Unable To Create RegHelper

tengel

Unable To Create RegHelper
I think I've found another problem with Update KB950759 which I installed on
6/29/08, and I'm hoping that someone can help.

I use McAfee software provided by Comcast for virus protection, and after
6/29 the next automatically scheduled weekly virus scan would have run on 7/4
but it didn't. The last successful scheduled scan was on 6/27, just two days
before the KB950759 installation.

When I open McAfee Security Center and ask it to run a manual scan, I get
the following error message inside of a Windows Internet Explorer box that
says:

Unable To Create
gObjRegHelper{6A5A9B2E-3BD7-4c70-83F2-E664A86568F4}

If I click OK in that box, I can run the manual scan, but I'm not able to
set up an automated schedule anymore.

The fact that this problem started right after the KB950759 installation
(which is a security update for IE7) and the error message is coming from IE,
leads me to believe that the problem is somehow related to the update. What
do you think?

--
Tom Engel
Leonard Grey

Re: Unable To Create RegHelper
I think you should ask McAfee technical support why you're seeing that
message.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

tengel wrote:
> I think I've found another problem with Update KB950759 which I installed on
> 6/29/08, and I'm hoping that someone can help.
>
> I use McAfee software provided by Comcast for virus protection, and after
> 6/29 the next automatically scheduled weekly virus scan would have run on 7/4
> but it didn't. The last successful scheduled scan was on 6/27, just two days
> before the KB950759 installation.
>
> When I open McAfee Security Center and ask it to run a manual scan, I get
> the following error message inside of a Windows Internet Explorer box that
> says:
>
> Unable To Create
> gObjRegHelper{6A5A9B2E-3BD7-4c70-83F2-E664A86568F4}
>
> If I click OK in that box, I can run the manual scan, but I'm not able to
> set up an automated schedule anymore.
>
> The fact that this problem started right after the KB950759 installation
> (which is a security update for IE7) and the error message is coming from IE,
> leads me to believe that the problem is somehow related to the update. What
> do you think?

Re: Unable To Create RegHelper
What Leonard said.

PS: KB950759 was released almost 2 months ago: Why did you wait 6+ weeks to
install it?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

tengel wrote:
> I think I've found another problem with Update KB950759 which I installed
> on
> 6/29/08, and I'm hoping that someone can help.
>
> I use McAfee software provided by Comcast for virus protection, and after
> 6/29 the next automatically scheduled weekly virus scan would have run on
> 7/4 but it didn't. The last successful scheduled scan was on 6/27, just
> two
> days before the KB950759 installation.
>
> When I open McAfee Security Center and ask it to run a manual scan, I get
> the following error message inside of a Windows Internet Explorer box that
> says:
>
> Unable To Create
> gObjRegHelper{6A5A9B2E-3BD7-4c70-83F2-E664A86568F4}
>
> If I click OK in that box, I can run the manual scan, but I'm not able to
> set up an automated schedule anymore.
>
> The fact that this problem started right after the KB950759 installation
> (which is a security update for IE7) and the error message is coming from
> IE, leads me to believe that the problem is somehow related to the update.
> What do you think?

tengel

Re: Unable To Create RegHelper
I installed the KB950759 update when it was received but it caused a "Bad
Image" error message which is the subject of a previous thread. I uninstalled
the update, reported the problem to MS and waited for a correction. The
corrected update was received and installed on 6/29.

--
Tom Engel

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What Leonard said.
>
> PS: KB950759 was released almost 2 months ago: Why did you wait 6+ weeks to
> install it?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> tengel wrote:
> > I think I've found another problem with Update KB950759 which I installed
> > on
> > 6/29/08, and I'm hoping that someone can help.
> >
> > I use McAfee software provided by Comcast for virus protection, and after
> > 6/29 the next automatically scheduled weekly virus scan would have run on
> > 7/4 but it didn't. The last successful scheduled scan was on 6/27, just
> > two
> > days before the KB950759 installation.
> >
> > When I open McAfee Security Center and ask it to run a manual scan, I get
> > the following error message inside of a Windows Internet Explorer box that
> > says:
> >
> > Unable To Create
> > gObjRegHelper{6A5A9B2E-3BD7-4c70-83F2-E664A86568F4}
> >
> > If I click OK in that box, I can run the manual scan, but I'm not able to
> > set up an automated schedule anymore.
> >
> > The fact that this problem started right after the KB950759 installation
> > (which is a security update for IE7) and the error message is coming from
> > IE, leads me to believe that the problem is somehow related to the update.
> > What do you think?

tengel

Re: Unable To Create RegHelper
I spoke with McAfee technical support before posting this thread. They have
no knowledge of such an error message and suggested that I contact MS.
Microsoft has as yet not responded to an email I sent describing the problem.
--
Tom Engel

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> I think you should ask McAfee technical support why you're seeing that
> message.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> tengel wrote:
> > I think I've found another problem with Update KB950759 which I installed on
> > 6/29/08, and I'm hoping that someone can help.
> >
> > I use McAfee software provided by Comcast for virus protection, and after
> > 6/29 the next automatically scheduled weekly virus scan would have run on 7/4
> > but it didn't. The last successful scheduled scan was on 6/27, just two days
> > before the KB950759 installation.
> >
> > When I open McAfee Security Center and ask it to run a manual scan, I get
> > the following error message inside of a Windows Internet Explorer box that
> > says:
> >
> > Unable To Create
> > gObjRegHelper{6A5A9B2E-3BD7-4c70-83F2-E664A86568F4}
> >
> > If I click OK in that box, I can run the manual scan, but I'm not able to
> > set up an automated schedule anymore.
> >
> > The fact that this problem started right after the KB950759 installation
> > (which is a security update for IE7) and the error message is coming from IE,
> > leads me to believe that the problem is somehow related to the update. What
> > do you think?

