example is when uploading photos on snapfish.com

There are lots of other experiences bad with this... I wish i had written
them all to give you.

You would be glad that i have been a big fan of IE and microsoft products, i
always prefered to use things that are buit-in windows like media player,
outlook etc. But now these things are causing problem.

Another thing i would suggest is that PLEASE embed a donwload manager in IE
like they have in firefox which manages downloads as seperate window. If some
problem occurs in one tab, ten other pages that a user is viewing are not
lost.

Yesterday i was uploading a 70 MB file and it was 90% complete after about 1
hour, then suddenly a problem in one cgi-form website crashed all my effort
and i have to redo again.

And i tell you that i believe 50% of what microsoft is today is because it
has an unfair market dominance, it is equally attributable to success of
microsoft, the other half is genuine development of people behind it.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Sheraz,
>
> And the website where this occurs is?
>
> This is a Public NG manned by enthusiasts and volunteers to assist fellow IE
> users. If you could provide us with the url to your web site we may be able
> to assist you. One would have to ask why it is that one (or any) site using
> cgi (out of maybe 5 billion websites) is experiencing problems with IE.
> A quick tip is that most problems with IE occur because of incompatible or
> malicious third-party browser extensions. Have you tried navigating your
> sites with IE running in no-Addons Mode? (Start>(All)
> Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no-Addons)
>
> Automatic tab recovery - this is addressed in IE8 (currently released as
> Beta 1 for developers).
>
> PS. Love it or hate it IE occupies some 76%+ of the browser market. By not
> addressing issues of IE compatibility with your web site you may be turning
> away that percentage of your potential visitors.
>
> I have IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Flock and SeaMonkey installed and test
> all of my web pages through each browser. They all have their shortcomings
> Don't let this become your shortcoming.
>
> Please post back if you find that running in no-Addons mode solves your
> problems.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Sheraz" <Sheraz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have been extremely frustrated by IE in vista. Infact i have been using
> > it
> > since i started computing but i have now switched to firefox.
> >
> > There is a very stupid problem. If a page contains a cgi form with drop
> > downs, the IE windows gets stuck when filing the form and the worst thing
> > is
> > that it just does not disturb the active tab but all tabs open, infact all
> > IE
> > windows get stuck.
> >
> > To add to troubles, there is no built-in recovery, we just have to remeber
> > how many websites are open and which pages we were viewing. This is simply
> > ridiculus. I think with windows vista, microsoft has come to show that it
> > can
> > no longer develop a roubust solution.
> >
> > Vista does more things in background than procesisng for user.
> >
> > Even if a donwload is in progress, that alsoe gets wasted due to cgi form
> > error.
> >
> > I suggest microsoft to sell yourself to firefox or google the development
> > of
> > IE.
> >
> > Enough is enough, because you people are simply now eating out of your
> > dominance and unfair monopoly in personal computing market.
> >
> > ----------------
> > this
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

rob^_^

Re: Porblem with java/cgi pages
Hi Sheraz,

And yes you are right too. IE is not perfect... it has some nuisances and
incompatibility issues. They are addressing some of these in the next
version release IE8, but yes, some issues will remain unresolved, not
because of arrogance, but rather because of a strong customer and security
focus by MS. Some things cannot be changed without breaking the sites of
MS's major customers.

> [...]
>> >
>> > Even if a donwload is in progress, that alsoe gets wasted due to cgi
>> > form
>> > error.
>> >
>> > I suggest microsoft to sell yourself to firefox or google the
>> > development
>> > of
>> > IE.
>> >
>> > Enough is enough, because you people are simply now eating out of your
>> > dominance and unfair monopoly in personal computing market.
>> >
>> > ----------------
>> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> > "I
>> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> > this
>> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

BobMoney

Re: Porblem with cgi pages
My website has a CGI Search application which works in Firefox but not in IE 7.

In Firefox the search brings up
"http://www.calneva.com/family/\HIST04D1.HTM". In IE 7 it brings up
"http://www.calneva.com\HIST04D1.HTM".
For some reason the IE 7 fetch drops the directory "/family/"
The Firefox URL fetches the web page correctly, The IE 7 URL produces an
error panel.

Can you help me with this?

