(Dont') Expand Favorites Menu when adding favorite?

+Bob+

(Dont') Expand Favorites Menu when adding favorite?
Is there some way to get IE7 to NOT expand the favorites menu to show
every folder and sub folder when you are adding a favorite. I have a
lot of folders and this is almost unusable. I'd much prefer the
behavior of IE6 where you selectively expand the folders hierarchy you
want on-demand.

Thanks,
Leonard Grey

Re: (Dont') Expand Favorites Menu when adding favorite?
"I'd much prefer the behavior of IE6..."

Tools > Menu Bar

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

+Bob+ wrote:
> Is there some way to get IE7 to NOT expand the favorites menu to show
> every folder and sub folder when you are adding a favorite. I have a
> lot of folders and this is almost unusable. I'd much prefer the
> behavior of IE6 where you selectively expand the folders hierarchy you
> want on-demand.
>
> Thanks,

+Bob+

Re: (Dont') Expand Favorites Menu when adding favorite?
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:47:46 -0400, Leonard Grey
<l.grey@not.valid.net> wrote:

>"I'd much prefer the behavior of IE6..."
>
>Tools > Menu Bar

Say what? I don't have a "menu bar" option on the Tools menu.
Donald Anadell

"+Bob+" <uctraing@ultranet.com> wrote in message

> Is there some way to get IE7 to NOT expand the favorites menu to show
> every folder and sub folder when you are adding a favorite.

No, unfortunately.

And IE8 Beta displays this same behavior, so don't look for it to change any
time soon.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> I have a
> lot of folders and this is almost unusable. I'd much prefer the
> behavior of IE6 where you selectively expand the folders hierarchy you
> want on-demand.
>
> Thanks,

mae

Re: (Dont') Expand Favorites Menu when adding favorite?
Mine don't. (WinXPsp3;IE7)
I don't know the difference that cause some to have that problem.

I just start to type the name of a folder in the space provided and
it will show folder-subfolder beginning with that letter.
Skip from "b" to "S" or whatever.
If you click the down arrow it will scroll all folders from your selection.
If you don't want to scroll don't click the arrow.
The last Favorite folder you used on close,
should be the one that appears in the box
when you next choose "add to favorites".

Alternately, just drag the icon from the addressbar to a folder
in the pinned Favorites Center.
My folders here are collapsed until I click to expand.

mae

"+Bob+" <uctraing@ultranet.com> wrote in message
| Is there some way to get IE7 to NOT expand the favorites menu to show
| every folder and sub folder when you are adding a favorite. I have a
| lot of folders and this is almost unusable. I'd much prefer the
| behavior of IE6 where you selectively expand the folders hierarchy you
| want on-demand.
|
| Thanks,

Leonard Grey

Re: (Dont') Expand Favorites Menu when adding favorite?
If you don't have that menu option then there is something wrong with
your copy of Internet Explorer 7.

[Please do not snip previous posts in a thread.]

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

+Bob+ wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:47:46 -0400, Leonard Grey
> <l.grey@not.valid.net> wrote:
>
>> "I'd much prefer the behavior of IE6..."
>>
>> Tools > Menu Bar

> Say what? I don't have a "menu bar" option on the Tools menu.

Robert Aldwinckle

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> Mine don't. (WinXPsp3;IE7)
> I don't know the difference that cause some to have that problem.
>
> I just start to type the name of a folder in the space provided and
> it will show folder-subfolder beginning with that letter.
> Skip from "b" to "S" or whatever.

In fact if you're a really quick typist you can do better than matching
just one character. E.g. I can usually match at least two.

> If you click the down arrow it will scroll all folders from your selection.

That's what he wants to change. E.g. scroll to a subfolder which contains
other subfolders and then expand it/them somehow... ; )

Actually I just realized something. We have never really investigated
whether all these "subfolders" contain a desktop.ini file.
Perhaps they should?

E.g. in a cmd window when I do this:

cd /d %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
and
dir/s/a desktop.ini

I only see one in the main Favorites folder and one in the Links subfolder.
And (curiously) the one in Links is smaller than the one in the root?

Hmm... doesn't look like there's is much in either one though.
It could be interesting to see what IE6 does for comparison
on this tack.

> If you don't want to scroll don't click the arrow.
> The last Favorite folder you used on close,
> should be the one that appears in the box
> when you next choose "add to favorites".
>
> Alternately, just drag the icon from the addressbar to a folder
> in the pinned Favorites Center.
> My folders here are collapsed until I click to expand.

I agree with you. ; )

Robert
---

> mae
>
> "+Bob+" <uctraing@ultranet.com> wrote in message
> | Is there some way to get IE7 to NOT expand the favorites menu to show
> | every folder and sub folder when you are adding a favorite. I have a
> | lot of folders and this is almost unusable. I'd much prefer the
> | behavior of IE6 where you selectively expand the folders hierarchy you
> | want on-demand.
> |
> | Thanks,

+Bob+

Re: (Dont') Expand Favorites Menu when adding favorite?
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:26:41 -0400, Leonard Grey
<l.grey@not.valid.net> wrote:

>If you don't have that menu option then there is something wrong with
>your copy of Internet Explorer 7.

Guess so then. I do have an option to display the Menu Bar off
the Views menu.

>[Please do not snip previous posts in a thread.]

Please read up on "Newsgroup Etiquette". In addition to the section on
"why to trim previous posts", the section on top-posting should be of
particular interest to you.

+Bob+

Re: (Dont') Expand Favorites Menu when adding favorite?
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:34:09 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald@techemail.com> wrote:

>> Alternately, just drag the icon from the addressbar to a folder
>> in the pinned Favorites Center.
>> My folders here are collapsed until I click to expand.

>I agree with you. ; )

Thanks, looks like that's the best solution. I don't normally keep the
favorites list out but displaying it is and dragging is less grief
than trying to use the add-favorites option. I have 1000+ favorites in
100+ folders and using the default procedure is painful.

One has to wonder about MS... more and more frequently these days.
They keep making it harder to use their software in an ill-fated
attempt to make it easier.
mae

| On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:34:09 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
| <robald@techemail.com> wrote:
|
| >> Alternately, just drag the icon from the addressbar to a folder
| >> in the pinned Favorites Center.
| >> My folders here are collapsed until I click to expand.
| >

| >I agree with you. ; )
|
| Thanks, looks like that's the best solution. I don't normally keep the
| favorites list out but displaying it is and dragging is less grief
| than trying to use the add-favorites option. I have 1000+ favorites in
| 100+ folders and using the default procedure is painful.
|
| One has to wonder about MS... more and more frequently these days.
| They keep making it harder to use their software in an ill-fated
| attempt to make it easier.

If you don't want the favorites list pinned,
use CTRL+I to assess.

Another alternative - just use CTRL+D
and then the letter corresponding to the folder you want.

I think it is greatly improved. For example:
searching local restaurants and menus last night.
First ctrl+d went to that folder under Local.
After that all I had to do was just CTRL+D and click "add".

mae