IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86

dkutchin

IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86
Folks, I have read several posts on similar issues but none solved mine.

I clean-installed my Vista Ultimate SP1 twice but IE7 crashes even tho I
haven't yet installed any application (hence no add-ons).

Examples of sites that provoke the crash are: 1. the site to download MS
OneCare and 2. the site I click to access online help in eventvwr.

The inevitable Event-id 1000 mshtml.dll error report after the crash
includes the following:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, faulting module
mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6001.18000; exception code 0x80000003

The "IE has stopped working" crash song also sometimes occurs when I close
IE.

The PC is a HP Pavilion Dual CPU @2.2Ghz and 3.00Gig RAM.

I didn't have any issue before the OS Upgrade when the box was running Vista
home.

No, I'd not want to install Firefox for now.

Any ideas to make me happy again? Thanks in advance.

--
Daniel Kutchin

Re: IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86
Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

dkutchin wrote:
> Folks, I have read several posts on similar issues but none solved mine.
>
> I clean-installed my Vista Ultimate SP1 twice but IE7 crashes even tho I
> haven't yet installed any application (hence no add-ons).
>
> Examples of sites that provoke the crash are: 1. the site to download MS
> OneCare and 2. the site I click to access online help in eventvwr.
>
> The inevitable Event-id 1000 mshtml.dll error report after the crash
> includes the following:
>
> Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, faulting module
> mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6001.18000; exception code 0x80000003
>
> The "IE has stopped working" crash song also sometimes occurs when I close
> IE.
>
> The PC is a HP Pavilion Dual CPU @2.2Ghz and 3.00Gig RAM.
>
> I didn't have any issue before the OS Upgrade when the box was running
> Vista
> home.
>
> No, I'd not want to install Firefox for now.
>
> Any ideas to make me happy again? Thanks in advance.

dkutchin

Re: IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86
Thanks for the quick response.
Both ways. On the latest install I booted from the DVD to install Windows
Vista SP1 and I was offered no option to upgrade.

--
Daniel Kutchin

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> dkutchin wrote:
> > Folks, I have read several posts on similar issues but none solved mine.
> >
> > I clean-installed my Vista Ultimate SP1 twice but IE7 crashes even tho I
> > haven't yet installed any application (hence no add-ons).
> >
> > Examples of sites that provoke the crash are: 1. the site to download MS
> > OneCare and 2. the site I click to access online help in eventvwr.
> >
> > The inevitable Event-id 1000 mshtml.dll error report after the crash
> > includes the following:
> >
> > Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, faulting module
> > mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6001.18000; exception code 0x80000003
> >
> > The "IE has stopped working" crash song also sometimes occurs when I close
> > IE.
> >
> > The PC is a HP Pavilion Dual CPU @2.2Ghz and 3.00Gig RAM.
> >
> > I didn't have any issue before the OS Upgrade when the box was running
> > Vista
> > home.
> >
> > No, I'd not want to install Firefox for now.
> >
> > Any ideas to make me happy again? Thanks in advance.

rob^_^

Re: IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86
Hi dk,

Further to what Bear has said..

This is only a guess as it is impossible to reproduce your environment.

Assuming your "Vista" DVD is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
version...

First check for updates for your drivers by doing a windows update. From
memory there were problems with some HP provided drivers.

HP also ship their own security package with their PC's. Look under your
Programs menu for the HP Security Center and check its settings or turn it
off (I am not sure of the options it offers)

Have you tried running IE7 in no-Addons mode (HP may have shipped some
toolbars with their OS version)

Start>(All) Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons).

Uninstall or disable any Toolbar or Browser Helper Addons using the
Tools>Manage Addons menu.

Regards.

"dkutchin" <dkutchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news9C45093-C025-449E-A69C-C3DEAE96B531@microsoft.com...
> Folks, I have read several posts on similar issues but none solved mine.
>
> I clean-installed my Vista Ultimate SP1 twice but IE7 crashes even tho I
> haven't yet installed any application (hence no add-ons).
>
> Examples of sites that provoke the crash are: 1. the site to download MS
> OneCare and 2. the site I click to access online help in eventvwr.
>
> The inevitable Event-id 1000 mshtml.dll error report after the crash
> includes the following:
>
> Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, faulting module
> mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6001.18000; exception code 0x80000003
>
> The "IE has stopped working" crash song also sometimes occurs when I close
> IE.
>
> The PC is a HP Pavilion Dual CPU @2.2Ghz and 3.00Gig RAM.
>
> I didn't have any issue before the OS Upgrade when the box was running
> Vista
> home.
>
> No, I'd not want to install Firefox for now.
>
> Any ideas to make me happy again? Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Daniel Kutchin

dkutchin

Re: IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86
Rob, thanks.

The Vista Ultimate SP1 Software DVD is not from HP. I downloaded it from
TechNet Direct and burnt it on DVD myself.

I had run compatibility checks successfully before the Install (as
recommended by MS). I didn't encounter any issue during the install. The
Eventvwr was clean after the install as well.

It was (and it's still) in no Add-on Mode, because there aren't any
applications installed yet, nor any Active-X from any website. The install is
really fresh.

I thought all was fine until I surfed to download OneCare. OneCare would be
the first application I'd install, if the IE crash ceased.

I have checked for any OS-Updates after the install as well. None was
offered me.

Because I had a functioning Vista on the box before; and also because there
weren't any issues during the install, I never thought the HP Hardware could
be a culprit. So thanks for pointing that out.. I will investigate in that
direction as well.

Meanwhile, any more leads to follow would be nice.

--
Daniel Kutchin

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi dk,
>
> Further to what Bear has said..
>
> This is only a guess as it is impossible to reproduce your environment.
>
> Assuming your "Vista" DVD is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
> version...
>
> First check for updates for your drivers by doing a windows update. From
> memory there were problems with some HP provided drivers.
>
> HP also ship their own security package with their PC's. Look under your
> Programs menu for the HP Security Center and check its settings or turn it
> off (I am not sure of the options it offers)
>
> Have you tried running IE7 in no-Addons mode (HP may have shipped some
> toolbars with their OS version)
>
> Start>(All) Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons).
>
> Uninstall or disable any Toolbar or Browser Helper Addons using the
> Tools>Manage Addons menu.
>
> Regards.
>
> "dkutchin" <dkutchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news9C45093-C025-449E-A69C-C3DEAE96B531@microsoft.com...
> > Folks, I have read several posts on similar issues but none solved mine.
> >
> > I clean-installed my Vista Ultimate SP1 twice but IE7 crashes even tho I
> > haven't yet installed any application (hence no add-ons).
> >
> > Examples of sites that provoke the crash are: 1. the site to download MS
> > OneCare and 2. the site I click to access online help in eventvwr.
> >
> > The inevitable Event-id 1000 mshtml.dll error report after the crash
> > includes the following:
> >
> > Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, faulting module
> > mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6001.18000; exception code 0x80000003
> >
> > The "IE has stopped working" crash song also sometimes occurs when I close
> > IE.
> >
> > The PC is a HP Pavilion Dual CPU @2.2Ghz and 3.00Gig RAM.
> >
> > I didn't have any issue before the OS Upgrade when the box was running
> > Vista
> > home.
> >
> > No, I'd not want to install Firefox for now.
> >
> > Any ideas to make me happy again? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Kutchin

rob^_^

Re: IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86
Hi dk,

Try powering down... Remove one RAM chip. Power up. Power down. Install
removed chip. Power up... (another guess, this worked for me when I couldn't
reboot my machine after an unattended windows update and several unattended
reboots , a hardware guy told me the trick).

My MSHTML.dll version is 7.0.6001.18063. 3.41 MB.

Vista Ultimate SP1.

