IE7 won't access some websites

Gadget

IE7 won't access some websites
IE7 V7.0.5730.13
Win XP Pro 2002 SP3

I am having trouble accessing SOME websites on my laptop, regardless of
which ISP or ADSL connection I use.

My laptop cannot access a suppliers website either at home or using the
wireless LAN at work, but my desk PC at home and my desk PC at work both can
access the site.
Same thing when it comes to Google. I can get to the home page but cannot
get to the search results page.

The bar at the bottom of the screen shows "Waiting for........." and the
progress bar gets to 5 green blocks (about 1/2 way) but nothing changes in
the main window. It just sits there waiting. I can cancel navigation or press
stop and navigate to somewhere else (e.g. one I know I can get to!) without
issue, so I know IE7 is still running.

I've tried disabling all the add-ons, running spyware/addware/virus scans,
reinstalling IE7 having downloaded it on another pc and installing from USB
memory stick, all to no avail.

I've tried running system restore to about a month ago when everything was
fine, but it says there were no changes made.

Can anyone suggest what I may have missed or what I can try to get around
this?
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 won't access some websites
Your security software may be blocking access to those websites. Here
are two typical ways (among many other possibilities) this might happen:
You've unwittingly blocked access to the URLs in question, or your ad
blocker thinks they are advertisements.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Gadget wrote:
> IE7 V7.0.5730.13
> Win XP Pro 2002 SP3
>
> I am having trouble accessing SOME websites on my laptop, regardless of
> which ISP or ADSL connection I use.
>
> My laptop cannot access a suppliers website either at home or using the
> wireless LAN at work, but my desk PC at home and my desk PC at work both can
> access the site.
> Same thing when it comes to Google. I can get to the home page but cannot
> get to the search results page.
>
> The bar at the bottom of the screen shows "Waiting for........." and the
> progress bar gets to 5 green blocks (about 1/2 way) but nothing changes in
> the main window. It just sits there waiting. I can cancel navigation or press
> stop and navigate to somewhere else (e.g. one I know I can get to!) without
> issue, so I know IE7 is still running.
>
> I've tried disabling all the add-ons, running spyware/addware/virus scans,
> reinstalling IE7 having downloaded it on another pc and installing from USB
> memory stick, all to no avail.
>
> I've tried running system restore to about a month ago when everything was
> fine, but it says there were no changes made.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I may have missed or what I can try to get around
> this?

Re: IE7 won't access some websites
(if any)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Gadget wrote:
> IE7 V7.0.5730.13
> Win XP Pro 2002 SP3
>
> I am having trouble accessing SOME websites on my laptop, regardless of
> which ISP or ADSL connection I use.
>
> My laptop cannot access a suppliers website either at home or using the
> wireless LAN at work, but my desk PC at home and my desk PC at work both
> can
> access the site.
> Same thing when it comes to Google. I can get to the home page but cannot
> get to the search results page.
>
> The bar at the bottom of the screen shows "Waiting for........." and the
> progress bar gets to 5 green blocks (about 1/2 way) but nothing changes in
> the main window. It just sits there waiting. I can cancel navigation or
> press stop and navigate to somewhere else (e.g. one I know I can get to!)
> without issue, so I know IE7 is still running.
>
> I've tried disabling all the add-ons, running spyware/addware/virus scans,
> reinstalling IE7 having downloaded it on another pc and installing from
> USB
> memory stick, all to no avail.
>
> I've tried running system restore to about a month ago when everything was
> fine, but it says there were no changes made.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I may have missed or what I can try to get around
> this?

Gadget

Re: IE7 won't access some websites
Hi, thanks for your posts guys.

AV software is Norton Internet Security 2008 which was turned off during the
tests
Firewall is as above, and turned off during the tests.
Anti-spyware is PC Tools Spyware Doctor V5.5.1.322, and turned off during
tests.

All software is up to date.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Gadget wrote:
> > IE7 V7.0.5730.13
> > Win XP Pro 2002 SP3
> >
> > I am having trouble accessing SOME websites on my laptop, regardless of
> > which ISP or ADSL connection I use.
> >
> > My laptop cannot access a suppliers website either at home or using the
> > wireless LAN at work, but my desk PC at home and my desk PC at work both
> > can
> > access the site.
> > Same thing when it comes to Google. I can get to the home page but cannot
> > get to the search results page.
> >
> > The bar at the bottom of the screen shows "Waiting for........." and the
> > progress bar gets to 5 green blocks (about 1/2 way) but nothing changes in
> > the main window. It just sits there waiting. I can cancel navigation or
> > press stop and navigate to somewhere else (e.g. one I know I can get to!)
> > without issue, so I know IE7 is still running.
> >
> > I've tried disabling all the add-ons, running spyware/addware/virus scans,
> > reinstalling IE7 having downloaded it on another pc and installing from
> > USB
> > memory stick, all to no avail.
> >
> > I've tried running system restore to about a month ago when everything was
> > fine, but it says there were no changes made.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest what I may have missed or what I can try to get around
> > this?

