http:///?%20 The address is not valid

Mr TJA

http:///?%20 The address is not valid
My problem is that I cannot do address bar searches anymore after deleting
keys in the registry that had any mention of "CyberDefender" CyberDefender is
the worst antispyware program out there today because it is malware. It took
over my address bar searches and I could not find a better way to remove it
than to delete registry entries. Now I cannot search from address bar without
receiving the message http:///?%20what%20i%20was%20search%20for
The address is not valid.

I tried system restore and have a point every day this week. But none found
changes so nothing was backed up. Dont lecture me on registry backups. I
failed at listening.
Leonard Grey

Re: http:///?%20 The address is not valid
You could live without Address bar searches or you could re-install Windows.

Gutting the registry is not the way to remove malware. It may still be
installed.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Mr TJA wrote:
> My problem is that I cannot do address bar searches anymore after deleting
> keys in the registry that had any mention of "CyberDefender" CyberDefender is
> the worst antispyware program out there today because it is malware. It took
> over my address bar searches and I could not find a better way to remove it
> than to delete registry entries. Now I cannot search from address bar without
> receiving the message http:///?%20what%20i%20was%20search%20for
> The address is not valid.
>
> I tried system restore and have a point every day this week. But none found
> changes so nothing was backed up. Dont lecture me on registry backups. I
> failed at listening.

Jack

Re: http:///?%20 The address is not valid
Just a suggestion..

Look in your HOST file and see if has listed various search engines. That is
a method some of the malware programmers use to play games with your
computer.

This happened to my Son's computer and it took a while to find out the
cause. In his case, we opened the HOST file and sure enough, almost
every search engines URL was listed., This meant every time he wanted
to do a search his computer would not let him.

Host file is located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc You can open
the host file using Notepad This may or may not be the cause but worht
looking at the possibility.

To better understand the host file, go to
www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm

Also www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Jack

"Leonard Grey" <l.grey@not.valid.net> wrote in message
> You could live without Address bar searches or you could re-install
> Windows.
>
> Gutting the registry is not the way to remove malware. It may still be
> installed.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Mr TJA wrote:
>> My problem is that I cannot do address bar searches anymore after
>> deleting keys in the registry that had any mention of "CyberDefender"
>> CyberDefender is the worst antispyware program out there today because it
>> is malware. It took over my address bar searches and I could not find a
>> better way to remove it than to delete registry entries. Now I cannot
>> search from address bar without receiving the message
>> http:///?%20what%20i%20was%20search%20for
>> The address is not valid.
>>
>> I tried system restore and have a point every day this week. But none
>> found changes so nothing was backed up. Dont lecture me on registry
>> backups. I failed at listening.

Re: http:///?%20 The address is not valid
> It took over my address bar searches and I could not find a better way to
> remove it than to delete registry entries...
> Dont lecture me on registry backups. I
> failed at listening.

"As ye sow, so shall ye reap."

You've got more work to do (if you don't wanna "wipe & reload").

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Mr TJA wrote:
> My problem is that I cannot do address bar searches anymore after deleting
> keys in the registry that had any mention of "CyberDefender" CyberDefender
> is the worst antispyware program out there today because it is malware. It
> took over my address bar searches and I could not find a better way to
> remove it than to delete registry entries. Now I cannot search from
> address
> bar without receiving the message
> http:///?%20what%20i%20was%20search%20for
> The address is not valid.
>
> I tried system restore and have a point every day this week. But none
> found
> changes so nothing was backed up. Dont lecture me on registry backups. I
> failed at listening.

Mr TJA

Re: http:///?%20 The address is not valid
This is Windows Vista HOme premium by the way
I will do your suggestions. But the malware is not the problem now.
Further problems now are Windows Defender tells me that I don't have any
malware protection, but Norton Int Sec 2008 is running. (nis2008)

Also when I rebooted pop ups from the systray from Norton came up and said I
did not have spyware running, yet inside the program all systems are secure.

I might try to uninstall NIS and reinstall it

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > It took over my address bar searches and I could not find a better way to
> > remove it than to delete registry entries...
> > Dont lecture me on registry backups. I
> > failed at listening.

> "As ye sow, so shall ye reap."
>
> You've got more work to do (if you don't wanna "wipe & reload").

