IE7 Blocked java page

Tim

IE7 Blocked java page
On a new computer with "default settings", IE 7 version 7.0.6001.18000, Vista
Home Premium 6.0.6001 SP1 Build 6001

A web page on the local drive fails to load and brings up the information
bar with the message:

"Your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls
installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly. Click here
for options..."

The only option displayed is "more information" which leads to the "help and
support" to talk about the information bar (?!?). Further investigation of
the page led to the company the generated the java script (Impatica) who
suggested changing the internet options Advanced security setting to "Allow
active content to run in files on My Computer". This didn't work even though
they claim it works on their systems.

The Internet security options are...confusing. I tried turning on every one
I found related to java, ActiveX, or scripting. These changes required
restarting IE and then produced the warning that the security settings put
the system at risk and the page was blocked. Tried turning off the Internet
protection mode. More warning about risk to the computer and the page still
blocked. Search the web for information and found suggestions to turn of the
UAC. No effect.

I am now down to the check of the installed Java version (Java says it out
of date but functional) but I don't have any confidence that this will affect
the security issue.

Of course, this page runs without error on XP.

Any ideas here?

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 Blocked java page
Hi,
You're encountering the "local machine zone lockdown" feature.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7150.aspx#EHAA

Probably won't help, but can't hurt, to clear the Temporary Internet Files.

Try giving the page/htm file the "mark of the web."

Or, rename the htm file to hta. HTA files aren't as restricted.

Note: Javascript isn't the same as Java. Your Java version may be a security
concern, you should be running the most recent version, but Java is probably
not a factor in this issue.
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp >>>
"Do I have Java?"

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On a new computer with "default settings", IE 7 version 7.0.6001.18000,

Vista
> Home Premium 6.0.6001 SP1 Build 6001
>
> A web page on the local drive fails to load and brings up the information
> bar with the message:
>
> "Your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls
> installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly. Click

here
> for options..."
>
> The only option displayed is "more information" which leads to the "help

and
> support" to talk about the information bar (?!?). Further investigation of
> the page led to the company the generated the java script (Impatica) who
> suggested changing the internet options Advanced security setting to

"Allow
> active content to run in files on My Computer". This didn't work even

though
> they claim it works on their systems.
>
> The Internet security options are...confusing. I tried turning on every

one
> I found related to java, ActiveX, or scripting. These changes required
> restarting IE and then produced the warning that the security settings put
> the system at risk and the page was blocked. Tried turning off the

Internet
> protection mode. More warning about risk to the computer and the page

still
> blocked. Search the web for information and found suggestions to turn of

the
> UAC. No effect.
>
> I am now down to the check of the installed Java version (Java says it out
> of date but functional) but I don't have any confidence that this will

affect
> the security issue.
>
> Of course, this page runs without error on XP.
>
> Any ideas here?

Tim

Re: IE7 Blocked java page
Don,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your help.

Ok, I read that section and yet...it/they don't seem to give any clear steps
on how to resolve the issue. Yes, I can make changes to the security settings
(Tools-Internet options-Security-Custom level) for any zone (what changes are
needed isn't clear) but the changes don't seem to have much effect. I have to
restart IE7 but I still get information bar warnings about system secuirty
and the page won't display. Specifically, I never get the message asking if I
want to allow the blocked content. Everything leads back to the security page
and telling me to change the settings to make the system secure i.e. to
restore the settings. It's a circular pathway.

So let me try to clarify the state of things to see if I can narrow down
where the problem lies.

Nothing has worked so far and I admit this is getting rather frustrating so
I'm sorry if I sound a little annoyed. However, in my mind at least, there is
no question that this is major fault with Vista/IE and at this point it seems
imbecilic.

I am the only user on the system and the system administrator.

Internet security settings for all zones have been reset to the default
levels.

There are three files involved: one *.html page and two *.jar files. All the
files are located on the hard drive under a folder I created in the Media
folder off the root. I use Windows Explorer to naviagate to the page and run
the *.html page.

The IE7 information bar tells me that "Your security settings do not allow
websites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer. This page may
not display correctly. Click here for options."

Clicking the information bar brings up one selection of "More Information"
which then leads to the Help and support app and with suggestions about the
information bar which is irrelevant. I can try query it but I haven't had any
success with that as most of it leads back to the Internet Options-Security.

The people at Impatica who generate the page tell me to go to the Internet
options-Advanced tab and under the security settings there enable the "Allow
active content to run file on My Computer". This has no effect and I get the
identical messages; on their systems this works and while I do not doubt them
I am at a loss to explain how this could possibly be so. Something (else)
should have changed.

Clearing all the temprorary internet pages via "Tools-Delete Browsing
History-Delete All" doesn't affect the problem.

