Re: default browser script

Nadine

Re: default browser script

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> You're welcome!
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B3D9C8B-F402-4300-8B70-A9D1A9F99F44@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, That's what I'm looking for.
> Dean
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > You can run the following command to set Internet Explorer as the default, using a script. The script can query the version of Internet Explorer via the registry, or by getting the iexplore.exe file version manually, and then run the corresponding command to set IE as the default.
> >
> > For Internet Explorer 7
> >
> > "%windir%\system32\ie4uinit.exe" -reinstall
> >
> > For Internet Explorer 6 (XP SP1 and higher)
> >
> > shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E855F4D4-4FF8-4CFE-BE9A-EF2607AE4AB5@microsoft.com...
> > If this is not the correct forum, please forgive me.
> > I work for a college and we have some software loaded on the computers that
> > requires IE, but some of the software used for on line classes works better
> > with Firefox. We are trying to deploy firefox through Active Directory, and
> > have successfully done so. the problem is that the program defaults in
> > Windows remains (or is set to) "use current browser". When someone clicks an
> > icon to start a locally loaded software package, one that requires IE,
> > Firefox opens and the software fails. If I set Windows to use IE as the
> > default (instead of "use current") the icons launch the software in IE and
> > all is well. Is there a script I can run after the Firefox deployment to make
> > this change through Active Directory? I'm hoping to avoid having to lay hand
> > on almost 900 computers. Most are Win XP SP2 with a few Win 2K boxes, and
> > most have IE 7 installed.
> >
> > Dean
> >

> Could you please help me in a simple way how to make my IE 7 my default bowser? I am not that computer literet like the above. I am on my home computer and don't know hardley a thing about programs.

Don Varnau

Re: default browser script

"Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > You're welcome!

> > "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > Thanks, That's what I'm looking for.
> > Dean

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > You can run the following command to set Internet Explorer as the

default, using a script. The script can query the version of Internet
Explorer via the registry, or by getting the iexplore.exe file version
manually, and then run the corresponding command to set IE as the default.

> > > For Internet Explorer 7
> > >
> > > "%windir%\system32\ie4uinit.exe" -reinstall
> > >
> > > For Internet Explorer 6 (XP SP1 and higher)
> > >
> > > shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE
> > >

> > > "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > If this is not the correct forum, please forgive me.
> > > I work for a college and we have some software loaded on the computers

that
> > > requires IE, but some of the software used for on line classes works

better
> > > with Firefox. We are trying to deploy firefox through Active

Directory, and
> > > have successfully done so. the problem is that the program defaults in
> > > Windows remains (or is set to) "use current browser". When someone

clicks an
> > > icon to start a locally loaded software package, one that requires IE,
> > > Firefox opens and the software fails. If I set Windows to use IE as

the
> > > default (instead of "use current") the icons launch the software in IE

and
> > > all is well. Is there a script I can run after the Firefox deployment

to make
> > > this change through Active Directory? I'm hoping to avoid having to

lay hand
> > > on almost 900 computers. Most are Win XP SP2 with a few Win 2K boxes,

and
> > > most have IE 7 installed.
> > >
> > > Dean

> > Could you please help me in a simple way how to make my IE 7 my default

bowser? I am not that computer literet like the above. I am on my home
computer and don't know hardley a thing about programs.

Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Nadine

Re: default browser script

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > You're welcome!

> > > "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > Thanks, That's what I'm looking for.
> > > Dean

> default, using a script. The script can query the version of Internet
> Explorer via the registry, or by getting the iexplore.exe file version
> manually, and then run the corresponding command to set IE as the default.

> that

> better

> Directory, and

> clicks an

> the

> and

> to make

> lay hand

> and

> > > Could you please help me in a simple way how to make my IE 7 my default

> bowser? I am not that computer literet like the above. I am on my home
> computer and don't know hardley a thing about programs.
>
> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> Windows XP

>Nadine

Don Varnau

Re: default browser script
[snip]

default
> > bowser? I am not that computer literet like the above. I am on my home
> > computer and don't know hardley a thing about programs.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Windows XP or Vista?
> >
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows XP

> >Nadine

Hi,
From Start> Control Panel or Start> Settings> Control Panel> Add or remove
programs> Set program access and defaults> choose Microsoft Windows or
Custom. Click the down arrows on the right. Select IE as the default
browser.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]