> [...]
>> >
>> > The inevitable Event-id 1000 mshtml.dll error report after the crash
>> > includes the following:
>> >
>> > Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, faulting
>> > module
>> > mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6001.18000; exception code 0x80000003
>> >
>> > The "IE has stopped working" crash song also sometimes occurs when I
>> > close
>> > IE.
>> >
>> > The PC is a HP Pavilion Dual CPU @2.2Ghz and 3.00Gig RAM.
>> >
>> > I didn't have any issue before the OS Upgrade when the box was running
>> > Vista
>> > home.
>> >
>> > No, I'd not want to install Firefox for now.
>> >
>> > Any ideas to make me happy again? Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Daniel Kutchin

Re: IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86
Stick with Rob on this one. It may be that your machine didn't have the
requisite HP drivers installed to be able to do a clean install of a non-HP
version of Vista SP1. This would especially be the case since it's a
Notebook PC.

If the machine came with one or more HP Drivers CDs, use them or download
from HP Support & Drivers.

Both Rob and I are presuming that it's not a Vista SP1 Beta or Release
Candidate build, that Automatic Updates is enabled, that the machine's fully
patched, and that you're aware that your HP Warranty or Service Contract is
no longer valid.
--
~PA Bear

dkutchin wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response.
> Both ways. On the latest install I booted from the DVD to install Windows
> Vista SP1 and I was offered no option to upgrade.
>
>> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> dkutchin wrote:
>>> Folks, I have read several posts on similar issues but none solved mine.
>>>
>>> I clean-installed my Vista Ultimate SP1 twice but IE7 crashes even tho I
>>> haven't yet installed any application (hence no add-ons).
>>>
>>> Examples of sites that provoke the crash are: 1. the site to download MS
>>> OneCare and 2. the site I click to access online help in eventvwr.
>>>
>>> The inevitable Event-id 1000 mshtml.dll error report after the crash
>>> includes the following:
>>>
>>> Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, faulting
>>> module
>>> mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6001.18000; exception code 0x80000003
>>>
>>> The "IE has stopped working" crash song also sometimes occurs when I
>>> close
>>> IE.
>>>
>>> The PC is a HP Pavilion Dual CPU @2.2Ghz and 3.00Gig RAM.
>>>
>>> I didn't have any issue before the OS Upgrade when the box was running
>>> Vista
>>> home.
>>>
>>> No, I'd not want to install Firefox for now.
>>>
>>> Any ideas to make me happy again? Thanks in advance.

dkutchin

Re: IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86
Thanks Rob. I'll catch some sleep first, while the PC (now shutting down)
cools. Then I'll do the mem check tomorrow.

Funny tho, I've had the same pleasant experience like you until now. I
upgraded my other PC, a Dell XPS, about 18 months ago from XP Home, in the
same manner. It's running the setup which I want to build on the HP. It has
2Gig RAM, Duo CPU Vista Ultimate SP1 IE7 and has been behaving nicely.

I've compared the settings on both the Dell and the HP. Nothing obvious has
surfaced so far, as the the reason for the issue.

I will post an update after the mem check.

Nice to have someone to communicate with over this issue.

--
Daniel Kutchin

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi dk,
>
> Try powering down... Remove one RAM chip. Power up. Power down. Install
> removed chip. Power up... (another guess, this worked for me when I couldn't
> reboot my machine after an unattended windows update and several unattended
> reboots , a hardware guy told me the trick).
>
> My MSHTML.dll version is 7.0.6001.18063. 3.41 MB.
>
> Vista Ultimate SP1.
>
> Regards.
>
> "dkutchin" <dkutchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Rob, thanks.
> >
> > The Vista Ultimate SP1 Software DVD is not from HP. I downloaded it from
> > TechNet Direct and burnt it on DVD myself.
> >
> > I had run compatibility checks successfully before the Install (as
> > recommended by MS). I didn't encounter any issue during the install. The
> > Eventvwr was clean after the install as well.
> >
> > It was (and it's still) in no Add-on Mode, because there aren't any
> > applications installed yet, nor any Active-X from any website. The install
> > is
> > really fresh.
> >
> > I thought all was fine until I surfed to download OneCare. OneCare would
> > be
> > the first application I'd install, if the IE crash ceased.
> >
> > I have checked for any OS-Updates after the install as well. None was
> > offered me.
> >
> > Because I had a functioning Vista on the box before; and also because
> > there
> > weren't any issues during the install, I never thought the HP Hardware
> > could
> > be a culprit. So thanks for pointing that out.. I will investigate in that
> > direction as well.
> >
> > Meanwhile, any more leads to follow would be nice.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Kutchin
> >

