Re: Outlook Express and Live Mail

Arthur

Re: Outlook Express and Live Mail
I have the opposite problem. Somewhere, somehow Windows Live Mail got
installed on my XP SR2 system. It must have happened during one of many auto
updates. I cannot now re-establish Outlook Express on my computer as the
default mail handler and that is what I want do. How do I get rid of Windows
Live Mail and get Outlook Express back to being my default?

BTW, I thought Windows Live Mail was a Vista program, why is it on my XP
system?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You can disable Outlook Express (OE) via Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove
> Windows Components.
> --
> OE-specific newsgroup:
> WL Mail-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Julian wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I have installed, as suggested, Live Mail to be able to sychronise hotmail
> > and other email accounts. Now I have both Outlook Express and Live mail
> > in
> > parallel. I also have two MSN's running. Is there a way to remove
> > Outlook
> > Express and what do I need to do to get only one MSN running.

Re: Outlook Express and Live Mail
> I have the opposite problem.

Then you should have begun a new thread about your problem, preferably in
the Windows Live Mail-specific newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

> Somewhere, somehow Windows Live Mail got
> installed on my XP SR2 system.

If you installed one or more other Windows Live apps (e.g., Windows Live
Messenger or Toolbar) and weren't paying close attention when you did so,
you could have Windows Live Mail installed now, yes.

> How do I get rid of
> Windows Live Mail and get Outlook Express back to being my default?

1. Uninstall Windows Live Mail via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

2a. Make sure the OE is set as your default for E-mail in Set Program Access
and Defaults.

2b. Make sure OE is the default in IE Tools | Internet Options | Programs |
E-mail now, too.

> BTW, I thought Windows Live Mail was a Vista program, why is it on my XP
> system?

The default Mail Client in Vista is Windows Mail. Hotmail is now called
Windows Live Hotmail but during the beta it was called Windows Live Mail,
and what's now known as Windows Live Mail was called Windows Live Mail
Desktop during the beta. Yes, it's all very confusing. What were they
thinking (if, in fact, they think at all)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Arthur wrote:
> I have the opposite problem. Somewhere, somehow Windows Live Mail got
> installed on my XP SR2 system. It must have happened during one of many
> auto updates. I cannot now re-establish Outlook Express on my computer as
> the default mail handler and that is what I want do. How do I get rid of
> Windows Live Mail and get Outlook Express back to being my default?
>
> BTW, I thought Windows Live Mail was a Vista program, why is it on my XP
> system?

<snip>

Gordon

"Arthur" <Arthur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the opposite problem. Somewhere, somehow Windows Live Mail got
> installed on my XP SR2 system. It must have happened during one of many
> auto
> updates. I cannot now re-establish Outlook Express on my computer as the
> default mail handler and that is what I want do. How do I get rid of
> Windows
> Live Mail and get Outlook Express back to being my default?

Uninstall it in Control Panel? Possibly? You DID look there first, right?

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Outlook Express and Live Mail
"Arthur" <Arthur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the opposite problem. Somewhere, somehow Windows Live Mail got
> installed on my XP SR2 system. It must have happened during one of many
> auto
> updates. I cannot now re-establish Outlook Express on my computer as the
> default mail handler and that is what I want do. How do I get rid of
> Windows
> Live Mail and get Outlook Express back to being my default?
>
> BTW, I thought Windows Live Mail was a Vista program, why is it on my XP
> system?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You can disable Outlook Express (OE) via Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove
>> Windows Components.
>> --
>> OE-specific newsgroup:
>> WL Mail-specific newsgroup:
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Julian wrote:
>> > Greetings,
>> > I have installed, as suggested, Live Mail to be able to sychronise
>> > hotmail
>> > and other email accounts. Now I have both Outlook Express and Live
>> > mail
>> > in
>> > parallel. I also have two MSN's running. Is there a way to remove
>> > Outlook
>> > Express and what do I need to do to get only one MSN running.

Start | Control Panel | Set Program Access and defaults.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email