No pop-up blocker & frequent program hang and / freeze (IE and oth

Tony

No pop-up blocker & frequent program hang and / freeze (IE and oth
Running Vista SP1 with IE7 and Office Pro 2007
I have been having problems (probably) associated with IE for some time, and
they are getting worse, despite carrying out the default reset suggested
under the IE7 FAQ page. The pop-up blocker will not stay set to on, IE itself
keeps on hanging (and fails to allow access to more and more web pages) also,
it "fails" whilst other programs are being run, with a suitable message being
displayed referring to Windows Explorer.
Would there be any point in trying to un-install and then reinstall IE7, and
what additional files would I lose in addition to those mentioned for the
default reset? (Instructions would be appreciated if the answer is yes!)
If the answer is no, then does anyone have alternate suggestions which might
bring IE back to normal working order?
--
Regards, Tony

+++ If you wish to contribute to this thread, please do so, but keep within
the subject so that other readers may benefit from any help / advice given.
Thank you. +++
Don Varnau

Re: No pop-up blocker & frequent program hang and / freeze (IE and oth
Hi,
IE7 cannot be uninstalled/reinstalled in Vista.

Did "Reset IE Settings" help for a short time?

You may have an incompatible browser add-on.
See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
for troubleshooting information.
More at:

You may have another incompatible program installed.
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

Also:
936215- How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215/en-us

Or, this may be a malware problem- adware, spyware, hijacker, trojan, etc.
See these sites for help:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...tion:_Overview
Removing Malware:
827315- Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software:

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running Vista SP1 with IE7 and Office Pro 2007
> I have been having problems (probably) associated with IE for some time,

and
> they are getting worse, despite carrying out the default reset suggested
> under the IE7 FAQ page. The pop-up blocker will not stay set to on, IE

itself
> keeps on hanging (and fails to allow access to more and more web pages)

also,
> it "fails" whilst other programs are being run, with a suitable message

being
> displayed referring to Windows Explorer.
> Would there be any point in trying to un-install and then reinstall IE7,

and
> what additional files would I lose in addition to those mentioned for the
> default reset? (Instructions would be appreciated if the answer is yes!)
> If the answer is no, then does anyone have alternate suggestions which

might
> bring IE back to normal working order?
>
> Regards, Tony

Re: No pop-up blocker & frequent program hang and / freeze (IE and oth
What Don said.

> The pop-up blocker will not stay set to on...

One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the change(s) from "sticking". These include
but are not limited to Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, AVG Anti-Spyware,
Norton AntiVirus, McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware, NOD32, and Zone Alarm
(Free, Pro, & Security Suite).

> ...[IE] "fails" whilst other programs are being run, with a
> suitable message being displayed referring to Windows Explorer.

And that message is...?

PS: This behavior might be related to the OL issues you've posted about in
Internet Mail newsgroup ("MS Outlook sends, but won't reveive [sic] mail").

==========================
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware