IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail

jimmy

IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail
"send link by email" opens new window w/log-on prompt. I have XP/OS, IE7 and
msn hotmail live via verizon DSL. Internet options files have been cleaned,
reset to defaults and internet explorer restored. windows live mail is the
default mail client on all users in Internet options/Program & in program
access and defaults
Even tried latest microsoft updates including SP3. any Idea's???

Re: IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail
And what happens if Windows Live Mail is already running when you use the
"Send link by email" feature?

When you open Windows Live Mail, don't you encounter the same log-in prompt?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jimmy wrote:
> "send link by email" opens new window w/log-on prompt. I have XP/OS, IE7
> and msn hotmail live via verizon DSL. Internet options files have been
> cleaned, reset to defaults and internet explorer restored. windows live
> mail is the default mail client on all users in Internet options/Program
> &
> in program access and defaults
> Even tried latest microsoft updates including SP3. any Idea's???

jimmy

Re: IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail
Yes, even if windows live mail is already open I still recieve this and if
you continue to log on you recieve a fatal log-on error. as it stands the
only way to send a link is to copy from address bar and paste on new email
page. If you try to, say share a video from "you tube" you get the same
response. did I mention that I have all
add-ons disabled.???

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And what happens if Windows Live Mail is already running when you use the
> "Send link by email" feature?
>
> When you open Windows Live Mail, don't you encounter the same log-in prompt?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> jimmy wrote:
> > "send link by email" opens new window w/log-on prompt. I have XP/OS, IE7
> > and msn hotmail live via verizon DSL. Internet options files have been
> > cleaned, reset to defaults and internet explorer restored. windows live
> > mail is the default mail client on all users in Internet options/Program
> > &
> > in program access and defaults
> > Even tried latest microsoft updates including SP3. any Idea's???

Re: IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail
I'm forwarding you to the Windows Live Mail-specific newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop) via crosspost in hopes that
someone there may be able to assist you in another reply, Jimmy.
--
~PA Bear

jimmy wrote:
> Yes, even if windows live mail is already open I still recieve this and if
> you continue to log on you recieve a fatal log-on error. as it stands the
> only way to send a link is to copy from address bar and paste on new email
> page. If you try to, say share a video from "you tube" you get the same
> response. did I mention that I have all
> add-ons disabled.???
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> And what happens if Windows Live Mail is already running when you use the
>> "Send link by email" feature?
>>
>> When you open Windows Live Mail, don't you encounter the same log-in
>> prompt? --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> jimmy wrote:
>>> "send link by email" opens new window w/log-on prompt. I have XP/OS,
>>> IE7
>>> and msn hotmail live via verizon DSL. Internet options files have been
>>> cleaned, reset to defaults and internet explorer restored. windows live
>>> mail is the default mail client on all users in Internet options/Program
>>> &
>>> in program access and defaults
>>> Even tried latest microsoft updates including SP3. any Idea's???

Peter.R

Re: IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail
What version of Windows Live Mail are you using (Help->About Microsoft Windows Live Mail)? The latest version is build 12.0.1606

--
Cheers,
Peter

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OjuxAEf8IHA.4924@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> I'm forwarding you to the Windows Live Mail-specific newsgroup
> (microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop) via crosspost in hopes that
> someone there may be able to assist you in another reply, Jimmy.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> jimmy wrote:

>> Yes, even if windows live mail is already open I still recieve this and if
>> you continue to log on you recieve a fatal log-on error. as it stands the
>> only way to send a link is to copy from address bar and paste on new email
>> page. If you try to, say share a video from "you tube" you get the same
>> response. did I mention that I have all
>> add-ons disabled.???
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

>>> And what happens if Windows Live Mail is already running when you use the
>>> "Send link by email" feature?
>>>
>>> When you open Windows Live Mail, don't you encounter the same log-in
>>> prompt? --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Peter.R

Re: IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail
[Continuing cross-post for wider distribution of this information, as it also relates to Internet Explorer].

Hi again Jimmy.

Is the login dialog box you see the same as in this screenshot, which shows the 'loginnet.passport.com' login dialog box?
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1...npromptxg7.png

It appears that that the 'Send Link by E-mail...' option in IE7 is trying to access Windows Live Hotmail (it must be set as a default), so you should be able to use your Hotmail address/password to access your Hotmail in IE7 through this login dialog box.

Is a web page opening up behind the login window (if so, does the address start with http://www.hotmail.com/)?

If you click the Cancel button, does a blank web page open with the address starting with http://loginnet.passport.com/ ?

If your Hotmail address and password does not work, delete your Temporary Internet Files and Cookies, and try again. If it still does not work, go to http://loginnet.passport.com and sign in with your Hotmail address and password, after checking "save my e-mail address", then try again.

However, I imagine you would prefer Windows Live Mail to open when you are using the 'Send Link by E-mail...' option in IE7.

