Tools Internet Options

JOHNOH

Tools Internet Options
After years of use, Internet Emplorer woes not recognize my home page. I am
denied access to the section of Internet Options where the home page URL is
inserted. I have reinstalled Explorer to no avail. Any ideas? Many thanks.
Leonard Grey

Re: Tools Internet Options
Are you trying to say that you want to change your home page and cannot?
This question is asked again and again in this newsgroup. Your security
software is probably blocking you from changing your home page.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JOHNOH wrote:
> After years of use, Internet Emplorer woes not recognize my home page. I am
> denied access to the section of Internet Options where the home page URL is
> inserted. I have reinstalled Explorer to no avail. Any ideas? Many thanks.

ju.c

Re: Tools Internet Options
A policy setting may have been set. Check these registry keys and delete if found.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\Control Panel]
"HomePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Control Panel]
"HomePage"=dword:00000001

To enable changing the Home Page, change "HomePage"=dword:00000001 to
"HomePage"=dword:00000000.

ju.c

"JOHNOH" <JOHNOH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After years of use, Internet Emplorer woes not recognize my home page. I am
> denied access to the section of Internet Options where the home page URL is
> inserted. I have reinstalled Explorer to no avail. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Re: Tools Internet Options
Full Windows version? IE version? What anti-virus application or security
suite is installed? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

["woes" for "does"? Is that your Freudian slip showing? <eg>]
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

JOHNOH wrote:
> After years of use, Internet Emplorer woes not recognize my home page. I
> am
> denied access to the section of Internet Options where the home page URL
> is
> inserted. I have reinstalled Explorer to no avail. Any ideas? Many
> thanks.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Tools Internet Options
"JOHNOH" <JOHNOH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After years of use, Internet Emplorer woes not recognize my home page. I
> am
> denied access to the section of Internet Options where the home page URL
> is
> inserted. I have reinstalled Explorer to no avail. Any ideas? Many
> thanks.

It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
IBM Access Connections
Kaspersky
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Spyware Doctor
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
reinstall Zone Alarm.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

JOHNOH

Re: Tools Internet Options

"ju.c" wrote:

> A policy setting may have been set. Check these registry keys and delete if found.
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\Control Panel]
> "HomePage"=dword:00000001
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Control

> "HomePage"=dword:00000001
>
> To enable changing the Home Page, change "HomePage"=dword:00000001 to
> "HomePage"=dword:00000000.
>

> ju.c
>

> "JOHNOH" <JOHNOH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After years of use, Internet Emplorer woes not recognize my home page. I am
> > denied access to the section of Internet Options where the home page URL is
> > inserted. I have reinstalled Explorer to no avail. Any ideas? Many thanks.

I followed your instructions and solved the problem in minutes. After
spending hours removing and reinstalling browsers and anti virus programs,
you can imagine how grateful I am for your help. Again, many thanks.