Help

Robert Tedstone

Help
Ever since downloading IE7 I have been having problems opening links to
websites even from mail in outlook express. At least 60% of links will fail
to open and the screen will freeze until I shut it down and start again.
I would appreciate any help or tips to overcome this problem.

Many thanks

Bob

Rafael [Live Butterfly]

Re: Help
Hello Robert,

Close all instances of Internet Explorer, click Start -> Run, and type
the following and click OK:

iexplore.exe -extoff

This will disable add-ons. Try your sites again. If the problems clear
up, one of the add-ons installed may be causing issues with your
browsing experience.

- Rafael

Robert Tedstone wrote:
> Ever since downloading IE7 I have been having problems opening links to
> websites even from mail in outlook express. At least 60% of links will fail
> to open and the screen will freeze until I shut it down and start again.
> I would appreciate any help or tips to overcome this problem.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Bob

Leonard Grey

Re: Help
Before installing IE 7 you need to carefully follow the procedures
described here (which, for the most part, should be followed whenever
you install or upgrade software):

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.

If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
incomplete installation. Suggestion: Uninstall IE 7 (which returns you
to IE 6) by following these directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7.
Download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and install from
your hard disk:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

Tip: Next time use a more detailed Subject line.

Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Robert Tedstone wrote:
> Ever since downloading IE7 I have been having problems opening links to
> websites even from mail in outlook express. At least 60% of links will fail
> to open and the screen will freeze until I shut it down and start again.
> I would appreciate any help or tips to overcome this problem.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Bob

Re: Help
You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
IE7's additional security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Robert Tedstone wrote:
> Ever since downloading IE7 I have been having problems opening links to
> websites even from mail in outlook express. At least 60% of links will
> fail
> to open and the screen will freeze until I shut it down and start again.
> I would appreciate any help or tips to overcome this problem.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Bob

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Help
"Robert Tedstone" <tedstone@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Ever since downloading IE7 I have been having problems opening links to
> websites even from mail in outlook express. At least 60% of links will
> fail to open and the screen will freeze until I shut it down and start
> again.
> I would appreciate any help or tips to overcome this problem.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Bob

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Robert Tedstone

Re: Help

"Robert Tedstone" <tedstone@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Ever since downloading IE7 I have been having problems opening links to
> websites even from mail in outlook express. At least 60% of links will
> fail to open and the screen will freeze until I shut it down and start
> again.
> I would appreciate any help or tips to overcome this problem.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Bob
>Thanks for the help guys, it seems that I have fixed the problem.

Many thanks
Bob