Internet explorer 7

Tony Stanford

Internet explorer 7

Hi -

I wonder if anyone can help with this problem.

I am running XP with an administrator account and a minimum account for
safety. I have just upgraded to Explorer 7 at the same time as upgrading
my Norton product.

I now find that I cannot create webpage shortcuts on my desktop from
Internet Explorer in the minimum account, although I can in the
administrator's account.

The Explorer shortcuts to web pages appear on the desktop, but when I
click on them, they try to connect, and then Explorer freezes and I have
to end the task. This always worked before in the minimum account, but
has stopped since the Windows and Norton upgrade. Can't understand why
it works OK in the administrator's account. I have tried changing the
minimum account to admin privileges, but this does not solve the
problem.

Help appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

--
Tony Stanford

Re: Internet explorer 7
You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
IE7's additional security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tony Stanford wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I wonder if anyone can help with this problem.
>
> I am running XP with an administrator account and a minimum account for
> safety. I have just upgraded to Explorer 7 at the same time as upgrading
> my Norton product.
>
> I now find that I cannot create webpage shortcuts on my desktop from
> Internet Explorer in the minimum account, although I can in the
> administrator's account.
>
> The Explorer shortcuts to web pages appear on the desktop, but when I
> click on them, they try to connect, and then Explorer freezes and I have
> to end the task. This always worked before in the minimum account, but
> has stopped since the Windows and Norton upgrade. Can't understand why
> it works OK in the administrator's account. I have tried changing the
> minimum account to admin privileges, but this does not solve the
> problem.
>
> Help appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

Tony Stanford

Re: Internet explorer 7

Thanks for the detailed advice. I did reinstall Explorer 7, but it
didn't help. So I reset it under tools/internet/advanced, and that fixed
it. Then I re-enabled all the add-ons, and it seems to work fine now.
Can't understand why those short-cuts threw it in one XP account but not
the other.

Thanks again.

Tony

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, at 11:10:28, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote

--
Tony Stanford

Re: Internet explorer 7
Did you reinstall IE7 exactly per #3?

Tony Stanford wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed advice. I did reinstall Explorer 7, but it
> didn't help. So I reset it under tools/internet/advanced, and that fixed
> it. Then I re-enabled all the add-ons, and it seems to work fine now.
> Can't understand why those short-cuts threw it in one XP account but not
> the other.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Tony
>
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, at 11:10:28, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote
>> You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest
>> that you...
>>
>> 1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
>> %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via
>> Add/Remove Programs!]
>>
>> 2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including
>> Window Blinds).
>>
>> 2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.
>>
>> 3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8,
>> #10 & #11; take note of #12, then STOP!
>>
>> NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the
>> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>>
>> Or Direct Download link:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...ae91ebe-3385-4
>> 47c-8a30-081805b2f90b
>>
>> Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
>>
>> 4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
>> critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in
>> the Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full
>> advantage of IE7's additional security.
>>
>> Also see:
>>
>> IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-and-Anti_2D
>> 00_Malware-Applications.aspx
>>
>> What's New in Internet Explorer 7
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649487.aspx
>>
>> Release Notes
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx
>>
>> IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx

Tony Stanford

Re: Internet explorer 7
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, at 14:12:12, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote
>Did you reinstall IE7 exactly per #3?

Yes ... but it is all done and working now. It needed resetting. Thanks
for your advice.

Tony

--
Tony Stanford