Temporary Internet Files missing on laptop

Softshell

Temporary Internet Files missing on laptop
My laptop's running Vista Home Premium. When I access Temporary Internet
Files and Settings, View Files, I only see a dozen cookies and no temporary
files. I use MSN.COM as my Home Page, but the only cookie for msn.com shows
it being accessed May 19, 2008, even though I just opened MSN a few minutes
ago. On my XP desktop I have scores of current cookies and hundreds of
temporary files. Is there some setting I need to adjust on the laptop in
order to see these cookies and temporary files?

On the laptop I'm using Norton 360 V1 (V2 on my XP desktop). On a scheduled
Cleanup scan run on on the Vista laptop on July 25, the Norton program
indicates 2,520 items were cleaned up. I just did a manual scan and the
program indicates 2, 809 files were cleaned up. Prior to running the manual
scan, there were no temporary files showing in the View Files section. The
same dozen cookies are still showing. I have set Disk Space to use for temp
files at 100 MB.

Any help as to why I can't see these temporary items will be appreciated.
Thanks.

--
Joseph

Re: Temporary Internet Files missing on laptop
1. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key, uninstall all
Norton software (including LiveUpdate) via Add/Remove Programs.

2. Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #XX below until your anti-virus
application has been installed and fully updated!

3. Run this removal tool:

4. Reboot and /immediately/ install Avira AntiVir* (free), or the 30-day
free trial version of, e.g., NOD32**, KAV7***

5. Manually update your new anti-virus application then run a full system
scan.

Do your problems persist now?

[Don't forget to subscribe to your new AV app or uninstall it then reinstall
the Norton application before the free-trial period expires! Should you
decide to reinstall the Norton application, I recommend not installing any
Norton Add-ons for a while.]

* http://www.free-av.com/
** www.eset.com/download/index.php
*** http://usa.kaspersky.com/trials/home.../anti-virus-7/

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Softshell wrote:
> My laptop's running Vista Home Premium. When I access Temporary Internet
> Files and Settings, View Files, I only see a dozen cookies and no
> temporary
> files. I use MSN.COM as my Home Page, but the only cookie for msn.com
> shows
> it being accessed May 19, 2008, even though I just opened MSN a few
> minutes
> ago. On my XP desktop I have scores of current cookies and hundreds of
> temporary files. Is there some setting I need to adjust on the laptop in
> order to see these cookies and temporary files?
>
> On the laptop I'm using Norton 360 V1 (V2 on my XP desktop). On a
> scheduled
> Cleanup scan run on on the Vista laptop on July 25, the Norton program
> indicates 2,520 items were cleaned up. I just did a manual scan and the
> program indicates 2, 809 files were cleaned up. Prior to running the
> manual
> scan, there were no temporary files showing in the View Files section.
> The
> same dozen cookies are still showing. I have set Disk Space to use for
> temp
> files at 100 MB.
>
> Any help as to why I can't see these temporary items will be appreciated.
> Thanks.

Softshell

Re: Temporary Internet Files missing on laptop
Hi...I appreciate your suggestions. I followed them except I used the Norton
Removal Tool instead of the Add/Remove program. I then visited a few sites
and checked View Files again. However, the same dozen there before are the
only ones still listed, with no access being shown for today, July 27. No
viruses were detected during the manual virus scan.
A Norton download site had popped up after I used the Removal Tool and
reinstalled my Norton 360 product, without Add-ons, upgrading it to V 2.0
with my remaining days on the original subscription. After this reinstall, I
again checked View Files and noted that the Symanted Live Update site was
listed for today's date.
After rebooting, I visited some sites that attach cookies on my XP machine,
but, once again, they're not showing up on the Vista laptop. Any other
solutions would be much appreciated.
--
Joseph

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key, uninstall all
> Norton software (including LiveUpdate) via Add/Remove Programs.
>
> 2. Enable the Windows Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g.,
> browsing; reading email; chatting) except #XX below until your anti-virus
> application has been installed and fully updated!
>
> 3. Run this removal tool:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>
> 4. Reboot and /immediately/ install Avira AntiVir* (free), or the 30-day
> free trial version of, e.g., NOD32**, KAV7***
>
> 5. Manually update your new anti-virus application then run a full system
> scan.
>
> Do your problems persist now?
>
> [Don't forget to subscribe to your new AV app or uninstall it then reinstall
> the Norton application before the free-trial period expires! Should you
> decide to reinstall the Norton application, I recommend not installing any
> Norton Add-ons for a while.]
>
> * http://www.free-av.com/
> ** www.eset.com/download/index.php
> *** http://usa.kaspersky.com/trials/home.../anti-virus-7/
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Softshell wrote:
> > My laptop's running Vista Home Premium. When I access Temporary Internet
> > Files and Settings, View Files, I only see a dozen cookies and no
> > temporary
> > files. I use MSN.COM as my Home Page, but the only cookie for msn.com
> > shows
> > it being accessed May 19, 2008, even though I just opened MSN a few
> > minutes
> > ago. On my XP desktop I have scores of current cookies and hundreds of
> > temporary files. Is there some setting I need to adjust on the laptop in
> > order to see these cookies and temporary files?
> >
> > On the laptop I'm using Norton 360 V1 (V2 on my XP desktop). On a
> > scheduled
> > Cleanup scan run on on the Vista laptop on July 25, the Norton program
> > indicates 2,520 items were cleaned up. I just did a manual scan and the
> > program indicates 2, 809 files were cleaned up. Prior to running the
> > manual
> > scan, there were no temporary files showing in the View Files section.
> > The
> > same dozen cookies are still showing. I have set Disk Space to use for
> > temp
> > files at 100 MB.
> >
> > Any help as to why I can't see these temporary items will be appreciated.
> > Thanks.