> > "rob^_^" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi dk,
> >>
> >> Further to what Bear has said..
> >>
> >> This is only a guess as it is impossible to reproduce your environment.
> >>
> >> Assuming your "Vista" DVD is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
> >> version...
> >>
> >> First check for updates for your drivers by doing a windows update. From
> >> memory there were problems with some HP provided drivers.
> >>
> >> HP also ship their own security package with their PC's. Look under your
> >> Programs menu for the HP Security Center and check its settings or turn
> >> it
> >> off (I am not sure of the options it offers)
> >>
> >> Have you tried running IE7 in no-Addons mode (HP may have shipped some
> >> toolbars with their OS version)
> >>
> >> Start>(All) Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no
> >> Addons).
> >>
> >> Uninstall or disable any Toolbar or Browser Helper Addons using the
> >> Tools>Manage Addons menu.
> >>
> >> Regards.
> >>
> >> "dkutchin" <dkutchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news9C45093-C025-449E-A69C-C3DEAE96B531@microsoft.com...

dkutchin

Re: IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86
Thanks. It's nice to talk to this community.

I'm giving Rob's idea a try. I've restarted on each stick and the issue
remained. So I've done a clean install on 1Gig of RAM. The issue persisted.
Wonder if I'll swap RAMs and clean-install with the other 2Gig stick.

I also read on the OneCare Forum that the MSXML Module must also be
installed properly (they were referring to non-Vista systems tho). Pondering
it as well.

I can't find any patch announcements by HP for the Pavilion. So I'm relying
on the eventvwr to tell me when a driver is absent or misbehaving.

I've enabled "check for Updates". None oferred yet.

Oh, the OS Veriosn I installed on the HP says, "Version 6.0 (Build 6001:
Service Pack 1) (Debug)" What does the "Debug" mean? I don't have it on the
older Dell machine which is also running Vista Ultimate SP1. Btw the OS on
the Dell was also downloaded from TechNet Direct (it didn't have the SP1
in-built then).

Never heard about Service Contracts or warranties before. I bought a
replacement from a different vendor the next time.

Will update soon.

--
Daniel Kutchin

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Stick with Rob on this one. It may be that your machine didn't have the
> requisite HP drivers installed to be able to do a clean install of a non-HP
> version of Vista SP1. This would especially be the case since it's a
> Notebook PC.
>
> If the machine came with one or more HP Drivers CDs, use them or download
> from HP Support & Drivers.
>
> Both Rob and I are presuming that it's not a Vista SP1 Beta or Release
> Candidate build, that Automatic Updates is enabled, that the machine's fully
> patched, and that you're aware that your HP Warranty or Service Contract is
> no longer valid.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> dkutchin wrote:
> > Thanks for the quick response.
> > Both ways. On the latest install I booted from the DVD to install Windows
> > Vista SP1 and I was offered no option to upgrade.
> >
> >> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE7 crash, mshtml.dll error on new Vista ultimate SP1 x86
> Oh, the OS Veriosn I installed on the HP says, "Version 6.0 (Build 6001:
> Service Pack 1) (Debug)" What does the "Debug" mean?

In short, you didn't download the correct file from TechNet to do what you
wanted to do.