Annoying IE Problem

Kryten

Annoying IE Problem
Hi,

I am the admin for a web application that runs on an intranet with
maybe 1000 users or more.
The web required some activex controls, which are distributed by the
desktop admins via a separate .msi installer to ensure all the right
controls are there.

For 99% of users this works just great, however I have a bit of a
problem with a couple of users thats beginning to drive me crazy!

The problem only happens when they log into the web application and
navigate to a certain page/screen that used Treecontrols and popup
menus's etc. It's an activex hungry page.

The IE session simply goes to 100% and stays there.

Now that user can log out of that desktop and I can log in using my
desktop profile and everything works perfectly. So it's like it's
profile related, but the desktop guys insist it's nothing to do with
the profiles.

Similarly on my desktop I have no problem, but if one of the users
with the problem logs into my machine the problem happens. So they log
off, then I log in and it's fine again.

Doesn't this sound like IE is wanting to either d/l or initialise an
ActiveX, but something on the profile is stopping it? Does anyone have
any idea how I can prove this fault is not with the web but instead
with the profile of the users affected? Is there any way to view/log
that IE is "trying to do xxxxx" but being blocked by xxxx for
example?

Would appreciate any pointers. Thanks muchly!

Cheers,
Stuart

Re: Annoying IE Problem
Windows version(s)? IE version(s)?

Kryten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am the admin for a web application that runs on an intranet with
> maybe 1000 users or more.
> The web required some activex controls, which are distributed by the
> desktop admins via a separate .msi installer to ensure all the right
> controls are there.
>
> For 99% of users this works just great, however I have a bit of a
> problem with a couple of users thats beginning to drive me crazy!
>
> The problem only happens when they log into the web application and
> navigate to a certain page/screen that used Treecontrols and popup
> menus's etc. It's an activex hungry page.
>
> The IE session simply goes to 100% and stays there.
>
> Now that user can log out of that desktop and I can log in using my
> desktop profile and everything works perfectly. So it's like it's
> profile related, but the desktop guys insist it's nothing to do with
> the profiles.
>
> Similarly on my desktop I have no problem, but if one of the users
> with the problem logs into my machine the problem happens. So they log
> off, then I log in and it's fine again.
>
> Doesn't this sound like IE is wanting to either d/l or initialise an
> ActiveX, but something on the profile is stopping it? Does anyone have
> any idea how I can prove this fault is not with the web but instead
> with the profile of the users affected? Is there any way to view/log
> that IE is "trying to do xxxxx" but being blocked by xxxx for
> example?
>
> Would appreciate any pointers. Thanks muchly!
>
> Cheers,
> Stuart

Kryten

Re: Annoying IE Problem
Oh yeah <turns red!>

Web app runs in IIS6
Desktops are all XP corp SP2 with IE7.

Sorry bout that.

Stuart

Re: Annoying IE Problem
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

Thanks for the additional info, especially the fact that the web app runs in
IIS6.

See if this KB article helps at all (ignore the title and Symptoms section
*except* for the "if the following are true" section):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954249
--
~PA Bear

Kryten wrote:
> Oh yeah <turns red!>
>
> Web app runs in IIS6
> Desktops are all XP corp SP2 with IE7.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Windows version(s)? IE version(s)?
>
> Kryten wrote:
>> I am the admin for a web application that runs on an intranet with
>> maybe 1000 users or more.
>> The web required some activex controls, which are distributed by the
>> desktop admins via a separate .msi installer to ensure all the right
>> controls are there.
>>
>> For 99% of users this works just great, however I have a bit of a
>> problem with a couple of users thats beginning to drive me crazy!
>>
>> The problem only happens when they log into the web application and
>> navigate to a certain page/screen that used Treecontrols and popup
>> menus's etc. It's an activex hungry page.
>>
>> The IE session simply goes to 100% and stays there.
>>
>> Now that user can log out of that desktop and I can log in using my
>> desktop profile and everything works perfectly. So it's like it's
>> profile related, but the desktop guys insist it's nothing to do with
>> the profiles.
>>
>> Similarly on my desktop I have no problem, but if one of the users
>> with the problem logs into my machine the problem happens. So they log
>> off, then I log in and it's fine again.
>>
>> Doesn't this sound like IE is wanting to either d/l or initialise an
>> ActiveX, but something on the profile is stopping it? Does anyone have
>> any idea how I can prove this fault is not with the web but instead
>> with the profile of the users affected? Is there any way to view/log
>> that IE is "trying to do xxxxx" but being blocked by xxxx for
>> example?

Kryten

Re: Annoying IE Problem
On 24 Jul, 21:09, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. *Thank you.]
>
> Thanks for the additional info, especially the fact that the web app runsin
> IIS6.
>
> See if this KB article helps at all (ignore the title and Symptoms section
> *except* for the "if the following are true" section):http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954249
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Kryten wrote:
> > Oh yeah <turns red!>

> > Web app runs in IIS6
> > Desktops are all XP corp SP2 with IE7.

> <paste>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>

> > Windows version(s)? *IE version(s)?

> > Kryten wrote:
> >> I am the admin for a web application that runs on an intranet with
> >> maybe 1000 users or more.
> >> The web required some activex controls, which are distributed by the
> >> desktop admins via a separate .msi installer to ensure all the right
> >> controls are there.

> >> For 99% of users this works just great, however I have a bit of a
> >> problem with a couple of users thats beginning to drive me crazy!

> >> The problem only happens when they log into the web application and
> >> navigate to a certain page/screen that used Treecontrols and popup
> >> menus's etc. It's an activex hungry page.

> >> The IE session simply goes to 100% and stays there.

> >> Now that user can log out of that desktop and I can log in using my
> >> desktop profile and everything works perfectly. So it's like it's
> >> profile related, but the desktop guys insist it's nothing to do with
> >> the profiles.

> >> Similarly on my desktop I have no problem, but if one of the users
> >> with the problem logs into my machine the problem happens. So they log
> >> off, then I log in and it's fine again.

> >> Doesn't this sound like IE is wanting to either d/l or initialise an
> >> ActiveX, but something on the profile is stopping it? Does anyone have
> >> any idea how I can prove this fault is not with the web but instead
> >> with the profile of the users affected? Is there any way to view/log
> >> that IE is "trying *to do xxxxx" but being blocked by xxxx for
> >> example?- Hide quoted text -

I tried this but unfortunately it's not helped.
I tried Method 1 (changing the registry value).

The desktop still goes to 100% cpu and the activex fails to start with
certain users logged in.
When other users are logged into the same desktop it works fine.

Would be grateful for any other suggestions, thanks.

Stuart

Re: Annoying IE Problem
Please top-post your replies, Stuart. Thanks.

1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons; or

Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist? If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs!]

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Required reading IMHO before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IMPORTANT! => IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
~PA Bear