Printing problems

Cdn Acct Inst

Printing problems
I can no longer print anything from Internet Explorer 7. Every attempt to
print results in a "cannot find file" message; it appears to be looking for a
file in different place than the cache. I have no problems printing from
other browsers or other MS programs. I would uninstall and reinstall, but
that doesn't appear to be an option with Vista.
Leonard Grey

Re: Printing problems
Internet Explorer 7 cannot be removed from Vista or reinstalled because
it's part of the operating system. Microsoft Word, for example, is a
separate program, so it can be removed and reinstalled.

"Error Message When You Print from Internet Explorer: Printing Error:
The Printer Cannot Be Found"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303360

Others have reported that this problem is caused by AVG 8.0. See the AVG
Free Support Forum at http://freeforum.avg.com/
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Cdn Acct Inst wrote:
> I can no longer print anything from Internet Explorer 7. Every attempt to
> print results in a "cannot find file" message; it appears to be looking for a
> file in different place than the cache. I have no problems printing from
> other browsers or other MS programs. I would uninstall and reinstall, but
> that doesn't appear to be an option with Vista.

Cdn Acct Inst

Re: Printing problems
Leonard,

Thank you, but I don't think this is it. The error message is not one of
not being able to find the printer, but one of not finding the .html file.
It appears that their is a disjoint between where the printing function is
looking for the current page and where the current page is actually being
stored. I have no idea why this is the case. As well, I don't have any
installation of AVG.

Thank you just the same.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Internet Explorer 7 cannot be removed from Vista or reinstalled because
> it's part of the operating system. Microsoft Word, for example, is a
> separate program, so it can be removed and reinstalled.
>
> "Error Message When You Print from Internet Explorer: Printing Error:
> The Printer Cannot Be Found"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303360
>
> Others have reported that this problem is caused by AVG 8.0. See the AVG
> Free Support Forum at http://freeforum.avg.com/
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Cdn Acct Inst wrote:
> > I can no longer print anything from Internet Explorer 7. Every attempt to
> > print results in a "cannot find file" message; it appears to be looking for a
> > file in different place than the cache. I have no problems printing from
> > other browsers or other MS programs. I would uninstall and reinstall, but
> > that doesn't appear to be an option with Vista.

Don Varnau

Re: Printing problems
Hi,
Is the error message similar to:
Cannot find file: C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/5DKDM7U8.htm ?
The name of the htm file is different, of course.

Do you have a Low folder at C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low ?

Can IE7 print if Protected Mode is disabled from Internet Options> Security>
"Enable Protected Mode?"

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Cdn Acct Inst" <CdnAcctInst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Leonard,
>
> Thank you, but I don't think this is it. The error message is not one of
> not being able to find the printer, but one of not finding the .html file.
> It appears that their is a disjoint between where the printing function is
> looking for the current page and where the current page is actually being
> stored. I have no idea why this is the case. As well, I don't have any
> installation of AVG.
>
> Thank you just the same.

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
> > Internet Explorer 7 cannot be removed from Vista or reinstalled because
> > it's part of the operating system. Microsoft Word, for example, is a
> > separate program, so it can be removed and reinstalled.
> >
> > "Error Message When You Print from Internet Explorer: Printing Error:
> > The Printer Cannot Be Found"
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303360
> >
> > Others have reported that this problem is caused by AVG 8.0. See the AVG
> > Free Support Forum at http://freeforum.avg.com/

> > Cdn Acct Inst wrote:
> > > I can no longer print anything from Internet Explorer 7. Every

attempt to
> > > print results in a "cannot find file" message; it appears to be

looking for a
> > > file in different place than the cache. I have no problems printing

from
> > > other browsers or other MS programs. I would uninstall and reinstall,

but
> > > that doesn't appear to be an option with Vista.

Cdn Acct Inst

Re: Printing problems
Don,

Thank you. That was helpful. I do not have a "Low" folder at that point,
and when I disabled "Protected Mode", I was able to print. I wonder how I
got to this point. I've also noticed that I can no longer add web-pages to
my favorites. Again, not an issue with Firefox. (In fact, an interesting
observation: My homepage is set to msn.sympatico.ca, a Microsoft-affiliated
site. However, the browsing through the media on this site is considerable
faster if I use Firefox or Opera. Any ideas why?)

Would you suggest that I create a "Low" folder or leave the "Protected Mode"
disabled. In the world of home wireless networks, Norton 360, etc., and
Vista repetitive permission seeking (although not quite as bad as portrayed
in the Mac ads), I no longer have much sense over what level of "security" is
reasonable.

