Error Messages

Learner

Error Messages
Using Windows X Pro SP2 and updated patches.

I am getting more and more of these error reports when using IE Version 7.0:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16674, faulting module
ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00010f29.

What's happening and how can I "correct" the problem?

Thanks

Kayman

Re: Error Messages
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:06:46 +1000, Learner wrote:

> Using Windows X Pro SP2 and updated patches.

You'll need to upgrade to SP3. In the not-so-distant future, you won't be
able receiving security updates/patches for your WinXP operating system.

> I am getting more and more of these error reports when using IE Version 7.0:
> Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16674, faulting module
> ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00010f29.
> What's happening and how can I "correct" the problem?

Since you haven't upgraded to SP3 yet I suggest you consider uninstalling
IE7.
To uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these directions:
Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
IE7 and uninstall it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
--and--
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

Then download/install SP3.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Create an Automated System Recovery set using Backup
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

Then download/install IE7.
Read this before installing IE7:
Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.

Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!

Use this link instead:
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:

Save the program to your desktop then install.

Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.

Good luck
Learner

Re: Error Messages
Thanks Kayman, but surely by keeping up to date with Windows updates I am
not missing anything that is contained on SP3. I thought SP3 was all the
windows updates covered by SP1, SP2 and current updates to the release of
SP3?

"Kayman" <kaymanDeleteThis@operamail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:06:46 +1000, Learner wrote:
>
>> Using Windows X Pro SP2 and updated patches.

> You'll need to upgrade to SP3. In the not-so-distant future, you won't be
> able receiving security updates/patches for your WinXP operating system.
>
>> I am getting more and more of these error reports when using IE Version
>> 7.0:
>> Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16674, faulting
>> module
>> ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00010f29.
>> What's happening and how can I "correct" the problem?

> Since you haven't upgraded to SP3 yet I suggest you consider uninstalling
> IE7.
> To uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these directions:
> Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
> IE7 and uninstall it.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> --and--
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> Then download/install SP3.
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
>
> Create an Automated System Recovery set using Backup
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
>
> How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP
>
> Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx
>
> Then download/install IE7.
> Read this before installing IE7:
> Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>
> Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!
>
> Use this link instead:
> Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>
> Save the program to your desktop then install.
>
> Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
> updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.
>
> Good luck

Kayman

Re: Error Messages
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:26:16 +1000, Learner wrote:

> Thanks Kayman, but surely by keeping up to date with Windows updates I am
> not missing anything that is contained on SP3. I thought SP3 was all the
> windows updates covered by SP1, SP2 and current updates to the release of
> SP3?

I reiterate, in the not-so-distant future, you *will not* be able receiving
security updates/patches for your WinXP operating system.

Read this also:
Why Service Packs are Better Than Patches.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true

That's all I've got to offer.

Good luck

Re: Error Messages
1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons; or

Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist? If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs!]

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Required reading IMHO before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

====================

IMPORTANT! => IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Learner wrote:
> Using Windows X Pro SP2 and updated patches.
>
> I am getting more and more of these error reports when using IE Version
> 7.0:
>
> Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16674, faulting module
> ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00010f29.
>
> What's happening and how can I "correct" the problem?
>
> Thanks

Learner

Re: Error Messages
Thanks PA Bear - will work my way thru your suggestions.

Kayman, I am fully aware of the issues surrounding the lack of security
support in the not to distant future for XP :-)