IE7 Runs but is Memory Hog

William H. Bowen

IE7 Runs but is Memory Hog
Folks,

I'm at my wits end trying to fix a problem. I have 4 machines, all
running Windows XP with IE7 and 3 of them run IE7 just fine. The 4th
machine has a problem.

Machine is a Compaq Deskpro 800 MHz with 512MB RAM and a 2 GB swap
file (yeh, I knwo that is large - I'll explain in a moment). Windows
XP Pro with SP3 and all the updates to current.

If I start IE7 with the "-extoff" switch IE7 loads and runs just
fine and consumes a normal amount of memory (about 75 MB RAM and 40 MB
or so of swap file). If I start IE7 normally (no "-extoff" switch) IE7
loads but instantly consumes approx. 400 MB of RAM and nearly 700 MB
of swap file (now you see why I have the swap file set so large).
Other than the high memory consumption IE7 seems to work just fine.

I have gone in and manually disabled EVERY plugin, addin, etc. Even
went as far as removing all the plugins and ActiveX files and
stashing them in a temp directory. No dice - memory consumption is
still sky high.

BTW, I've also tried removing and reinstalling IE7 and SP3 (and all
the plugins like Adobe Flash): no change. BTW, if I uninstall IE7 what
I end up with for a web browser is a "little bit of this and a little
bit of that" - bits and pieces of both IE6 & IE7 ("About" claims it is
IE6 but the browser UI looks like IE7 including the tabs) that starts
but cannot access the web to load any pages (though it will load a
local HTML file).

I know I could probably blow the entire OS up and reload it all from
scratch but before I do that I'll just quit using IE and use nothing
but Firefox (which BTW runs just fine) - on the other hand doing this
would make Windows Update a royal pain.

Anyone have any ideas?? Any help would be very much appreciated.
I've been working with PCs since the old TRS-80 days and this one has
really got me stumped.

Best Regards,
Bill Bowen
Sacramento, CA
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: IE7 Runs but is Memory Hog
"William H. Bowen" <bowenw@whbowen.com> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> I'm at my wits end trying to fix a problem. I have 4 machines, all
> running Windows XP with IE7 and 3 of them run IE7 just fine. The 4th
> machine has a problem.
>
> Machine is a Compaq Deskpro 800 MHz with 512MB RAM and a 2 GB swap
> file (yeh, I knwo that is large - I'll explain in a moment). Windows
> XP Pro with SP3 and all the updates to current.
>
> If I start IE7 with the "-extoff" switch IE7 loads and runs just
> fine and consumes a normal amount of memory (about 75 MB RAM and 40 MB
> or so of swap file). If I start IE7 normally (no "-extoff" switch) IE7
> loads but instantly consumes approx. 400 MB of RAM and nearly 700 MB
> of swap file (now you see why I have the swap file set so large).
> Other than the high memory consumption IE7 seems to work just fine.
>
> I have gone in and manually disabled EVERY plugin, addin, etc. Even
> went as far as removing all the plugins and ActiveX files and
> stashing them in a temp directory. No dice - memory consumption is
> still sky high.
>
> BTW, I've also tried removing and reinstalling IE7 and SP3 (and all
> the plugins like Adobe Flash): no change. BTW, if I uninstall IE7 what
> I end up with for a web browser is a "little bit of this and a little
> bit of that" - bits and pieces of both IE6 & IE7 ("About" claims it is
> IE6 but the browser UI looks like IE7 including the tabs) that starts
> but cannot access the web to load any pages (though it will load a
> local HTML file).
>
> I know I could probably blow the entire OS up and reload it all from
> scratch but before I do that I'll just quit using IE and use nothing
> but Firefox (which BTW runs just fine) - on the other hand doing this
> would make Windows Update a royal pain.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?? Any help would be very much appreciated.
> I've been working with PCs since the old TRS-80 days and this one has
> really got me stumped.
>
> Best Regards,
> Bill Bowen
> Sacramento, CA

You are going to have to figure out which of the add-ons is causing the
problem.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Re: IE7 Runs but is Memory Hog
1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons; or

Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist? If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs!]