Re: IE7 won't access some websites
So many possibilities here!

>>> My laptop cannot access a suppliers website either at home or using the
>>> wireless LAN at work...
>>> Same thing when it comes to Google. I can get to the home page but
>>> cannot
>>> get to the search results page.

If you connect the laptop at home and/or at work directly to the router,
does the behavior persist?

Is the Windows Firewall also enabled? (It shouldn't be.)

Did you upgrade to NIS 2008 from an earlier version of a Norton application
(e.g., NIS 2006 or NAV 2005)?

Assuming IE7 was installed and then SP3 was installed:

• Did the behavior only start after you'd installed SP3?

• Were NAV, Norton Firewall and Spyware Doctor all running in the
background when you installed SP3?
--
~PA Bear

Gadget wrote:
> Hi, thanks for your posts guys.
>
> AV software is Norton Internet Security 2008 which was turned off during
> the
> tests
> Firewall is as above, and turned off during the tests.
> Anti-spyware is PC Tools Spyware Doctor V5.5.1.322, and turned off during
> tests.
>
> All software is up to date.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall
>> (if any)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Gadget wrote:
>>> IE7 V7.0.5730.13
>>> Win XP Pro 2002 SP3
>>>
>>> I am having trouble accessing SOME websites on my laptop, regardless of
>>> which ISP or ADSL connection I use.
>>>
>>> My laptop cannot access a suppliers website either at home or using the
>>> wireless LAN at work, but my desk PC at home and my desk PC at work both
>>> can
>>> access the site.
>>> Same thing when it comes to Google. I can get to the home page but
>>> cannot
>>> get to the search results page.
>>>
>>> The bar at the bottom of the screen shows "Waiting for........." and the
>>> progress bar gets to 5 green blocks (about 1/2 way) but nothing changes
>>> in
>>> the main window. It just sits there waiting. I can cancel navigation or
>>> press stop and navigate to somewhere else (e.g. one I know I can get
>>> to!)
>>> without issue, so I know IE7 is still running.
>>>
>>> I've tried disabling all the add-ons, running spyware/addware/virus
>>> scans,
>>> reinstalling IE7 having downloaded it on another pc and installing from
>>> USB
>>> memory stick, all to no avail.
>>>
>>> I've tried running system restore to about a month ago when everything
>>> was
>>> fine, but it says there were no changes made.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest what I may have missed or what I can try to get
>>> around
>>> this?

Gadget

Re: IE7 won't access some websites
PA Bear, to answer your questions -

"If you connect the laptop at home and/or at work directly to the router,
does the behavior persist?"
Yes, same regardless.

"Is the Windows Firewall also enabled?"
No, was turned off by NIS.

"Did you upgrade to NIS 2008........."
No. NIS2008 installed as a package.

"Did the behavior only start after you'd installed SP3?"
No. Been running it for a while after SP3 installed and was OK.

"Were NAV, Norton Firewall and Spyware Doctor all running in the background
when you installed SP3?"
Don't think SP3 was the issue as IE7 was still working correctly after SP3
was installed, but to answer your question NAV/NIS was running Spyware Doctor
was purchased later.

Anything else you think I could look at?

Many thanks,

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> So many possibilities here!

> If you connect the laptop at home and/or at work directly to the router,
> does the behavior persist?
>
> Is the Windows Firewall also enabled? (It shouldn't be.)
>
> Did you upgrade to NIS 2008 from an earlier version of a Norton application
> (e.g., NIS 2006 or NAV 2005)?
>
> Assuming IE7 was installed and then SP3 was installed:
>
> • Did the behavior only start after you'd installed SP3?
>
> • Were NAV, Norton Firewall and Spyware Doctor all running in the
> background when you installed SP3?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Gadget wrote:
> > Hi, thanks for your posts guys.
> >
> > AV software is Norton Internet Security 2008 which was turned off during
> > the
> > tests
> > Firewall is as above, and turned off during the tests.
> > Anti-spyware is PC Tools Spyware Doctor V5.5.1.322, and turned off during
> > tests.
> >
> > All software is up to date.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> >> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
> >> firewall
> >> (if any)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE7 won't access some websites
One more question: Did this behavior start after you'd installed KB951748
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951748)? If so, see if (1) disabling the
Norton Personal Firewall and then (2) enabling the Windows Firewall makes
any difference.

