RE: Disabling the Redirect to Search Engine

Pollen62

RE: Disabling the Redirect to Search Engine
I am looking for the answer to this question as well.
I am being redirected to a search page when an ad fails to load on a web page.
I only have the problem when I am using ad blocking software that prevents
the ad from loading.
The problem is not caused by adware, malware, a computer virus, or a
hijacked web url.
It is a "feature" of IE7.
The ad takes up only a small part of the web page, but when the ad is
blocked, IE7 will redirect the entire web page to the search engine, so I am
not able to stay on a page with a blocked ad.

I have the setting for search from address bar set to do not search from
address bar, but that does not solve the problem.

"John Rogers, Jr." wrote:

> How do I disable the IE "feature" that redirects me to a search page whenever
> a web address fails to load? It is mainly caused by banner ads on web pages
> that don't work.

Robert Aldwinckle

"Pollen62" <Pollen62@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for the answer to this question as well.
> I am being redirected to a search page when an ad fails to load on a web page.
> I only have the problem when I am using ad blocking software that prevents
> the ad from loading.
> The problem is not caused by adware, malware, a computer virus, or a
> hijacked web url.

> It is a "feature" of IE7.

Prove it. Hint: you can use Fiddler2 and ProcMon to get some traces
to analyse.

> The ad takes up only a small part of the web page, but when the ad is
> blocked, IE7 will redirect the entire web page to the search engine, so I am
> not able to stay on a page with a blocked ad.

Looks more like the site has figured out how to try to stop you from blocking
its advertising. Perhaps you should try a different anti-advertising app? <eg>

> I have the setting for search from address bar set to do not search from
> address bar, but that does not solve the problem.

BTW I don't think that your symptom has anything to do with the OP's
but if it does you could try asking your ISP if they have a "feechur"
which replaces failed DNS lookups or timed out HTTP requests
with searches of a major search engine they happen to be associated with.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---