Changing the file extension from *.html to *.hta has an interesting effect.
When I try to run the HTA file now I get the error message "Windows cannot
access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate
permissions to access the file." That's funny, at least from my seat. I'm the
only user and the system administrator; of course I have access permission!
It does, however, raise the possibility that IE7 is confused and restricted
about what files it can access. If so the question is where then are the file
required to be? Or how to get IE to access them? It will be a PITA if I am
forced to only use certain folders to store web pages.

The Mark of the Web solution didn't work. The page still comes up under
restricted settings and is blocked.

I did test the java runtime with the Sun test page and although they did say
the version was out of date it was functioning properly. Of course this leads
back to web pages on the local drive since web pages across the net seem to
function correctly.

I have two questions:

The security pages talk about adding a website to the trusted list but they
don't explain how to put a web page from the local drive in. They say if you
navigate to the web site and then bring up the security tool the page will
appear in the edit control. Local pages won't. If you copy the web page
address from the IE bar and paste that in it complains that the format is
wrong and won't accept it. This file has a long file name. How is this done?

Changes to these security settings don't seem to be doing anything at all.
After I make the change I close IE and then navigate to the page and try
again and get the same results. Do I have to shut down the machine in order
for these things to take effect?

Again, I'm sorry if this comes across as petulant. I am trying very hard not
to whine about this and trying to work to a solution. But I'm a Software
Engineer and I cannot imagine how anyone could think this program behavior is
anything but deeply flawed.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> You're encountering the "local machine zone lockdown" feature.
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7150.aspx#EHAA
>
> Probably won't help, but can't hurt, to clear the Temporary Internet Files.
>
> Try giving the page/htm file the "mark of the web."
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
>
> Or, rename the htm file to hta. HTA files aren't as restricted.
>
> Note: Javascript isn't the same as Java. Your Java version may be a security
> concern, you should be running the most recent version, but Java is probably
> not a factor in this issue.
> http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp >>>
> "Do I have Java?"
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On a new computer with "default settings", IE 7 version 7.0.6001.18000,

> Vista
> > Home Premium 6.0.6001 SP1 Build 6001
> >
> > A web page on the local drive fails to load and brings up the information
> > bar with the message:
> >
> > "Your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls
> > installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly. Click

> here
> > for options..."
> >
> > The only option displayed is "more information" which leads to the "help

> and
> > support" to talk about the information bar (?!?). Further investigation of
> > the page led to the company the generated the java script (Impatica) who
> > suggested changing the internet options Advanced security setting to

> "Allow
> > active content to run in files on My Computer". This didn't work even

> though
> > they claim it works on their systems.
> >
> > The Internet security options are...confusing. I tried turning on every

> one
> > I found related to java, ActiveX, or scripting. These changes required
> > restarting IE and then produced the warning that the security settings put
> > the system at risk and the page was blocked. Tried turning off the

> Internet
> > protection mode. More warning about risk to the computer and the page

> still
> > blocked. Search the web for information and found suggestions to turn of

> the
> > UAC. No effect.
> >
> > I am now down to the check of the installed Java version (Java says it out
> > of date but functional) but I don't have any confidence that this will

> affect
> > the security issue.
> >
> > Of course, this page runs without error on XP.
> >
> > Any ideas here?

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 Blocked java page
Hi,
Try right-clicking the IE icon and choosing "Run as administrator" on both
the HTM and HTA versions.

> [...]

> > > I found related to java, ActiveX, or scripting. These changes required
> > > restarting IE and then produced the warning that the security settings

put
> > > the system at risk and the page was blocked. Tried turning off the

> > Internet
> > > protection mode. More warning about risk to the computer and the page

> > still
> > > blocked. Search the web for information and found suggestions to turn

of
> > the
> > > UAC. No effect.
> > >
> > > I am now down to the check of the installed Java version (Java says it

out
> > > of date but functional) but I don't have any confidence that this will

> > affect
> > > the security issue.
> > >
> > > Of course, this page runs without error on XP.

Tim McCarthy

Re: IE7 Blocked java page
Good idea.

I had tried this before with the HTML page but this time with the HTA page
there is something new.
I have to run IE off the program menu to get "Run as Administrator"

The *.HTA page give a new error: "Your current security settings do not
allow this file to be downloaded."

Hmmmm. So now there is some sort of download going on that the security
settings don't like. So I'm suspicious that there are a one or more
interrelated security settings affecting this. I cannot run the HTA file
from the folder due to access security settings and if I load the file from
IE there is some sort of download going on that is restricted.