Robert Aldwinckle

"tengel" <tengel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I think I've found another problem with Update KB950759 which I installed on
> 6/29/08, and I'm hoping that someone can help.
>
> I use McAfee software provided by Comcast for virus protection, and after
> 6/29 the next automatically scheduled weekly virus scan would have run on 7/4
> but it didn't. The last successful scheduled scan was on 6/27, just two days
> before the KB950759 installation.
>
> When I open McAfee Security Center and ask it to run a manual scan, I get
> the following error message inside of a Windows Internet Explorer box that
> says:
>
> Unable To Create
> gObjRegHelper{6A5A9B2E-3BD7-4c70-83F2-E664A86568F4}

Could be a permissions thing. ProcMon would help.

> If I click OK in that box, I can run the manual scan, but I'm not able to
> set up an automated schedule anymore.

Another possible sign of a permissions thing. E.g. what account
is the "automated schedule" run under? ProcMon or even Process Explorer
could help with that too.

> The fact that this problem started right after the KB950759 installation
> (which is a security update for IE7) and the error message is coming from IE,
> leads me to believe that the problem is somehow related to the update. What
> do you think?

Depending on how the McAfee thing is hooked in it could be that the install
of the update has broken its hooks. In that case I would uninstall the extension
and reinstall it, hoping that it was still compatible enough to be reinstalled
completely.

If you can't figure it out I suspect you need to talk with someone at McAfee
who provides more than first level support. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: Unable To Create RegHelper
Does uninstalling KB950759 again resolve the behavior?

NB: I'd only have uninstalled KB950759 long enough to test the behavior.

NB: The fact that your McAfee application (or any other security-related
application; e.g., third-party firewall, anti-spyware) was running in the
background when you installed KB950759 may have caused these problems.

You could always...

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number.

LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).

~PA Bear

tengel wrote:
> I installed the KB950759 update when it was received but it caused a "Bad
> Image" error message which is the subject of a previous thread. I
> uninstalled the update, reported the problem to MS and waited for a
> correction. The corrected update was received and installed on 6/29.
>

>> What Leonard said.
>>
>> PS: KB950759 was released almost 2 months ago: Why did you wait 6+ weeks
>> install it?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> tengel wrote:
>>> I think I've found another problem with Update KB950759 which I
>>> installed
>>> on
>>> 6/29/08, and I'm hoping that someone can help.
>>>
>>> I use McAfee software provided by Comcast for virus protection, and
>>> after
>>> 6/29 the next automatically scheduled weekly virus scan would have run
>>> on
>>> 7/4 but it didn't. The last successful scheduled scan was on 6/27, just
>>> two
>>> days before the KB950759 installation.
>>>
>>> When I open McAfee Security Center and ask it to run a manual scan, I
>>> get
>>> the following error message inside of a Windows Internet Explorer box
>>> that
>>> says:
>>>
>>> Unable To Create
>>> gObjRegHelper{6A5A9B2E-3BD7-4c70-83F2-E664A86568F4}
>>>
>>> If I click OK in that box, I can run the manual scan, but I'm not able
>>> set up an automated schedule anymore.
>>>
>>> The fact that this problem started right after the KB950759 installation
>>> (which is a security update for IE7) and the error message is coming
>>> from
>>> IE, leads me to believe that the problem is somehow related to the
>>> update.
>>> What do you think?

tengel

Re: Unable To Create RegHelper
OK, I uninstalled KB950759 and the problem still exists. Reinstalling the
update seems to have no effect, i.e. the RegHelper error message still
appears. So I guess the problem is within the McAfee software and not the IE7
update. Thanks for your help.
--
Tom Engel

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Does uninstalling KB950759 again resolve the behavior?
>
> NB: I'd only have uninstalled KB950759 long enough to test the behavior.
>
> NB: The fact that your McAfee application (or any other security-related
> application; e.g., third-party firewall, anti-spyware) was running in the
> background when you installed KB950759 may have caused these problems.
>
> You could always...

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number.
>
> LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
> call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
> (which is 47830).

> ~PA Bear
>

> tengel wrote:
> > I installed the KB950759 update when it was received but it caused a "Bad
> > Image" error message which is the subject of a previous thread. I
> > uninstalled the update, reported the problem to MS and waited for a
> > correction. The corrected update was received and installed on 6/29.
> >

> >> What Leonard said.
> >>
> >> PS: KB950759 was released almost 2 months ago: Why did you wait 6+ weeks
> >> install it?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Andrew

Re: Unable To Create RegHelper
I have the exact same problem. did you ever find a fix?