IE 7 won't open mp3 file

Ray

IE 7 won't open mp3 file
Using Vista and IE 7

When I try and open an mp3 file I get the following error:

"The file you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program. It
is either corrupted or it has an incorrect file type. As a security
precaution, it is recommended that you cancel the download."

When I had XP installed and I was using IE 6.0, I didn't have a problem
opening mp3 files, and it worked by default, I didn't have to change any
settings to make it work.

Also, I tried using Opera and it opens mp3 files without a problem, so what
gives with IE, why won't it work?

Thanks!

Donald Anadell

Re: IE 7 won't open mp3 file

"Ray" <yar@nehalemtel.net> wrote in message
> Using Vista and IE 7
>
> When I try and open an mp3 file I get the following error:
>
> "The file you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program. It
> is either corrupted or it has an incorrect file type. As a security
> precaution, it is recommended that you cancel the download."
>
> When I had XP installed and I was using IE 6.0, I didn't have a problem
> opening mp3 files, and it worked by default, I didn't have to change any
> settings to make it work.
>
> Also, I tried using Opera and it opens mp3 files without a problem, so
> what gives with IE, why won't it work?

So what program do you have set as the default for the .mp3 file extension,
Windows Media Player, Quicktime, WinAmp...etc?

You might try, Tools||Internet
Options||Security(tab)||Internet(Zone)||Custom Level...||Miscellaneous
Enable the following Item: "Open files based on content, not file extension"

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thanks!

Lunaray

Re: IE 7 won't open mp3 file
I have Windows Media Player set to play mp3 files and "Open files based on
content, not file extension" is enabled, though I've tried disabling that
too, but neither way makes a difference, it still won't work!

Thanks for the suggestions though.

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
> So what program do you have set as the default for the .mp3 file
> extension, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, WinAmp...etc?
>
> You might try, Tools||Internet
> Options||Security(tab)||Internet(Zone)||Custom Level...||Miscellaneous
> Enable the following Item: "Open files based on content, not file
> extension"
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

>> Thanks!

Donald Anadell

Re: IE 7 won't open mp3 file

"Lunaray" <yar@nehalemtel.net> wrote in message
>I have Windows Media Player set to play mp3 files and "Open files based on
>content, not file extension" is enabled, though I've tried disabling that
>too, but neither way makes a difference, it still won't work!

You might take a look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925832

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thanks for the suggestions though.
>

> "Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
>> So what program do you have set as the default for the .mp3 file
>> extension, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, WinAmp...etc?
>>
>> You might try, Tools||Internet
>> Options||Security(tab)||Internet(Zone)||Custom Level...||Miscellaneous
>> Enable the following Item: "Open files based on content, not file
>> extension"
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>

>>> Thanks!

Lunaray

Re: IE 7 won't open mp3 file
Thanks again Donald, I saw that article when I was looking for a solution on
the web, but I think it's just ridiculous to have to make changes to the
registry to make something simple like this work, I'll just wait for the
update to fix it. I can live with it, it's the people who I'm trying to
share an mp3 file with that's the problem, even if I fixed it for my
browser, it wouldn't help theirs. I'll just tell them to use a browser that
works, like Opera, or Firefox.

> You might take a look here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925832
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell

astrosue

Re: IE 7 won't open mp3 file
Often I have to right click the link>save target as>where you want to save.
Or--copy the shortcut and enter it into a player>play url
--
Sue J Thomas

> Thanks again Donald, I saw that article when I was looking for a solution
> on the web, but I think it's just ridiculous to have to make changes to
> the registry to make something simple like this work,

>I'll just wait for the update to fix it.

The way I read the KB article, the problem is fixed in the latest Vista
Service Pack.

"To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows Vista."

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791/

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> I can live with it, it's the people who I'm trying to share an mp3 file
> with that's the problem, even if I fixed it for my browser, it wouldn't
> help theirs. I'll just tell them to use a browser that works, like Opera,
> or Firefox.
>
> "Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
>> You might take a look here:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925832
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell

Lunaray

Re: IE 7 won't open mp3 file
Thanks Sue, it's not really me that I'm looking out for, it's other people
who I'm trying to share a file with, and they shouldn't have to "Save" it,
it should just open automatically like it did in previous versions of IE,
and like it does in other browsers. Typical of Microsoft though, if it aint
broke, then break it!! Very frustrating!