IE7 Crashes immediately after opening

Tim

IE7 Crashes immediately after opening
I try to open IE7 and it crashes as soon as I click the icon.

Methods tried:
No add-on mode - did not work
Resetting internet options - did not work

This is on a Vista Business machine with SP1. The OS was installed on the
computer last Friday. All updates are current.

I installed IE8 Beta 1 just to see if it would work and it did.

So IE7 crashes on opening, IE8 works perfectly. I can live with IE8 but
would really like to know why IE7 craps out. It is driving me nuts.

Re: IE7 Crashes immediately after opening
Is IE8 Beta still installed?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tim wrote:
> I try to open IE7 and it crashes as soon as I click the icon.
>
> Methods tried:
> No add-on mode - did not work
> Resetting internet options - did not work
>
> This is on a Vista Business machine with SP1. The OS was installed on the
> computer last Friday. All updates are current.
>
> I installed IE8 Beta 1 just to see if it would work and it did.
>
> So IE7 crashes on opening, IE8 works perfectly. I can live with IE8 but
> would really like to know why IE7 craps out. It is driving me nuts.

Maveth

RE: IE7 Crashes immediately after opening
The same thing is happening to me, though I use XP. It happened suddenly
without any installations or anything to cause it.

I click the icon, the window for IE7 pops up briefly and just crashes
without a warning or error messege. I can't even open my email through msn.

"Tim" wrote:

> I try to open IE7 and it crashes as soon as I click the icon.
>
> Methods tried:
> No add-on mode - did not work
> Resetting internet options - did not work
>
> This is on a Vista Business machine with SP1. The OS was installed on the
> computer last Friday. All updates are current.
>
> I installed IE8 Beta 1 just to see if it would work and it did.
>
> So IE7 crashes on opening, IE8 works perfectly. I can live with IE8 but
> would really like to know why IE7 craps out. It is driving me nuts.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Maveth" <Maveth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The same thing is happening to me, though I use XP. It happened suddenly
> without any installations or anything to cause it.
>
> I click the icon, the window for IE7 pops up briefly and just crashes
> without a warning or error messege. I can't even open my email through
> msn.
>
> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> I try to open IE7 and it crashes as soon as I click the icon.
>>
>> Methods tried:
>> No add-on mode - did not work
>> Resetting internet options - did not work
>>
>> This is on a Vista Business machine with SP1. The OS was installed on the
>> computer last Friday. All updates are current.
>>
>> I installed IE8 Beta 1 just to see if it would work and it did.
>>
>> So IE7 crashes on opening, IE8 works perfectly. I can live with IE8 but
>> would really like to know why IE7 craps out. It is driving me nuts.

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email