boxes to enter username and password don't show

bneuhausen

boxes to enter username and password don't show
I am running IE7 with Windows Home Basic. About two weeks ago, on certain
web sites--aol.com and my employer's portal--the boxes for entering my
username and password don't appear, so I can't log in. My antivirus and
malware protection is up to date, and I tried the Windows diagnositcs running
in safe mode with startup items, system items, and add-ons disabled. I also
tried the clean boot approach. The problem occurs even with the items
disabled. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Don Varnau

Re: boxes to enter username and password don't show
Hi,
Is a pop-up window being blocked? Is the IE7 pop-up blocker off?

If you have third-party toolbars with a pop-up blocking feature (Google,
Yahoo, etc) try uninstalling them instead of just disabling them. The Yahoo
toolbar has been known to block pop-ups even when disabled.

Next, with the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall browser add-ons, work through this
article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"bneuhausen" <bneuhausen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running IE7 with Windows Home Basic. About two weeks ago, on certain
> web sites--aol.com and my employer's portal--the boxes for entering my
> username and password don't appear, so I can't log in. My antivirus and
> malware protection is up to date, and I tried the Windows diagnositcs

running
> in safe mode with startup items, system items, and add-ons disabled. I

also
> tried the clean boot approach. The problem occurs even with the items
> disabled. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

bneuhausen

Re: boxes to enter username and password don't show
I have no third party pop-up blockers, and I have already worked through the
article and tried all the "optimizing" steps.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Is a pop-up window being blocked? Is the IE7 pop-up blocker off?
>
> If you have third-party toolbars with a pop-up blocking feature (Google,
> Yahoo, etc) try uninstalling them instead of just disabling them. The Yahoo
> toolbar has been known to block pop-ups even when disabled.
>
> Next, with the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> passwords and you will have to reinstall browser add-ons, work through this
> article:
> 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "bneuhausen" <bneuhausen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am running IE7 with Windows Home Basic. About two weeks ago, on certain
> > web sites--aol.com and my employer's portal--the boxes for entering my
> > username and password don't appear, so I can't log in. My antivirus and
> > malware protection is up to date, and I tried the Windows diagnositcs

> running
> > in safe mode with startup items, system items, and add-ons disabled. I

> also
> > tried the clean boot approach. The problem occurs even with the items
> > disabled. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Don Varnau

Re: boxes to enter username and password don't show
Hi,
Try placing the sites in the Trusted Sites zone.
Are you running a Norton security suite/firewall?