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Mr TJA wrote:
> > My problem is that I cannot do address bar searches anymore after deleting
> > keys in the registry that had any mention of "CyberDefender" CyberDefender
> > is the worst antispyware program out there today because it is malware. It
> > took over my address bar searches and I could not find a better way to
> > remove it than to delete registry entries. Now I cannot search from
> > address
> > bar without receiving the message
> > http:///?%20what%20i%20was%20search%20for
> > The address is not valid.
> >
> > I tried system restore and have a point every day this week. But none
> > found
> > changes so nothing was backed up. Dont lecture me on registry backups. I
> > failed at listening.

Re: http:///?%20 The address is not valid
d00d, you're machine's still infected/compromised!
Uninstalling/reinstalling NIS ain't gonna help (even if you could do it, let
alone completely uninstall it...which takes more than just using Add/Remove
Programs).

If you don't wanna post in a forum, only a format & reinstall will resolve
the problem. A Repair install will NOT help!
--
~PA Bear

Mr TJA wrote:
> [...]

>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Mr TJA wrote:
>>> My problem is that I cannot do address bar searches anymore after
>>> deleting
>>> keys in the registry that had any mention of "CyberDefender"
>>> CyberDefender
>>> is the worst antispyware program out there today because it is malware.
>>> It
>>> took over my address bar searches and I could not find a better way to
>>> remove it than to delete registry entries. Now I cannot search from
>>> address
>>> bar without receiving the message
>>> http:///?%20what%20i%20was%20search%20for
>>> The address is not valid.
>>>
>>> I tried system restore and have a point every day this week. But none
>>> found
>>> changes so nothing was backed up. Dont lecture me on registry backups. I

Mr TJA

Re: http:///?%20 The address is not valid
I may not have malware. Cyber defender has a feature that it controls your
searches to protect you . I labled it spyware, but they think its the neatest
thing ever. I wanted it removed. So while my registry dimwittedness led me
astray, no malware has been found.

See their testimony here:
CyberDefender's MyIdentityDefender identifies and ranks websites returned by
every major search engine including Google, Yahoo, MSN, and Ask.
MyIdentityDefender does not change your search engine (unless you select to
use our search engine) - but simply allows you to use a popular search engine
and get immediate security and user ratings - BEFORE - you actually visit the
site.

Think of this as an early warning feature which ultimately saves you time
from going to a site which is either unsafe or rated low by other
CyberDefender MyIdentityDefender users. Search results are accompanied by a
five-star rating system and a MyIdentityDefender icon that provides access to
more detailed information such as the safety rating, user rating,and
important site information such as the year it started, where it is located,
and how popular the site is.

Mr TJA

Re: http:///?%20 The address is not valid
I appreciate your help. NOW looking back there was a winrar.exe that I
downloaded and quickly deleted. So you are correct.
I will save my personal files to CD and use the Dell restore cd that came
with my computer.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> d00d, you're machine's still infected/compromised!
> Uninstalling/reinstalling NIS ain't gonna help (even if you could do it, let
> alone completely uninstall it...which takes more than just using Add/Remove
> Programs).
>
> If you don't wanna post in a forum, only a format & reinstall will resolve
> the problem. A Repair install will NOT help!
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Mr TJA wrote:
> > This is Windows Vista HOme premium by the way
> > I will do your suggestions. But the malware is not the problem now.
> > Further problems now are Windows Defender tells me that I don't have any
> > malware protection, but Norton Int Sec 2008 is running. (nis2008)
> >
> > Also when I rebooted pop ups from the systray from Norton came up and said
> > did not have spyware running, yet inside the program all systems are
> > secure.
> >
> > I might try to uninstall NIS and reinstall it

> >> "As ye sow, so shall ye reap."
> >>
> >> You've got more work to do (if you don't wanna "wipe & reload").
> >>
> >> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
> >>
> >> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> >> log to an appropriate forum.
> >>
> >> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> >> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> >> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> >> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> >> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
> >> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
> >> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
> >> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> >> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
> >> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> >> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for
> >> review
> >> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
> >>
> >> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
> >> shop.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: http:///?%20 The address is not valid
CyberDefender *is* malware IMHO.

See all 3 pages of the User Reviews here:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/cyberdefender.com

Stay away from it!