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Required reading IMHO before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

====================

IMPORTANT! => IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

William H. Bowen wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm at my wits end trying to fix a problem. I have 4 machines, all
> running Windows XP with IE7 and 3 of them run IE7 just fine. The 4th
> machine has a problem.
>
> Machine is a Compaq Deskpro 800 MHz with 512MB RAM and a 2 GB swap
> file (yeh, I knwo that is large - I'll explain in a moment). Windows
> XP Pro with SP3 and all the updates to current.
>
> If I start IE7 with the "-extoff" switch IE7 loads and runs just
> fine and consumes a normal amount of memory (about 75 MB RAM and 40 MB
> or so of swap file). If I start IE7 normally (no "-extoff" switch) IE7
> loads but instantly consumes approx. 400 MB of RAM and nearly 700 MB
> of swap file (now you see why I have the swap file set so large).
> Other than the high memory consumption IE7 seems to work just fine.
>
> I have gone in and manually disabled EVERY plugin, addin, etc. Even
> went as far as removing all the plugins and ActiveX files and
> stashing them in a temp directory. No dice - memory consumption is
> still sky high.
>
> BTW, I've also tried removing and reinstalling IE7 and SP3 (and all
> the plugins like Adobe Flash): no change. BTW, if I uninstall IE7 what
> I end up with for a web browser is a "little bit of this and a little
> bit of that" - bits and pieces of both IE6 & IE7 ("About" claims it is
> IE6 but the browser UI looks like IE7 including the tabs) that starts
> but cannot access the web to load any pages (though it will load a
> local HTML file).
>
> I know I could probably blow the entire OS up and reload it all from
> scratch but before I do that I'll just quit using IE and use nothing
> but Firefox (which BTW runs just fine) - on the other hand doing this
> would make Windows Update a royal pain.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?? Any help would be very much appreciated.
> I've been working with PCs since the old TRS-80 days and this one has
> really got me stumped.
>
> Best Regards,
> Bill Bowen
> Sacramento, CA

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 Runs but is Memory Hog
"William H. Bowen" <bowenw@whbowen.com> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> I'm at my wits end trying to fix a problem. I have 4 machines, all
> running Windows XP with IE7 and 3 of them run IE7 just fine. The 4th
> machine has a problem.
>
> Machine is a Compaq Deskpro 800 MHz with 512MB RAM and a 2 GB swap
> file (yeh, I knwo that is large - I'll explain in a moment). Windows
> XP Pro with SP3 and all the updates to current.
>
> If I start IE7 with the "-extoff" switch IE7 loads and runs just
> fine and consumes a normal amount of memory (about 75 MB RAM and 40 MB
> or so of swap file). If I start IE7 normally (no "-extoff" switch) IE7
> loads but instantly consumes approx. 400 MB of RAM and nearly 700 MB
> of swap file (now you see why I have the swap file set so large).
> Other than the high memory consumption IE7 seems to work just fine.
>
> I have gone in and manually disabled EVERY plugin, addin, etc. Even
> went as far as removing all the plugins and ActiveX files and
> stashing them in a temp directory. No dice - memory consumption is
> still sky high.

On which page? Including about:Blank?

> BTW, I've also tried removing and reinstalling IE7 and SP3 (and all
> the plugins like Adobe Flash): no change. BTW, if I uninstall IE7 what
> I end up with for a web browser is a "little bit of this and a little
> bit of that" - bits and pieces of both IE6 & IE7 ("About" claims it is
> IE6 but the browser UI looks like IE7 including the tabs) that starts
> but cannot access the web to load any pages (though it will load a
> local HTML file).

Starts how? What if you use Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter

iexplore.exe -new -nohome

Use Process Explorer to find out if there is a difference in the
file path that that one uses versus whatever you get doing whatever
you're doing to start a problem task.

BTW what are the resource requirements of that option
compared with the problem case? ; )

> I know I could probably blow the entire OS up and reload it all from
> scratch but before I do that I'll just quit using IE and use nothing
> but Firefox (which BTW runs just fine) - on the other hand doing this
> would make Windows Update a royal pain.
>
> Anyone have any ideas??

You could also try using Process Explorer to compare what each case
is loading under it. Using ProcMon could give you an even more detailed
view of what goes on.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---