Re: IE will not open with Desktop Icon, but will when URL in my co

Re: IE will not open with Desktop Icon, but will when URL in my co
[Crossposted to IE General]

Repost:
> Control Panel | Display | Desktop | Customize desktop | Desktop icons: Is
> IE
> checked here?

If not, delete all other desktop shortcuts, enabled this option, and test.

If so, is this desktop icon the one you're using?

Repost:

--
~PA Bear

Harold K wrote:
> Yes another browser is installed. I had to leave BP (Business Partner)
> with
> a workaround until I correct his IE Issue so I installed Fire Fox until I
> have a solution. Yes before I installed fire fox, IE was defualt / I did
> reset of the browser / Created new icon / found target and tried to open
> from original folder instead of Short Cut. Is there anything I need to
> check in the registry?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Is another browser installed? Is IE configured as the default Browser in
>> Set Program Access and Defaults?
>>
>> Control Panel | Display | Desktop | Customize desktop | Desktop icons: Is
>> IE checked here?
>>
>>> user of this desktop is demanding a fix

>> Has this user experienced other oddities in the past ? ...that required
>> re-Image? If you're in charge of +5K seats, how is it that this user has
>> the clout to "demand" a fix?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Harold K wrote:
>>> Thank you for responding, IE ver 6 (the medical facility here does not
>>> use
>>> 7
>>> as of yet becuse of some of the apps that are used here. Other than
>>> that
>>> all patches are installed. A/V is McAfee Enterprise 8.5 and up-to-date.
>>> Cisco F/W's in place with over 5k desktops and laptops from ATL to CA
>>> (Kaiser Permanente). usually we just re-image and keep truck'n but this
>>> user of this desktop is demanding a fix ... so I got to fix it.
>>>
>>> I have created a new Icon as kelly suggested and get the same response.
>>> D_Clik it and it just sits. but from any open window, I can just type
>>> where
>>> I want to go, or clik a faverite and will put the page.

Harold K

Re: IE will not open with Desktop Icon, but will when URL in my co
ok ... this is what I have done, I created a .bat file with the following
information, it re-registered .dll's and it corrected the problem. now it
works like a charm.
the info below was copied and saved as a .bat on the desktop and executed,
it re-registered all dll's below and IE works now. I did have two errors
(oleaut32.dll) why-i don't know but it continued until completion.

@echo off

c:\winnt\system32\regsvr32 urlmon.dll
c:\winnt\system32\regsvr32 mshtml.dll
c:\winnt\system32\regsvr32 actxprxy.dll