NB: You do NOT want to connect the machine to the internet without a
firewall enabled!

Otherwise, you may need to tweak your MTU settings.

=> Option #1: See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315008 (ignore the
title)

Scroll down to the section "If You Connect by DSL, Cable Modem, or LAN on
Windows XP"...

<QP>
NOTE: If the issue continues to occur, repeat the preceding steps, but type
a different MTU value between 1,454 and 576. When you test additional MTU
values, try 576 and then increase the number to 600. If setting the MTU
value to 600 does not resolve the issue, increase the value by 100 until you
reach 1,400. If the issue continues to occur, try 1,454 and then stop. When
you are finished, if the issue is still not resolved, change the MTU value
back to 576.

The maximum transmission unit (MTU) setting controls the maximum size of a
TCP/IP packet that your computer sends. If the Internet service provider has
a limit for what can be received, your packets may become fragmented, thus
causing problems.
</QP>

=> Option #2: Go to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and run the test |
Check the results & recommendations afterwards; run DrTCP, if recommended.

PS: If another Norton application had ever been installed on the machine
(i.e., before you installed NIS 2008), let me know.
--
~PA Bear

Gadget wrote:
> PA Bear, to answer your questions -
>
> "If you connect the laptop at home and/or at work directly to the router,
> does the behavior persist?"
> Yes, same regardless.
>
> "Is the Windows Firewall also enabled?"
> No, was turned off by NIS.
>
> "Did you upgrade to NIS 2008........."
> No. NIS2008 installed as a package.
>
> "Did the behavior only start after you'd installed SP3?"
> No. Been running it for a while after SP3 installed and was OK.
>
> "Were NAV, Norton Firewall and Spyware Doctor all running in the
> background
> when you installed SP3?"
> Don't think SP3 was the issue as IE7 was still working correctly after SP3
> was installed, but to answer your question NAV/NIS was running Spyware
> Doctor was purchased later.
>
> Anything else you think I could look at?
>
> Many thanks,
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> So many possibilities here!

>> If you connect the laptop at home and/or at work directly to the router,
>> does the behavior persist?
>>
>> Is the Windows Firewall also enabled? (It shouldn't be.)
>>
>> Did you upgrade to NIS 2008 from an earlier version of a Norton
>> application
>> (e.g., NIS 2006 or NAV 2005)?
>>
>> Assuming IE7 was installed and then SP3 was installed:
>>
>> • Did the behavior only start after you'd installed SP3?
>>
>> • Were NAV, Norton Firewall and Spyware Doctor all running in the
>> background when you installed SP3?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Gadget wrote:
>>> Hi, thanks for your posts guys.
>>>
>>> AV software is Norton Internet Security 2008 which was turned off during
>>> the
>>> tests
>>> Firewall is as above, and turned off during the tests.
>>> Anti-spyware is PC Tools Spyware Doctor V5.5.1.322, and turned off
>>> during
>>> tests.
>>>
>>> All software is up to date.

Gadget

Re: IE7 won't access some websites
1st suggestion worked a treat!

As soon as I created the MTU file Norton found a Trojan in the registry and
wiped it out, despite the fact that it had not found it previously.

I apologise that I didn't write down which trojan it was as I just clicked
"fix" and let it correct the issue.

Incidentally, I did try Firefox as well on the same machine with the issue
present
......(and yes I know Firefox is a dirty word here, but hear me out)...........
........... that program had the same issue as IE7, so it got removed!!!

Anyway, a working laptop again means I am very grateful for your advice.

Cheers mate!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > when you installed SP3?"
> > Don't think SP3 was the issue as IE7 was still working correctly after SP3
> > was installed, but to answer your question NAV/NIS was running Spyware
> > Doctor was purchased later.
> >
> > Anything else you think I could look at?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> So many possibilities here!

> >> If you connect the laptop at home and/or at work directly to the router,
> >> does the behavior persist?
> >>
> >> Is the Windows Firewall also enabled? (It shouldn't be.)
> >>
> >> Did you upgrade to NIS 2008 from an earlier version of a Norton
> >> application
> >> (e.g., NIS 2006 or NAV 2005)?
> >>
> >> Assuming IE7 was installed and then SP3 was installed:
> >>
> >> • Did the behavior only start after you'd installed SP3?
> >>
> >> • Were NAV, Norton Firewall and Spyware Doctor all running in the

You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.

> As soon as I created the MTU file Norton found a Trojan in the registry
> and
> wiped it out, despite the fact that it had not found it previously.

Given that additional information, I'd recommend running a /thorough/ check
for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log to an appropriate
forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm