RE: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install

sde

RE: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install
sde

I dasabled the antivirus and the wondows fire wall but KB950759 still will
not install. WHat else can I do to get this to install properly????

"ju.c" wrote:

> "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759)" installation fails on XP Pro SP3. Automatic Updates was the first try, after that failed I downloaded the file from Microsoft Downloads. That too failed, so I tried the Microsoft Update Site. Same thing - fails. It seems to do a precondition check and something tells it to stop installing. Not anti-malware software, system fully updated and working perfectly. Any ideas or sympathy?
>

> ju

ju.c

Re: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install
I'm ju.c, original poster.

I've had some time to think about the KB950759 install problem and I have an idea, but my
problem is fixed, so I don't have a test system.
Because the setup does a pre-condition check it makes sense to fool the installer.
Extract the files from KB950759 then search for the same files on your computer. I wonder
if deleting the copies that have the same file names as KB950759 that are in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ and anywhere else, except \system32\ or \Program
Files\Internet Explorer\ will be the trick.

My fix was uninstalling SP3. That replaced IE7 files, thus the KB950759 installed OK.

I'd love to know what the problem was, and if this works, I'll know.

Good luck!

ju.c

"sde" <sde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sde
>
> I dasabled the antivirus and the wondows fire wall but KB950759 still will
> not install. WHat else can I do to get this to install properly????
>
> "ju.c" wrote:
>
>> "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759)"
>> installation fails on XP Pro SP3. Automatic Updates was the first try, after that
>> failed I downloaded the file from Microsoft Downloads. That too failed, so I tried the
>> Microsoft Update Site. Same thing - fails. It seems to do a precondition check and
>> something tells it to stop installing. Not anti-malware software, system fully updated
>> and working perfectly. Any ideas or sympathy?
>>

>> ju

sde

Re: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install
Thanks ju.c

So, should I uninstall SP3 then install KB950759 then reinstall SP3?

"ju.c" wrote:

> I'm ju.c, original poster.
>
> I've had some time to think about the KB950759 install problem and I have an idea, but my
> problem is fixed, so I don't have a test system.
> Because the setup does a pre-condition check it makes sense to fool the installer.
> Extract the files from KB950759 then search for the same files on your computer. I wonder
> if deleting the copies that have the same file names as KB950759 that are in
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ and anywhere else, except \system32\ or \Program
> Files\Internet Explorer\ will be the trick.
>
> My fix was uninstalling SP3. That replaced IE7 files, thus the KB950759 installed OK.
>
> I'd love to know what the problem was, and if this works, I'll know.
>
> Good luck!
>

> ju.c
>

> "sde" <sde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > sde
> >
> > I dasabled the antivirus and the wondows fire wall but KB950759 still will
> > not install. WHat else can I do to get this to install properly????
> >
> > "ju.c" wrote:
> >
> >> "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759)"
> >> installation fails on XP Pro SP3. Automatic Updates was the first try, after that
> >> failed I downloaded the file from Microsoft Downloads. That too failed, so I tried the
> >> Microsoft Update Site. Same thing - fails. It seems to do a precondition check and
> >> something tells it to stop installing. Not anti-malware software, system fully updated
> >> and working perfectly. Any ideas or sympathy?
> >>

> >> ju

ju.c

Re: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install
I uninstalled SP3, then re-installed it, then the update installed OK.

This is what I did:

1. Uninstall SP3.
2. Restart.
3. Run chkdsk.
Yes: Automatically fix file system errors.
No: Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
4. Install SP3.
5. Restart.
6. Restart again.
7. Install KB950759.

> Thanks ju.c
>
> So, should I uninstall SP3 then install KB950759 then reinstall SP3?
>
> "ju.c" wrote:
>
>> I'm ju.c, original poster.
>>
>> I've had some time to think about the KB950759 install problem and I have an idea, but
>> my
>> problem is fixed, so I don't have a test system.
>> Because the setup does a pre-condition check it makes sense to fool the installer.
>> Extract the files from KB950759 then search for the same files on your computer. I
>> wonder
>> if deleting the copies that have the same file names as KB950759 that are in
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ and anywhere else, except \system32\ or \Program
>> Files\Internet Explorer\ will be the trick.
>>
>> My fix was uninstalling SP3. That replaced IE7 files, thus the KB950759 installed OK.
>>
>> I'd love to know what the problem was, and if this works, I'll know.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>

>> ju.c
>>

>> "sde" <sde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > sde
>> >
>> > I dasabled the antivirus and the wondows fire wall but KB950759 still will
>> > not install. WHat else can I do to get this to install properly????

sde

Re: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install
Thanks for your help ju.c I have good computer literacy but I dont know how
to uninstall SP3. How do I do this? Also, is it worth me messing around with
I dont want to have to reinstall windows again if I can help it. hte reason I
want fix the problem is that the update keeps flashing up in the screen but
it never isntalls properly its a real nuisance.

What do you think??

"ju.c" wrote:

> I uninstalled SP3, then re-installed it, then the update installed OK.
>
> This is what I did:
>
> 1. Uninstall SP3.
> 2. Restart.
> 3. Run chkdsk.
> Yes: Automatically fix file system errors.
> No: Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
> 4. Install SP3.
> 5. Restart.
> 6. Restart again.
> 7. Install KB950759.
>
> Good luck!
>

> ju.c
>

> "sde" <sde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks ju.c
> >
> > So, should I uninstall SP3 then install KB950759 then reinstall SP3?
> >
> > "ju.c" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm ju.c, original poster.
> >>
> >> I've had some time to think about the KB950759 install problem and I have an idea, but
> >> my
> >> problem is fixed, so I don't have a test system.
> >> Because the setup does a pre-condition check it makes sense to fool the installer.
> >> Extract the files from KB950759 then search for the same files on your computer. I
> >> wonder
> >> if deleting the copies that have the same file names as KB950759 that are in
> >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ and anywhere else, except \system32\ or \Program
> >> Files\Internet Explorer\ will be the trick.
> >>
> >> My fix was uninstalling SP3. That replaced IE7 files, thus the KB950759 installed OK.
> >>
> >> I'd love to know what the problem was, and if this works, I'll know.
> >>
> >> Good luck!
> >>

> >> ju.c

ju.c

Re: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install
RE: "how to uninstall SP3"

Is it not in 'Add or Remove Programs'?

RE: "is it worth me messing around with, I don't want to have to reinstall Windows again
if I can help it"

Re-installing SP3 actually fixed numerous problems for me. Now everything works perfectly.
I would say it's worth it. KB950759 is an important IE security update.
Create a System Restore point before hand, just in case.

> Thanks for your help ju.c I have good computer literacy but I dont know how
> to uninstall SP3. How do I do this? Also, is it worth me messing around with
> I dont want to have to reinstall windows again if I can help it. hte reason I
> want fix the problem is that the update keeps flashing up in the screen but
> it never isntalls properly its a real nuisance.
>
> What do you think??
>
> "ju.c" wrote:
>
>> I uninstalled SP3, then re-installed it, then the update installed OK.
>>
>> This is what I did:
>>
>> 1. Uninstall SP3.
>> 2. Restart.
>> 3. Run chkdsk.
>> Yes: Automatically fix file system errors.
>> No: Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
>> 4. Install SP3.
>> 5. Restart.
>> 6. Restart again.
>> 7. Install KB950759.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>

>> ju.c
>>

>> "sde" <sde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks ju.c
>> >
>> > So, should I uninstall SP3 then install KB950759 then reinstall SP3?

sde

Re: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install
No its not, my version of windows is an SP3 version built in

"ju.c" wrote:

> RE: "how to uninstall SP3"
>
> Is it not in 'Add or Remove Programs'?
>

> RE: "is it worth me messing around with, I don't want to have to reinstall Windows again
> if I can help it"
>
> Re-installing SP3 actually fixed numerous problems for me. Now everything works perfectly.
> I would say it's worth it. KB950759 is an important IE security update.
> Create a System Restore point before hand, just in case.
>

> ju.c
>

> "sde" <sde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your help ju.c I have good computer literacy but I dont know how
> > to uninstall SP3. How do I do this? Also, is it worth me messing around with
> > I dont want to have to reinstall windows again if I can help it. hte reason I
> > want fix the problem is that the update keeps flashing up in the screen but
> > it never isntalls properly its a real nuisance.
> >
> > What do you think??
> >
> > "ju.c" wrote:
> >
> >> I uninstalled SP3, then re-installed it, then the update installed OK.
> >>
> >> This is what I did:
> >>
> >> 1. Uninstall SP3.
> >> 2. Restart.
> >> 3. Run chkdsk.
> >> Yes: Automatically fix file system errors.
> >> No: Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
> >> 4. Install SP3.
> >> 5. Restart.
> >> 6. Restart again.
> >> 7. Install KB950759.
> >>
> >> Good luck!
> >>

> >> ju.c

ju.c

Re: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install
What do you mean "built in" ?
Did you just buy it?
In 'Add or Remove Programs' check the box to show updates.

> No its not, my version of windows is an SP3 version built in
>
> "ju.c" wrote:
>
>> RE: "how to uninstall SP3"
>>
>> Is it not in 'Add or Remove Programs'?
>>

>> RE: "is it worth me messing around with, I don't want to have to reinstall Windows
>> again
>> if I can help it"
>>
>> Re-installing SP3 actually fixed numerous problems for me. Now everything works
>> perfectly.
>> I would say it's worth it. KB950759 is an important IE security update.
>> Create a System Restore point before hand, just in case.
>>

>> ju.c
>>

>> "sde" <sde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for your help ju.c I have good computer literacy but I dont know how
>> > to uninstall SP3. How do I do this? Also, is it worth me messing around with
>> > I dont want to have to reinstall windows again if I can help it. hte reason I
>> > want fix the problem is that the update keeps flashing up in the screen but
>> > it never isntalls properly its a real nuisance.
>> >
>> > What do you think??

sde

Re: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install
Yes thats corect I purchased Service Pack 3 edition of Windows. I think this
means its built in. I have the check nox selected to show updates and SP3 is
not there with the other Windows updates.

So I am wondering what I should do and how I shoud deal with this.

"ju.c" wrote:

> What do you mean "built in" ?
> Did you just buy it?
> In 'Add or Remove Programs' check the box to show updates.
>
> "sde" <sde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No its not, my version of windows is an SP3 version built in
> >
> > "ju.c" wrote:
> >
> >> RE: "how to uninstall SP3"
> >>
> >> Is it not in 'Add or Remove Programs'?
> >>

> >> RE: "is it worth me messing around with, I don't want to have to reinstall Windows
> >> again
> >> if I can help it"
> >>
> >> Re-installing SP3 actually fixed numerous problems for me. Now everything works
> >> perfectly.
> >> I would say it's worth it. KB950759 is an important IE security update.
> >> Create a System Restore point before hand, just in case.
> >>

> >> ju.c

ju.c

Re: Security Update for IE7 WinXP KB950759 fails to install
I really wish I could help you, but I'm lost now.

Open a new thread in the Windows Updates forum (microsoft.public.windowsupdate) and cross
your fingers.

Sorry, good luck!