IE 7 freezes but AOL works fine

gofer115

IE 7 freezes but AOL works fine
IE freezes on "connecting" and I usually have to do "ctr,alt,del" to stop the
process. It was working fine and I haven't downloaded any new programs
recently. I am fairly computer literate and have attepted the following
steps to repair the problem with no success; I have checked for duplicate
winsock.dll files and have found none, I have ran chkdsk/r, I have pinged an
ip with four packets of data and received four packets in return, I have
disconected my dsl and tried my pc card with the same results, I have
disabled ALL firewalls and anti-virus software-no success, I have done a
complete virus scan and a spyware scan with none found, I have changed
systems bios to original setup configuration, I have emptied the cache file
and ran disc cleanup, I have done two system restores, I have also tried to
reset the original ie settings under internet options. All to no avail. The
only way I can get online is to use the AOL software which seems to be
working just fine.
Someone PLEASE HELP!

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 freezes but AOL works fine
This is frequently caused by an incompatible browser add-on. The
troubleshooting steps described below will help you to diagnose and fix
the problem:

How to Optimize or Reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/

(Give the Guided Help a try.)

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

gofer115 wrote:
> IE freezes on "connecting" and I usually have to do "ctr,alt,del" to stop the
> process. It was working fine and I haven't downloaded any new programs
> recently. I am fairly computer literate and have attepted the following
> steps to repair the problem with no success; I have checked for duplicate
> winsock.dll files and have found none, I have ran chkdsk/r, I have pinged an
> ip with four packets of data and received four packets in return, I have
> disconected my dsl and tried my pc card with the same results, I have
> disabled ALL firewalls and anti-virus software-no success, I have done a
> complete virus scan and a spyware scan with none found, I have changed
> systems bios to original setup configuration, I have emptied the cache file
> and ran disc cleanup, I have done two system restores, I have also tried to
> reset the original ie settings under internet options. All to no avail. The
> only way I can get online is to use the AOL software which seems to be
> working just fine.
> Someone PLEASE HELP!

gofer115

Re: IE 7 freezes but AOL works fine
Thanks Leonard, I have tried this as well and IE behaves exactly the same in
"no add ons" mode as it does in normal mode. I suppose it's possible that I
picked up some malware somewheres but it doesn't seem likely as I haven't
intentionally downloaded any programs in the last few weeks other than the
reinstallation of IE7 and I have anti-virus and anti-spyware running
constantly.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> This is frequently caused by an incompatible browser add-on. The
> troubleshooting steps described below will help you to diagnose and fix
> the problem:
>
> How to Optimize or Reset Internet Explorer 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/
>
> (Give the Guided Help a try.)
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> gofer115 wrote:
> > IE freezes on "connecting" and I usually have to do "ctr,alt,del" to stop the
> > process. It was working fine and I haven't downloaded any new programs
> > recently. I am fairly computer literate and have attepted the following
> > steps to repair the problem with no success; I have checked for duplicate
> > winsock.dll files and have found none, I have ran chkdsk/r, I have pinged an
> > ip with four packets of data and received four packets in return, I have
> > disconected my dsl and tried my pc card with the same results, I have
> > disabled ALL firewalls and anti-virus software-no success, I have done a
> > complete virus scan and a spyware scan with none found, I have changed
> > systems bios to original setup configuration, I have emptied the cache file
> > and ran disc cleanup, I have done two system restores, I have also tried to
> > reset the original ie settings under internet options. All to no avail. The
> > only way I can get online is to use the AOL software which seems to be
> > working just fine.
> > Someone PLEASE HELP!

Re: IE 7 freezes but AOL works fine
Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)?

What do you mean by "ALL firewalls [plural] and anti-virus software"? How
many of these applications are installed?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

gofer115 wrote:
> IE freezes on "connecting" and I usually have to do "ctr,alt,del" to stop
> the process. It was working fine and I haven't downloaded any new
> programs
> recently. I am fairly computer literate and have attepted the following
> steps to repair the problem with no success; I have checked for duplicate
> winsock.dll files and have found none, I have ran chkdsk/r, I have pinged
> an
> ip with four packets of data and received four packets in return, I have
> disconected my dsl and tried my pc card with the same results, I have
> disabled ALL firewalls and anti-virus software-no success, I have done a
> complete virus scan and a spyware scan with none found, I have changed
> systems bios to original setup configuration, I have emptied the cache
> file
> and ran disc cleanup, I have done two system restores, I have also tried
> reset the original ie settings under internet options. All to no avail.
> The
> only way I can get online is to use the AOL software which seems to be
> working just fine.
> Someone PLEASE HELP!

gofer115

Re: IE 7 freezes but AOL works fine
I am running WinXP SP2. I just have the Windows firewall and the AOL
firewall, but just had the AOL firewall active when the problem first
happened. I subsequently disabled the AOL firewall and activated the Windows
firewall before attempting to reconnect with IE7. After an unsuccesful
attempt at connecting, I also deactivated the Windows firewall and the AOL
(McAfee) antivirus software. After again trying to connect unsuccessfully, I
reactivated the AOL firewall and antivirus.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)?
>
> What do you mean by "ALL firewalls [plural] and anti-virus software"? How
> many of these applications are installed?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> gofer115 wrote:
> > IE freezes on "connecting" and I usually have to do "ctr,alt,del" to stop
> > the process. It was working fine and I haven't downloaded any new
> > programs
> > recently. I am fairly computer literate and have attepted the following
> > steps to repair the problem with no success; I have checked for duplicate
> > winsock.dll files and have found none, I have ran chkdsk/r, I have pinged
> > an
> > ip with four packets of data and received four packets in return, I have
> > disconected my dsl and tried my pc card with the same results, I have
> > disabled ALL firewalls and anti-virus software-no success, I have done a
> > complete virus scan and a spyware scan with none found, I have changed
> > systems bios to original setup configuration, I have emptied the cache
> > file
> > and ran disc cleanup, I have done two system restores, I have also tried
> > reset the original ie settings under internet options. All to no avail.
> > The
> > only way I can get online is to use the AOL software which seems to be
> > working just fine.
> > Someone PLEASE HELP!

Re: IE 7 freezes but AOL works fine
Repeat after me: "I will only have one firewall enabled at any given time.
I will not connect to the internet without a firewall enabled."

1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons; or

Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
add-ons).

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist?

=> If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs!]

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Required reading IMHO before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IMPORTANT! => IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
~PA Bear