Re: Temporary Internet Files missing on laptop
Contact Symantec Support, please.

Softshell wrote:
> [...]
>>> temporary files. Is there some setting I need to adjust on the laptop
>>> in
>>> order to see these cookies and temporary files?
>>>
>>> On the laptop I'm using Norton 360 V1 (V2 on my XP desktop). On a
>>> scheduled
>>> Cleanup scan run on on the Vista laptop on July 25, the Norton program
>>> indicates 2,520 items were cleaned up. I just did a manual scan and the
>>> program indicates 2, 809 files were cleaned up. Prior to running the
>>> manual
>>> scan, there were no temporary files showing in the View Files section.
>>> The
>>> same dozen cookies are still showing. I have set Disk Space to use for
>>> temp
>>> files at 100 MB.
>>>
>>> Any help as to why I can't see these temporary items will be
>>> Thanks.

Softshell

Re: Temporary Internet Files missing on laptop
Hi again...the problem existed even after Norton was completely uninstalled;
that is, no internet temp files or new cookies. Since Norton wasn't present
to conflict with Vista, what else might be causing the problem? Security and
Privacy settings are at the default levels.
--
Joseph

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Contact Symantec Support, please.
>
> Softshell wrote:
> > Hi...I appreciate your suggestions. I followed them except I used the
> > Norton Removal Tool instead of the Add/Remove program. I then visited a
> > few sites and checked View Files again. However, the same dozen there
> > before are the only ones still listed, with no access being shown for
> > today, July 27. No viruses were detected during the manual virus scan.
> > A Norton download site had popped up after I used the Removal Tool and
> > reinstalled my Norton 360 product, without Add-ons, upgrading it to V 2.0
> > with my remaining days on the original subscription. After this
> > reinstall,
> > I again checked View Files and noted that the Symanted Live Update site
> > was
> > listed for today's date.
> > After rebooting, I visited some sites that attach cookies on my XP
> > machine,
> > but, once again, they're not showing up on the Vista laptop. Any other
> > solutions would be much appreciated.
> >
> >> 1. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key, uninstall
> >> all
> >> Norton software (including LiveUpdate) via Add/Remove Programs.
> >>
> >> 2. Enable the Windows Firewall.
> >>
> >> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online
> >> (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #XX below until your
> >> anti-virus application has been installed and fully updated!
> >>
> >> 3. Run this removal tool:
> >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> >>
> >> 4. Reboot and /immediately/ install Avira AntiVir* (free), or the 30-day
> >> free trial version of, e.g., NOD32**, KAV7***
> >>
> >> 5. Manually update your new anti-virus application then run a full system
> >> scan.
> >>
> >> Do your problems persist now?
> >>
> >> [Don't forget to subscribe to your new AV app or uninstall it then
> >> reinstall the Norton application before the free-trial period expires!
> >> Should you decide to reinstall the Norton application, I recommend not
> >> installing any Norton Add-ons for a while.]
> >>
> >> * http://www.free-av.com/
> >> ** www.eset.com/download/index.php
> >> *** http://usa.kaspersky.com/trials/home.../anti-virus-7/
> >>
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Softshell

Re: Temporary Internet Files missing on laptop
Hi again...I discovered this afternoon that IE7 in Vista runs in Protected
Mode to keep the bad guys out. It was then a simple matter to go into
Internet Properties/Security and then uncheck "Enable Protected Mode" on
Internet and Local Intranet. After doing this, I went to a few sites and IE
popped up the warning box that Protected Mode was off. Then I opened up
Internet Properties, General, Settings, and View Files and... Eureka! There
they were--all the cookies and Temp files from the sites I had just visited.
Now that I know how to view them, I've re-enabled Protected Mode to still
keep the bad guys out. I appreciate your help.
--
Joseph