IE7 not recognised by Windows Update

Phil

IE7 not recognised by Windows Update
When running Windows Update I get the following:
"Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.
To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer
Downloads website."

My IE is actually version 7.0.5730.13. I have tried uninstalling and
reinstalling and pausing (McAfee) firewall and resetting my (o2) router but
stll the same error message
Don Varnau

Re: IE7 not recognised by Windows Update
Hi,
Start IE without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, an add-on is causing the problem.

See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
for troubleshooting information.
More at:
- - -
Make sure that McAfee is not loading at startup, from within the program
settings or from Start> Run> MSCONFIG> Startup. Restart. Turn on the Windows
Firewall from Control Panel> Windows Firewall and see if McAfee is causing
the problem by blocking User Agent information.

Is another third-party program causing the problem?
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When running Windows Update I get the following:
> "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or

later.
> To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet

Explorer
> Downloads website."
>
> My IE is actually version 7.0.5730.13. I have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling and pausing (McAfee) firewall and resetting my (o2) router

but
> stll the same error message

Phil

Re: IE7 not recognised by Windows Update
Still cant clear the problem. Have uninstalled McAfee tried disabling
add-ons, tried running without add-ons. Interestingly when I click on the
link in my mail account
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/aspx/no...a-cc463f7cc67e
a blank page is displayed. Something somewhere must be blocking outbound
traffic. Is there any other way I can test to see what the problem is?

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Start IE without add-ons from:
> Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> or
> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> If the problem goes away, an add-on is causing the problem.
>
> See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
> for troubleshooting information.
> More at:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> - - -
> Make sure that McAfee is not loading at startup, from within the program
> settings or from Start> Run> MSCONFIG> Startup. Restart. Turn on the Windows
> Firewall from Control Panel> Windows Firewall and see if McAfee is causing
> the problem by blocking User Agent information.
>
> Is another third-party program causing the problem?
> 936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
> Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When running Windows Update I get the following:
> > "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> > To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or

> later.
> > To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet

> Explorer
> > Downloads website."
> >
> > My IE is actually version 7.0.5730.13. I have tried uninstalling and
> > reinstalling and pausing (McAfee) firewall and resetting my (o2) router

> but
> > stll the same error message

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 not recognised by Windows Update
Hi,
Is XP at SP2 or SP3? If SP3, was IE7 installed before SP3?

At http://gemal.dk/browserspy/headers.php what's the HTTP_USER_AGENT result?

> Still cant clear the problem. Have uninstalled McAfee tried disabling
> add-ons, tried running without add-ons. Interestingly when I click on the
> link in my mail account

http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/aspx/no...a-cc463f7cc67e
> a blank page is displayed. Something somewhere must be blocking outbound
> traffic. Is there any other way I can test to see what the problem is?

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Start IE without add-ons from:
> > Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> > or
> > Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> > If the problem goes away, an add-on is causing the problem.
> >
> > See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
> > for troubleshooting information.
> > More at:
> > IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> > - - -
> > Make sure that McAfee is not loading at startup, from within the program
> > settings or from Start> Run> MSCONFIG> Startup. Restart. Turn on the

Windows
> > Firewall from Control Panel> Windows Firewall and see if McAfee is

causing
> > the problem by blocking User Agent information.
> >
> > Is another third-party program causing the problem?
> > 936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
> > Windows Vista:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)
> >

> > "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When running Windows Update I get the following:
> > > "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> > > To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or

> > later.
> > > To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet

> > Explorer
> > > Downloads website."
> > >
> > > My IE is actually version 7.0.5730.13. I have tried uninstalling and
> > > reinstalling and pausing (McAfee) firewall and resetting my (o2)

router
> > but
> > > stll the same error message

Phil

RE: IE7 not recognised by Windows Update
IE7 was reinstalled after SP3. I have just reinstalled windows now so problem
solved. Internet Explorer did seem pretty much screwed up before reinstall

"Phil" wrote:

> When running Windows Update I get the following:
> "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
> To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.
> To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer
> Downloads website."
>
> My IE is actually version 7.0.5730.13. I have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling and pausing (McAfee) firewall and resetting my (o2) router but
> stll the same error message

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 not recognised by Windows Update
Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for the update.

Don