Thanks again.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Is the error message similar to:
> Cannot find file: C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/5DKDM7U8.htm ?
> The name of the htm file is different, of course.
>
> Do you have a Low folder at C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low ?
>
> Can IE7 print if Protected Mode is disabled from Internet Options> Security>
> "Enable Protected Mode?"
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Cdn Acct Inst" <CdnAcctInst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Leonard,
> >
> > Thank you, but I don't think this is it. The error message is not one of
> > not being able to find the printer, but one of not finding the .html file.
> > It appears that their is a disjoint between where the printing function is
> > looking for the current page and where the current page is actually being
> > stored. I have no idea why this is the case. As well, I don't have any
> > installation of AVG.
> >
> > Thank you just the same.

> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> > > Internet Explorer 7 cannot be removed from Vista or reinstalled because
> > > it's part of the operating system. Microsoft Word, for example, is a
> > > separate program, so it can be removed and reinstalled.
> > >
> > > "Error Message When You Print from Internet Explorer: Printing Error:
> > > The Printer Cannot Be Found"
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303360
> > >
> > > Others have reported that this problem is caused by AVG 8.0. See the AVG
> > > Free Support Forum at http://freeforum.avg.com/

> attempt to

> looking for a

> from

> but

Re: Printing problems
Issue
========
When printing in IE7 on Vista SP1 with UAC enabled, the following error
message is received:

"Cannot find 'file:///c:/TEMP-S~1/Low/SXFJLS4I.htm'. Make sure the path
or Internet address is correct."

Cause
========
When UAC is enabled, IE7 is running under Protected Mode and can only write
to low integrity objects. The Temp\Low folder has incorrect integrity level
setting.

Resolution
========
Run the following command to set low integrity level on the Low folder:

icacls C:\Temp\Low /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

[Source: Microsoft Online Partner Support]
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Cdn Acct Inst wrote:
> Don,
>
> Thank you. That was helpful. I do not have a "Low" folder at that point,
> and when I disabled "Protected Mode", I was able to print. I wonder how I
> got to this point. I've also noticed that I can no longer add web-pages
> my favorites. Again, not an issue with Firefox. (In fact, an interesting
> observation: My homepage is set to msn.sympatico.ca, a
> Microsoft-affiliated
> site. However, the browsing through the media on this site is
> considerable
> faster if I use Firefox or Opera. Any ideas why?)
>
> Would you suggest that I create a "Low" folder or leave the "Protected
> Mode"
> disabled. In the world of home wireless networks, Norton 360, etc., and
> Vista repetitive permission seeking (although not quite as bad as
> portrayed
> in the Mac ads), I no longer have much sense over what level of "security"
> is reasonable.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Is the error message similar to:
>> Cannot find file: C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/5DKDM7U8.htm
>> ?
>> The name of the htm file is different, of course.
>>
>> Do you have a Low folder at C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low ?
>>
>> Can IE7 print if Protected Mode is disabled from Internet Options>
>> Security> "Enable Protected Mode?"
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Cdn Acct Inst" <CdnAcctInst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Leonard,
>>>
>>> Thank you, but I don't think this is it. The error message is not one
>>> of
>>> not being able to find the printer, but one of not finding the .html
>>> file.
>>> It appears that their is a disjoint between where the printing function
>>> is
>>> looking for the current page and where the current page is actually
>>> being
>>> stored. I have no idea why this is the case. As well, I don't have any
>>> installation of AVG.
>>>
>>> Thank you just the same.

Re: Printing problems
PS: I've got more...

