Internet Explorer won't update

Pythaeral

Internet Explorer won't update
Here's the whole story.
When Service Pack 3 was still in BETA I downloaded and installed it. Also at
the same time I updated my Internet Explorer to version 8. At this present
time, I SHOULD have version 8 still running.
When I go to check my email on Hotmail it tells me to update my IE to a
newer version, and when I click to continue without updating, I can't view my
email because of an error on the page. When I got to "update" my IE, it runs
through all of the motions, "installs", and I reboot. I try again. It still
says I need to update.
I also tried downloading and installing the new final SP3 release, and it
does the same thing. It appears to have installed, but nothing really gets
updated.
Because of this, my automatic updates also do not install. Again, they go
through the motions but when I go to shut down again I still have the option
to install updates. Over and over. No progress.

Any solutions short of reinstalling my OS?
Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer won't update
No.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est
R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)

Pythaeral wrote:
> Here's the whole story.
> When Service Pack 3 was still in BETA I downloaded and installed it. Also at
> the same time I updated my Internet Explorer to version 8. At this present
> time, I SHOULD have version 8 still running.
> When I go to check my email on Hotmail it tells me to update my IE to a
> newer version, and when I click to continue without updating, I can't view my
> email because of an error on the page. When I got to "update" my IE, it runs
> through all of the motions, "installs", and I reboot. I try again. It still
> says I need to update.
> I also tried downloading and installing the new final SP3 release, and it
> does the same thing. It appears to have installed, but nothing really gets
> updated.
> Because of this, my automatic updates also do not install. Again, they go
> through the motions but when I go to shut down again I still have the option
> to install updates. Over and over. No progress.
>
> Any solutions short of reinstalling my OS?

Re: Internet Explorer won't update
Assuming WinXP SP3 Beta* was installed and then you installed IE8 Beta 1:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Uninstall IE8 Beta 1 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

3. Uninstall WinXP SP3 Beta via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

4. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

5. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

* If you installed IE8 Beta 1 and then installed WinXP SP3 Beta, switch #2
and #3 above.

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/