Firstly, Microsoft Outlook can silently steal some of the the e-mail defaults when you open it, so if you have Outlook installed, uncheck the option: "Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar" at Tools->Options...->Other [tab] in Outlook.

Previous versions of WLMail had a bug that made setting it as the default e-mail program difficult, so make sure you have the latest version (12.0.1606) from http://get.live.com/wl/config_all

In XP, apart from making Windows Live Mail the default Mail handler at WLMail's Tools->options...->General [tab], also ensure it is set as the default E-mail program through: Start->Control Panel->Internet Options->Programs [tab].

Then go to: Start->Set Program Access and Defaults->Custom, and check "Windows Live Mail" under "Choose a default e-mail program :"

If these actions fail to reset WLMail to the default e-mail handler, then change the default to some other e-mail program (E.g. Outlook Express), then go back and change it to WLMail again.

--
Cheers,
Peter
(Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 with Windows Live Mail 12.0.1606)
"There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare
---------------

> jimmy wrote:

>> Yes, even if windows live mail is already open I still recieve this and if
>> you continue to log on you recieve a fatal log-on error. as it stands the
>> only way to send a link is to copy from address bar and paste on new email
>> page. If you try to, say share a video from "you tube" you get the same
>> response. did I mention that I have all
>> add-ons disabled.???
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

>>> And what happens if Windows Live Mail is already running when you use the
>>> "Send link by email" feature?
>>>
>>> When you open Windows Live Mail, don't you encounter the same log-in
>>> prompt? --

>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jimmy

Re: IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail
Thank You! reinstalled version 9.0 and everything is ok now, hate to upgrade
if things are working.

"Peter.R" wrote:

> What version of Windows Live Mail are you using (Help->About Microsoft Windows Live Mail)? The latest version is build 12.0.1606
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Peter
> (Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 with Windows Live Mail 12.0.1606)
> "There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare
> ---------------
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OjuxAEf8IHA.4924@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
> > I'm forwarding you to the Windows Live Mail-specific newsgroup
> > (microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop) via crosspost in hopes that
> > someone there may be able to assist you in another reply, Jimmy.
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >
> > jimmy wrote:
> >> Yes, even if windows live mail is already open I still recieve this and if
> >> you continue to log on you recieve a fatal log-on error. as it stands the
> >> only way to send a link is to copy from address bar and paste on new email
> >> page. If you try to, say share a video from "you tube" you get the same
> >> response. did I mention that I have all
> >> add-ons disabled.???

Peter.R

Re: IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail
Glad it works fine now Jimmy, but version *9* - are you sure?

Windows Live Mail went from version 8.0.1226 (Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta) to version 12.0.1184 (Windows Live Mail Beta 1).

--

"jimmy" <jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AAA31DBC-5055-4168-B78E-F24A206260C0@microsoft.com...

> Thank You! reinstalled version 9.0 and everything is ok now, hate to upgrade
> if things are working.
>
> "Peter.R" wrote:
>

>> What version of Windows Live Mail are you using (Help->About Microsoft Windows Live Mail)? The latest version is build 12.0.1606
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Peter
>> (Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 with Windows Live Mail 12.0.1606)
>> "There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare
>> ---------------
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OjuxAEf8IHA.4924@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>

>> > I'm forwarding you to the Windows Live Mail-specific newsgroup
>> > (microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop) via crosspost in hopes that
>> > someone there may be able to assist you in another reply, Jimmy.
>> > --
>> > ~PA Bear

...winston

Re: IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail
Possibly Msn Premium 9.x
- MSn Premium latest deployment is version 9.6. Note: Partner DSL/MSn Premium accounts may be limited to version 9.5.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

"Peter.R" <Peter.R@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message news:u1mtyHn8IHA.2336@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Glad it works fine now Jimmy, but version *9* - are you sure?
>
> Windows Live Mail went from version 8.0.1226 (Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta) to version 12.0.1184 (Windows Live Mail Beta 1).
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Peter
> (Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 with Windows Live Mail 12.0.1606)
> "There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare
> ---------------
>
> "jimmy" <jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AAA31DBC-5055-4168-B78E-F24A206260C0@microsoft.com...
>
>> Thank You! reinstalled version 9.0 and everything is ok now, hate to upgrade
>> if things are working.
>>
>> "Peter.R" wrote:
>>
>>> What version of Windows Live Mail are you using (Help->About Microsoft Windows Live Mail)? The latest version is build
>>> 12.0.1606
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Peter
>>> (Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 with Windows Live Mail 12.0.1606)
>>> "There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare

jimmy

Re: IE7 send link by email, XP + hot mail
version 9.50.0039.1900 to be exact, which is distributed with Verizon in
their MSN premium package. Seems that when I set up this new PC I left out a
crucial part of this package. Thanks for fliping on the switch. . . Jimmy