Font size problem in Internet Explorer

Hans Näslund

Font size problem in Internet Explorer
I recently had to change the dpi setting of my laptop screen (1920x1200)
from 120 dpi to 96 dpi (due to a program that requires "normal" dpi
setting).

This meant that the font size of the system and all programs became very
small, and I had to increase the font sizes.

In IE, however, the normal way (View > Text size) only works as long as the
IE window is open; when I restart IE, the text size is back to Medium instad
of Larger, which is what I want. I have found a number of solutions on the
Internet, but they all seem to apply only to earlier versions of IE (I'm
using IE 7 on WinXP SP2).

I don't want to use the setting "Ignore font sizes specified in web pages"
(in Tools > Internet options > Accessibility) because that distorts the
appearance of the web pages completely.

In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\International\Scripts\3 I have two keys: IEFontSize and
IEFontSizePrivate, both with the value 02 00 00 00 (which is Medium). If I
change them manually to 03 00 00 (Larger), they change back to 02 00 00 each
time I restart IE.

I have got the advice that it may be my firewall and/or anti-malware
programs that block the change of the font size setting. I have ZoneAlarm,
Norton AntiVirus and Spyware Doctor. Disabling all of them did not help,
however - but when I log in as administrator (but not in safe mode), and it
turns out that the text size in IE is really changed to Larger for the
administrator account. NB: All my antivirus and anti-spyware programs are
active also for this account. But when I change back to my normal account,
the font size is locked to Medium. This seems to indicate that there is
something else that blocks the register change in IE.

Does anybody have a clue?

Richardk

RE: Font size problem in Internet Explorer
Hi Hans,
This sounds like your normal account is lacking in some permissions. Log
onto the laptop as the Administrator and go to the Computer Management
Console (Right click My computer and select manage). Have a look in the local
users and groups node. Under groups there should be a group called
Administrators. Make sure that your normal account is in that group. Log back
in as your normal account and try to reapply the setting.
Out of Curiosity is the Laptop part of a Domain or on a Workgroup?
--
Richard Kent,
Systems Administrator,

"Hans Näslund" wrote:

> I recently had to change the dpi setting of my laptop screen (1920x1200)
> from 120 dpi to 96 dpi (due to a program that requires "normal" dpi
> setting).
>
> This meant that the font size of the system and all programs became very
> small, and I had to increase the font sizes.
>
> In IE, however, the normal way (View > Text size) only works as long as the
> IE window is open; when I restart IE, the text size is back to Medium instad
> of Larger, which is what I want. I have found a number of solutions on the
> Internet, but they all seem to apply only to earlier versions of IE (I'm
> using IE 7 on WinXP SP2).
>
> I don't want to use the setting "Ignore font sizes specified in web pages"
> (in Tools > Internet options > Accessibility) because that distorts the
> appearance of the web pages completely.
>
> In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\International\Scripts\3 I have two keys: IEFontSize and
> IEFontSizePrivate, both with the value 02 00 00 00 (which is Medium). If I
> change them manually to 03 00 00 (Larger), they change back to 02 00 00 each
> time I restart IE.
>
> I have got the advice that it may be my firewall and/or anti-malware
> programs that block the change of the font size setting. I have ZoneAlarm,
> Norton AntiVirus and Spyware Doctor. Disabling all of them did not help,
> however - but when I log in as administrator (but not in safe mode), and it
> turns out that the text size in IE is really changed to Larger for the
> administrator account. NB: All my antivirus and anti-spyware programs are
> active also for this account. But when I change back to my normal account,
> the font size is locked to Medium. This seems to indicate that there is
> something else that blocks the register change in IE.
>
> Does anybody have a clue?

Alan Edwards

Re: Font size problem in Internet Explorer
Changing the Registry values will (may?) have no effect.
Read my standard post (though it is many years old and I realize it is
not for IE7 but please read it anyway)

If IE-View-Text Size does not stick....

---solution 1
If you are using Eudora 4.2 or greater then use Tools-Options-Viewing
Mail and uncheck "Use Microsoft's viewer"
It is Eudora that is setting the IE text size and unchecking that
option will stop it.

The key that Eudora 4.x will change is this:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\International\Scripts\3]
"IEFontSize"=hex:02,00,00,00

---solution 2
In Outlook 2000 or greater go to Tools/Options/Mail
Format/Fonts/International Fonts, and for each font
change the "Font Size" entry to your desired size.

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:18:58 +0200, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "Hans Näslund"
<hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote:

(snip)
>In IE, however, the normal way (View > Text size) only works as long as the
>IE window is open; when I restart IE, the text size is back to Medium instad
>of Larger, which is what I want. I have found a number of solutions on the
>Internet, but they all seem to apply only to earlier versions of IE (I'm
>using IE 7 on WinXP SP2).

(snip)
>In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
>Explorer\International\Scripts\3 I have two keys: IEFontSize and
>IEFontSizePrivate, both with the value 02 00 00 00 (which is Medium). If I
>change them manually to 03 00 00 (Larger), they change back to 02 00 00 each
>time I restart IE.