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Issue
> ========
> When printing in IE7 on Vista SP1 with UAC enabled, the following error
> message is received:
>
> "Cannot find 'file:///c:/TEMP-S~1/Low/SXFJLS4I.htm'. Make sure the path
> or Internet address is correct."
>
> Cause
> ========
> When UAC is enabled, IE7 is running under Protected Mode and can only
> write
> to low integrity objects. The Temp\Low folder has incorrect integrity
> level
> setting.
>
> Resolution
> ========
> Run the following command to set low integrity level on the Low folder:
>
> icacls C:\Temp\Low /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low
>
> [Source: Microsoft Online Partner Support]
>
> Cdn Acct Inst wrote:
>> Don,
>>
>> Thank you. That was helpful. I do not have a "Low" folder at that
>> point,
>> and when I disabled "Protected Mode", I was able to print. I wonder how
>> got to this point. I've also noticed that I can no longer add web-pages
>> my favorites. Again, not an issue with Firefox. (In fact, an
>> interesting
>> observation: My homepage is set to msn.sympatico.ca, a
>> Microsoft-affiliated
>> site. However, the browsing through the media on this site is
>> considerable
>> faster if I use Firefox or Opera. Any ideas why?)
>>
>> Would you suggest that I create a "Low" folder or leave the "Protected
>> Mode"
>> disabled. In the world of home wireless networks, Norton 360, etc., and
>> Vista repetitive permission seeking (although not quite as bad as
>> portrayed
>> in the Mac ads), I no longer have much sense over what level of
>> "security"
>> is reasonable.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Is the error message similar to:
>>> Cannot find file: C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/5DKDM7U8.htm
>>> ?
>>> The name of the htm file is different, of course.
>>>
>>> Do you have a Low folder at C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low ?
>>>
>>> Can IE7 print if Protected Mode is disabled from Internet Options>
>>> Security> "Enable Protected Mode?"
>>>
>>> Don
>>> [MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Re: Printing problems
Hi,
The Low folder at [C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low] is deleted by
Vista's Disk Cleanup and other cleaning programs which clear the Temp
folder.

You should recreate that folder and give it the proper integrity level by:
Start> Run, enter in the box: (copy & paste or type carefully - change
"YourName" to the account name)

icacls C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Temp\Low /setintegritylevel
(OI)(CI)low

(There is a space between "setintegritylevel" and (OI) )

Hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter to run the command with Administrator privileges.
- - -
You should then be able to re-enable Protected Mode.
In the future, don't allow third-party cleanup programs or Vista's Disk
Cleanup to clean the Temp folder. Clean it manually.
- - -

Regarding Favorites:
See:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/un...windows-vista/
- - -
Regarding slow browsing:
Check for a troublesome browser add-on (McAfee Site Advisor?)
See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
for troubleshooting information.
More at:

Windows Vista Help Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...7e1033.mspx#ER

It may help and can't hurt to clear the Temporary Internet Files, History
and Cookies.

> Don,
>
> Thank you. That was helpful. I do not have a "Low" folder at that point,
> and when I disabled "Protected Mode", I was able to print. I wonder how I
> got to this point. I've also noticed that I can no longer add web-pages

> my favorites. Again, not an issue with Firefox. (In fact, an interesting
> observation: My homepage is set to msn.sympatico.ca, a

Microsoft-affiliated
> site. However, the browsing through the media on this site is

considerable
> faster if I use Firefox or Opera. Any ideas why?)
>
> Would you suggest that I create a "Low" folder or leave the "Protected

Mode"
> disabled. In the world of home wireless networks, Norton 360, etc., and
> Vista repetitive permission seeking (although not quite as bad as

portrayed
> in the Mac ads), I no longer have much sense over what level of "security"

is
> reasonable.
>
> Thanks again.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Is the error message similar to:
> > Cannot find file: C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/5DKDM7U8.htm

?
> > The name of the htm file is different, of course.
> >
> > Do you have a Low folder at C:/Users/user name/AppData/Local/Temp/Low ?
> >
> > Can IE7 print if Protected Mode is disabled from Internet Options>

Security>
> > "Enable Protected Mode?"
> >

> > "Cdn Acct Inst" <CdnAcctInst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Leonard,
> > >
> > > Thank you, but I don't think this is it. The error message is not one

of
> > > not being able to find the printer, but one of not finding the .html

file.
> > > It appears that their is a disjoint between where the printing

function is
> > > looking for the current page and where the current page is actually

being
> > > stored. I have no idea why this is the case. As well, I don't have

any
> > > installation of AVG.
> > >
> > > Thank you just the same.

because

Error:

AVG

> > attempt to

> > looking for a

printing
> > from

reinstall,
> > but

Vista Newbie

Re: Printing problems
Thanks, Don. After several minutes of playing with this, I got IE7 to
print.

This is exhausting. How does the lay user make it through a week without
knowing how to tweak Windows? If Windows were a car that I relied on to go
to work, I'd be absent from or late to work more often than my employer
would tolerate.

Why is it that Firefox or Safari seem to just work all the time and IE seems
to be a work in progress. Every time IE stubbornly refuses to do what I
need (load a page, print a page, play a sound, not crash, etc.) I launch
Safari or Firefox and ...Voilà - Success. No, I am not a MAC user - just a
PC user who cannot afford to buy a MAC.