RE: IE 'Save Image As' Bitmap - Actual Problem Identified

colin2546

RE: IE 'Save Image As' Bitmap - Actual Problem Identified
I've tried emptying temp cache, removed corrupted downloads, the lot.
It still will only save in bitmap.
Is there anything in your registry which can be corrupted in anyway?

"Greg Steirer" wrote:

> I have been battling the 'Save Image As' Untitled.bmp with a specific site
> that I run. I have looked up info on this problem but came up with the same
> thing - "clear your IE cache" which typically doesn't work with IE 6.0 or
> 7.0. The curious thing is that it was only happening on one of our sites; I
> could visit one site and save images properly, but this one site had the
> problem.
>
> After much review, I found that the difference was a setting in IIS under
> the HTTP Headers tab. I was using the 'enable content expiration' feature
> and the setting was checked to 'expire immediately'. I unchecked it,
> restarted the website and VOILA, I could save all the images properly from
> within IE 6 or IE 7. I tried to reproduce the problem, so I went back into
> IIS, I checked 'enable content expiration', and selected 'expire immediately'
> and bingo, the Untitled.bmp problem appears. I tinkered with the setting and
> set it to 'expire after 1 minute' and this allows for the images to still
> save properly.
>
> So there you have it. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere, and to my
> knowledge, Microsoft has not made this correlation. What this means is that
> IE is interpreting this setting through the HTTP header and it is causing the
> 'save image as' problem because of some malfunction in IE. Other web servers
> can pass this info with the HTTP header, so IIS is not the only contributor
> to the problem. If anyone out there has something to contribute to this
> important discovery, please chime in. Someone from MS, please review this
> post and see if it can be validated as being accurate.
>
> --
> Best Regards, Greg Steirer
>
> -------------------------------
> Greg Steirer
> President
> (951) 278-0800 x7000
>
> Son Integration, Inc.
> IT Solutions for Your Business
> www.sonint.com
>
> SmartRabbit
> Multiply Your Business
> www.smartrabbit.com
>

> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Re: IE 'Save Image As' Bitmap - Actual Problem Identified
Internet Explorer saves images as bitmaps (.bmp Files):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810978

[Ignore APPLIES TO section]
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

colin2546 wrote:
> I've tried emptying temp cache, removed corrupted downloads, the lot.
> It still will only save in bitmap.
> Is there anything in your registry which can be corrupted in anyway?
>
> "Greg Steirer" wrote:
>
>> I have been battling the 'Save Image As' Untitled.bmp with a specific
>> site
>> that I run. I have looked up info on this problem but came up with the
>> same thing - "clear your IE cache" which typically doesn't work with IE
>> 6.0 or
>> 7.0. The curious thing is that it was only happening on one of our
>> sites;
>> I could visit one site and save images properly, but this one site had
>> the
>> problem.
>>
>> After much review, I found that the difference was a setting in IIS under
>> the HTTP Headers tab. I was using the 'enable content expiration'
>> feature
>> and the setting was checked to 'expire immediately'. I unchecked it,
>> restarted the website and VOILA, I could save all the images properly
>> from
>> within IE 6 or IE 7. I tried to reproduce the problem, so I went back
>> into
>> IIS, I checked 'enable content expiration', and selected 'expire
>> immediately' and bingo, the Untitled.bmp problem appears. I tinkered
>> with
>> the setting and set it to 'expire after 1 minute' and this allows for the
>> images to still save properly.
>>
>> So there you have it. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere, and to my
>> knowledge, Microsoft has not made this correlation. What this means is
>> that IE is interpreting this setting through the HTTP header and it is
>> causing the 'save image as' problem because of some malfunction in IE.
>> Other web servers can pass this info with the HTTP header, so IIS is not
>> the only contributor to the problem. If anyone out there has something
>> contribute to this important discovery, please chime in. Someone from
>> MS,
>> please review this post and see if it can be validated as being accurate.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards, Greg Steirer
>>
>> -------------------------------
>> Greg Steirer
>> President
>> (951) 278-0800 x7000
>>
>> Son Integration, Inc.
>> IT Solutions for Your Business
>> www.sonint.com
>>
>> SmartRabbit
>> Multiply Your Business
>> www.smartrabbit.com
>>

>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
>> and
>> then click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"colin2546" <colin2546@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've tried emptying temp cache, removed corrupted downloads, the lot.
> It still will only save in bitmap.
> Is there anything in your registry which can be corrupted in anyway?

That happens when the Temporary Internet Files are too full. In IE click
Tools | Internet Options. Click Delete Files in the Temporary Internet
files section of the General tab. On the next window place a check mark in
the box to Delete all offline content.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced and scroll
down to the Security section. Uncheck "Do not save encrypted pages to
disk".

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix the 'Content Type' settings:

regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
(and/or)
regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll (for WinXP)

--