HELP Explorer Pop Up Window Stays Stuck

Adam

HELP Explorer Pop Up Window Stays Stuck
Recently installed Internet Explorer 7. The intial settings window keeps
coming up no matter how many times i choose my setings. After i choose the
"choose my settings" button it says "quick and easy" - yeah right!? I choose
the 4 options (phishing etc.) then click on the "Save Your Settings" button
it then changes to "Applying Settings" and stays STUCK there. The next time I
start up the internet - the same thing happens. I have to keep typing in a
new URL to get to my destination. WHEN I CHANGE the default home page for
starting up explorer it STILL starts with the settings "1st time" page.
HELP!???

Re: HELP Explorer Pop Up Window Stays Stuck
You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
IE7's additional security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Adam wrote:
> Recently installed Internet Explorer 7. The intial settings window keeps
> coming up no matter how many times i choose my setings. After i choose the
> "choose my settings" button it says "quick and easy" - yeah right!? I
> choose
> the 4 options (phishing etc.) then click on the "Save Your Settings"
> button
> it then changes to "Applying Settings" and stays STUCK there. The next
> time
> I start up the internet - the same thing happens. I have to keep typing in
> new URL to get to my destination. WHEN I CHANGE the default home page for
> starting up explorer it STILL starts with the settings "1st time" page.
> HELP!???

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently installed Internet Explorer 7. The intial settings window keeps
> coming up no matter how many times i choose my setings. After i choose the
> "choose my settings" button it says "quick and easy" - yeah right!? I
> choose
> the 4 options (phishing etc.) then click on the "Save Your Settings"
> button
> it then changes to "Applying Settings" and stays STUCK there. The next
> time I
> start up the internet - the same thing happens. I have to keep typing in a
> new URL to get to my destination. WHEN I CHANGE the default home page for
> starting up explorer it STILL starts with the settings "1st time" page.
> HELP!???

It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
IBM Access Connections
Kaspersky
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Spyware Doctor
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
reinstall Zone Alarm.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email