(snip)

>Does anybody have a clue?

Hans Näslund

Re: Font size problem in Internet Explorer
Thank you for your response!

I don't have Eudora installed, and I don't use Outlook as my email client
(I'm using Outlook Express), so these suggestions don't help me. (I have
done the changnes to the Outlook I have done what you suggested, but that
did not help at all.)

Any more suggestions?

Hans

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> skrev i meddelandet
> Changing the Registry values will (may?) have no effect.
> Read my standard post (though it is many years old and I realize it is
> not for IE7 but please read it anyway)
>
> If IE-View-Text Size does not stick....
>
> ---solution 1
> If you are using Eudora 4.2 or greater then use Tools-Options-Viewing
> Mail and uncheck "Use Microsoft's viewer"
> It is Eudora that is setting the IE text size and unchecking that
> option will stop it.
>
> The key that Eudora 4.x will change is this:
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\International\Scripts\3]
> "IEFontSize"=hex:02,00,00,00
>
> ---solution 2
> In Outlook 2000 or greater go to Tools/Options/Mail
> Format/Fonts/International Fonts, and for each font
> change the "Font Size" entry to your desired size.
>
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:18:58 +0200, in
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "Hans Näslund"
> <hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>>In IE, however, the normal way (View > Text size) only works as long as
>>the
>>IE window is open; when I restart IE, the text size is back to Medium
>>instad
>>of Larger, which is what I want. I have found a number of solutions on the
>>Internet, but they all seem to apply only to earlier versions of IE (I'm
>>using IE 7 on WinXP SP2).
>>

> (snip)
>>In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
>>Explorer\International\Scripts\3 I have two keys: IEFontSize and
>>IEFontSizePrivate, both with the value 02 00 00 00 (which is Medium). If I
>>change them manually to 03 00 00 (Larger), they change back to 02 00 00
>>each
>>time I restart IE.
>>

> (snip)
>
>>Does anybody have a clue?

Hans Näslund

Re: Font size problem in Internet Explorer
Thank you!

I will try this as soon as possible!

(BTW: My laptop is not part of any domain or workgroup; I'm using it at home
for my work as a freelance translator.)

Hans

"Richardk" <Richardk@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi Hans,
> This sounds like your normal account is lacking in some permissions. Log
> onto the laptop as the Administrator and go to the Computer Management
> Console (Right click My computer and select manage). Have a look in the
> local
> users and groups node. Under groups there should be a group called
> Administrators. Make sure that your normal account is in that group. Log
> back
> in as your normal account and try to reapply the setting.
> Out of Curiosity is the Laptop part of a Domain or on a Workgroup?
> --
> Richard Kent,
> Systems Administrator,
> SDT Ltd,
> www.sdt.co.uk
>

> "Hans Näslund" wrote:
>
>> I recently had to change the dpi setting of my laptop screen (1920x1200)
>> from 120 dpi to 96 dpi (due to a program that requires "normal" dpi
>> setting).
>>
>> This meant that the font size of the system and all programs became very
>> small, and I had to increase the font sizes.
>>
>> In IE, however, the normal way (View > Text size) only works as long as
>> the
>> IE window is open; when I restart IE, the text size is back to Medium
>> instad
>> of Larger, which is what I want. I have found a number of solutions on
>> the
>> Internet, but they all seem to apply only to earlier versions of IE (I'm
>> using IE 7 on WinXP SP2).
>>
>> I don't want to use the setting "Ignore font sizes specified in web
>> pages"
>> (in Tools > Internet options > Accessibility) because that distorts the
>> appearance of the web pages completely.
>>
>> In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
>> Explorer\International\Scripts\3 I have two keys: IEFontSize and
>> IEFontSizePrivate, both with the value 02 00 00 00 (which is Medium). If
>> change them manually to 03 00 00 (Larger), they change back to 02 00 00
>> each
>> time I restart IE.
>>
>> I have got the advice that it may be my firewall and/or anti-malware
>> programs that block the change of the font size setting. I have
>> ZoneAlarm,
>> Norton AntiVirus and Spyware Doctor. Disabling all of them did not help,
>> however - but when I log in as administrator (but not in safe mode), and
>> it
>> turns out that the text size in IE is really changed to Larger for the
>> administrator account. NB: All my antivirus and anti-spyware programs are
>> active also for this account. But when I change back to my normal
>> account,
>> the font size is locked to Medium. This seems to indicate that there is
>> something else that blocks the register change in IE.
>>
>> Does anybody have a clue?

Hans Näslund

Re: Font size problem in Internet Explorer
Hi again,

I have done as you suggested, and my normal account has been in the
Administrators group the whole time.

After logging back to the normal account I again changed the text size in IE
but the change still does not persist.

(I should add that for the Administrator account the text size in IE is
really changed to Larger. NB: All my antivirus and anti-spyware programs are