OK I go to the internet security settings in the restricted zone and I find
two settings under Downloads, "Automatic prompting for file downloads"and
"File download" both currently disabled. The other zones have the file
download enabled. Under the "Advanced" tab the only setting I see is the
"Check for signature for file downloads"

I'll have to try to play around with the settings to see if anything else
changes.

I've been going over how this system was setup to see if something was done
that may have gotten the security settings confused. The only thing I can
come up with is the transfer settings program used to transfer data from the
XP system to the Vista system. I'm wondering if that may have done something
because after I got the new error I checked the properties of the HTA file
and looked under the security tab. Now it probably doesn't mean anything but
the one user (me) on the system is listed as both the Administrator and a
User. But if I look at the user accounts there is only one user
(Administrator). Probably nothing.

- tim

> [...]

>> Engineer and I cannot imagine how anyone could think this program
>> behavior

> is
>> anything but deeply flawed.
>>

>> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > You're encountering the "local machine zone lockdown" feature.
>> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7150.aspx#EHAA
>> >
>> > Probably won't help, but can't hurt, to clear the Temporary Internet

> Files.
>> >
>> > Try giving the page/htm file the "mark of the web."
>> >

> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
>> >
>> > Or, rename the htm file to hta. HTA files aren't as restricted.
>> >
>> > Note: Javascript isn't the same as Java. Your Java version may be a

> security
>> > concern, you should be running the most recent version, but Java is

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 Blocked java page
Hi,
Sorry, I don't have any additional ideas except to keep checking permissions
on folders, the HTA file, HTML file and JAR files.

Don

"Tim McCarthy" <tfmccarthy@verizon.net> wrote in message
> [...]

is
> >> wrong and won't accept it. This file has a long file name. How is this

> > done?
> >>
> >> Changes to these security settings don't seem to be doing anything at
> >> all.
> >> After I make the change I close IE and then navigate to the page and

try
> >> again and get the same results. Do I have to shut down the machine in

> > order
> >> for these things to take effect?
> >>
> >> Again, I'm sorry if this comes across as petulant. I am trying very

hard
> > not
> >> to whine about this and trying to work to a solution. But I'm a

Software
> >> Engineer and I cannot imagine how anyone could think this program

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 Blocked java page
"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I cannot imagine how anyone could think this program behavior is anything
> but deeply flawed.

Security/obscurity--deeply flawed? <LOL>

However, I do have a few more questions/suggestions for you.

How did you get these "local files"? E.g. if they were downloaded
you would have to "Unblock" them. (Ref. KB883260)

Alternatively, to try to diagnose this I would try using ProcMon.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Tim McCarthy

Re: IE7 Blocked java page
I understand. It's very hard to fix a problem if you can't replicate it.
Your help is appreciated none the less.

It will take some digging to find what the problem is but when I do I will
reply.

- Tim

> Hi,
> Sorry, I don't have any additional ideas except to keep checking
> permissions
> on folders, the HTA file, HTML file and JAR files.
>
> Don

Tim McCarthy

Re: IE7 Blocked java page
First off
You...are...da...man!

Well, in my defense, I was annoyed at the time, still am but it doesn't help
anyone to rant and foam at the mouth.

Anywho...here's the (long-ish) scenario: The files are generated by the
program from the people at Impatica. Essentially they convert PowerPoint
presentations (slides + audio) into a archive that can be streamed over the
net to a browser. So you can make a lecture available to people without the
need for a special viewer; a browser should do. Hence the java + ActiveX to
do the work. (There's more to the product but this isn't an ad.)

Now, my friend is a teacher and he sells his courseware by placing these
files (*.html + *.jar) on CD and sending them to students who then do a web
conference for review, etc. The idea is they can listen/review the lectures
at will on their computers and then do the live conference.

Now, the files aren't signed but Impatica says they are Vista compatible.
They were sent to me via e-mail as they are pretty small (largest one is
3Mb) and I saved them directly to disk from Vista's Window's Mail.

And after reading the KB article I did the check of the properties and sure
enough, the files were marked as form a different computer! Unblock them and
bada-bing! They play like a champ!

Very interesting. I will have to scour this article very closely. Puts a new
spin on "sharing".

Thanks a bazillion. (what the heck, make it two bazillion!)

- Tim

> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>

>> I cannot imagine how anyone could think this program behavior is anything
>> but deeply flawed.

> Security/obscurity--deeply flawed? <LOL>
>
> However, I do have a few more questions/suggestions for you.
>
> How did you get these "local files"? E.g. if they were downloaded
> you would have to "Unblock" them. (Ref. KB883260)
>
> Alternatively, to try to diagnose this I would try using ProcMon.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Tim McCarthy

Re: IE7 Blocked java page
See Robert Aldwinckle's reply for the solution to this.

Thanks very much for your help with this.