Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

File to Open in Default Application

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-23-2008
Steve S
 

Posts: n/a
File to Open in Default Application
When I attempt to open a file from Share Point, instead of opening the file
with the proper application (Excel, Word, etc) it gives me the Download File
box and the choice to Open, Save or Cancel. If I Open the file it opens in
IE7 browser. I don't have the full edit functionality from there. I can
Save the document and open with the application and then edit, but I want the
file to open with the default application. I know I could do this with IE6
(and I thought that I could do it in IE7). What configuration setting am I
missing?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2008
Don Varnau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: File to Open in Default Application
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?

This article should be applicable to both:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...lications.html

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Steve S" <Steve S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3D93BC5F-43BC-4681-AD84-86077B462B22@microsoft.com...
> When I attempt to open a file from Share Point, instead of opening the

file
> with the proper application (Excel, Word, etc) it gives me the Download

File
> box and the choice to Open, Save or Cancel. If I Open the file it opens

in
> IE7 browser. I don't have the full edit functionality from there. I can
> Save the document and open with the application and then edit, but I want

the
> file to open with the default application. I know I could do this with

IE6
> (and I thought that I could do it in IE7). What configuration setting am

I
> missing?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2008
Steve S
 

Posts: n/a
Re: File to Open in Default Application
It is XP and the article was extremely useful - problem fixed. Thanks!

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
>
> This article should be applicable to both:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...lications.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Steve S" <Steve S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3D93BC5F-43BC-4681-AD84-86077B462B22@microsoft.com...
> > When I attempt to open a file from Share Point, instead of opening the

> file
> > with the proper application (Excel, Word, etc) it gives me the Download

> File
> > box and the choice to Open, Save or Cancel. If I Open the file it opens

> in
> > IE7 browser. I don't have the full edit functionality from there. I can
> > Save the document and open with the application and then edit, but I want

> the
> > file to open with the default application. I know I could do this with

> IE6
> > (and I thought that I could do it in IE7). What configuration setting am

> I
> > missing?

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2008
Don Varnau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: File to Open in Default Application
Great! Thanks for the update.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Steve S" <SteveS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:685C6E38-2D76-4311-8500-F668F0C43FB8@microsoft.com...
> It is XP and the article was extremely useful - problem fixed. Thanks!


> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Windows XP or Vista?
> >
> > This article should be applicable to both:
> >

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...lications.html
> >


> > "Steve S" <Steve S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:3D93BC5F-43BC-4681-AD84-86077B462B22@microsoft.com...
> > > When I attempt to open a file from Share Point, instead of opening the

> > file
> > > with the proper application (Excel, Word, etc) it gives me the

Download
> > File
> > > box and the choice to Open, Save or Cancel. If I Open the file it

opens
> > in
> > > IE7 browser. I don't have the full edit functionality from there. I

can
> > > Save the document and open with the application and then edit, but I

want
> > the
> > > file to open with the default application. I know I could do this

with
> > IE6
> > > (and I thought that I could do it in IE7). What configuration setting

am
> > > I missing?


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
File Open dialog box default size Alan Roy microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 3 09-15-2009 06:07
Send to function wont open WinMail and attach pdf from adobe application. I know this can be accomplished by right clicking on the pdf file but I need the application to do the task. Any suggestions? DonE microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 2 07-08-2008 02:39
setting open file diagloue default options Sheila Hoffman microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 12-08-2007 02:07
Cannot Set Default Application for .FLA file. I have Adobe Flash C Legend One microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 2 08-31-2007 22:20
prevhost.exe - Fatal Application Exit - Could not open a file mapp =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 04-02-2007 18:24




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:46.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120