Bob$$$
**************************

"rob^_^" wrote:

> [...]
> >> malicious third-party browser extensions. Have you tried navigating your
> >> sites with IE running in no-Addons Mode? (Start>(All)
> >> Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no-Addons)
> >>
> >> Automatic tab recovery - this is addressed in IE8 (currently released as
> >> Beta 1 for developers).
> >>
> >> PS. Love it or hate it IE occupies some 76%+ of the browser market. By
> >> not
> >> addressing issues of IE compatibility with your web site you may be
> >> turning
> >> away that percentage of your potential visitors.
> >>
> >> I have IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Flock and SeaMonkey installed and test
> >> all of my web pages through each browser. They all have their
> >> shortcomings
> >> Don't let this become your shortcoming.
> >>
> >> Please post back if you find that running in no-Addons mode solves your

Hans Le Roy

Re: Porblem with cgi pages
Hi Bob,

"BobMoney" <BobMoney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My website has a CGI Search application which works in Firefox but not in
> IE 7.
>
> In Firefox the search brings up
> "http://www.calneva.com/family/\HIST04D1.HTM". In IE 7 it brings up
> "http://www.calneva.com\HIST04D1.HTM".
> For some reason the IE 7 fetch drops the directory "/family/"
> The Firefox URL fetches the web page correctly, The IE 7 URL produces an
> error panel.
>
> Can you help me with this?
>
> Bob$$$

I guess we need some code for that one...

Kind regards

Hans

Hal9000

Re: Porblem with cgi pages
I have two videos, thumb size, on my site's index page, a link on that page
to a sub-page that contains 12 thumbs with each of those linked to a larger
view.

Everything works just fine in FF but not IE? I may have to see if I can put
an alt image to show if the video player doesn't. I could probably create a
nice graphic for that purpose with some appropriate text ; )

"BobMoney" <BobMoney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My website has a CGI Search application which works in Firefox but not in
> IE 7.
>
> In Firefox the search brings up
> "http://www.calneva.com/family/\HIST04D1.HTM". In IE 7 it brings up
> "http://www.calneva.com\HIST04D1.HTM".
> For some reason the IE 7 fetch drops the directory "/family/"
> The Firefox URL fetches the web page correctly, The IE 7 URL produces an
> error panel.
>
> Can you help me with this?
>
> Bob$$$
> **************************
>
> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sheraz,
>>
>> And yes you are right too. IE is not perfect... it has some nuisances and
>> incompatibility issues. They are addressing some of these in the next
>> version release IE8, but yes, some issues will remain unresolved, not
>> because of arrogance, but rather because of a strong customer and
>> security
>> focus by MS. Some things cannot be changed without breaking the sites of
>> MS's major customers.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Sheraz" <Sheraz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > You are right. What i believe is that most problesm occur due to java
>> > plug-in. It is not website specific. I have experienced this even on
>> > microsoft career website, at the end of long questionaire, finally when
>> > uploading my cv, the IE got stuck!
>> >
>> > Another example is when uploading photos on snapfish.com
>> >
>> > There are lots of other experiences bad with this... I wish i had
>> > written
>> > them all to give you.
>> >
>> > You would be glad that i have been a big fan of IE and microsoft
>> > products,
>> > always prefered to use things that are buit-in windows like media
>> > player,
>> > outlook etc. But now these things are causing problem.
>> >
>> > Another thing i would suggest is that PLEASE embed a donwload manager
>> > in
>> > IE
>> > like they have in firefox which manages downloads as seperate window.
>> > If
>> > some
>> > problem occurs in one tab, ten other pages that a user is viewing are
>> > not
>> > lost.
>> >
>> > Yesterday i was uploading a 70 MB file and it was 90% complete after
>> > about
>> > 1
>> > hour, then suddenly a problem in one cgi-form website crashed all my
>> > effort
>> > and i have to redo again.
>> >
>> > And i tell you that i believe 50% of what microsoft is today is because
>> > it
>> > has an unfair market dominance, it is equally attributable to success
>> > of
>> > microsoft, the other half is genuine development of people behind it.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Porblem with cgi pages

"BobMoney" <BobMoney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4CE4A16-D211-4740-8516-DD92403ADA13@microsoft.com...
> My website has a CGI Search application which works in Firefox but not in IE 7.
>
> In Firefox the search brings up
> "http://www.calneva.com/family/\HIST04D1.HTM". In IE 7 it brings up
> "http://www.calneva.com\HIST04D1.HTM".
> For some reason the IE 7 fetch drops the directory "/family/"

Use Fiddler2 to see what is sent as the request.
I can imagine the /family/ somehow being parsed out
the same way an authentication string. E.g. if that's the case you
could see something different in the request than in the
Address bar. BTW I don't understand how the backslash
is being transmitted that way either.

Perhaps you should try sending it as its escaped hex equivalent, %5C
But then your server could probably come back with an HTTP 404,
indicating that it couldn't find a file called \HIST04D1.HTM
in its family directory:

http://www.calneva.com/family/%5CHIST04D1.HTM

FWIW when I do either the backslash is ignored and stripped out
but I suspect your server is the thing that is doing the ignoring. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---