Isn't there some way I can use IE, ftp, to view my files?

AAaron123

Isn't there some way I can use IE, ftp, to view my files?
I use the following to list the files on my site:

ftp://me@home.twcny.rr.com/

They contain directories.

If I click one of the directories I get:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage...

Isn't there some way I can use IE to view my files?

thanks

Don Varnau

Re: Isn't there some way I can use IE, ftp, to view my files?
Hi,
Your message headers suggest Windows XP.
Which version of Internet Explorer?
Were you ever able to access the FTP site with Internet Explorer?
Has Internet Explorer been able to access other FTP sites?
Are you running a third-party firewall/security suite?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> I use the following to list the files on my site:
>
> ftp://me@home.twcny.rr.com/
>
> They contain directories.
>
> If I click one of the directories I get:
> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage...
>
> Isn't there some way I can use IE to view my files?
>
> thanks

AAaron123

> Hi,
> Your message headers suggest Windows XP.
> Which version of Internet Explorer?

IE 7

> Were you ever able to access the FTP site with Internet Explorer?

I can now. It's just when I'd like to navigate to a subdirectory I can't do
that by clicking the subdirectory's name.

Should that work?

> Has Internet Explorer been able to access other FTP sites?

don't know any other sites

> Are you running a third-party firewall/security suite?

Zone alarm

BTW:
What does the ME in my example indicate?
I thought it was the username but IE asked me to supply that later. Maybe
"Me" needs to be followed by a password?

> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> I use the following to list the files on my site:
>>
>> ftp://me@home.twcny.rr.com/
>>
>> They contain directories.
>>
>> If I click one of the directories I get:
>> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage...
>>
>> Isn't there some way I can use IE to view my files?
>>
>> thanks

Don Varnau

Re: Isn't there some way I can use IE, ftp, to view my files?
Hi,
Try... After accessing the ftp site, go to IE> Page> Open FTP site in
Windows Explorer.

Option 2... Go to My Network Places> Add Network Place. Follow the wizard to
add the FTP site. The URL format
ftp://usernameassword@domain.com should work.

If Network Places isn't on the desktop... Display Properties> Desktop>
Customize> check it.

> What does the ME in my example indicate?

It's just the name of the directory set aside for user ftp accounts. Logging
in takes you to your specific directory/folder.

> > Hi,
> > Your message headers suggest Windows XP.
> > Which version of Internet Explorer?

> IE 7
>
> > Were you ever able to access the FTP site with Internet Explorer?

> I can now. It's just when I'd like to navigate to a subdirectory I can't

do
> that by clicking the subdirectory's name.
>
> Should that work?
>
> > Has Internet Explorer been able to access other FTP sites?

> don't know any other sites
>
> > Are you running a third-party firewall/security suite?

> Zone alarm
> >

> BTW:
> What does the ME in my example indicate?
> I thought it was the username but IE asked me to supply that later. Maybe
> "Me" needs to be followed by a password?
>
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> >> I use the following to list the files on my site:
> >>
> >> ftp://me@home.twcny.rr.com/
> >>
> >> They contain directories.
> >>
> >> If I click one of the directories I get:
> >> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage...
> >>
> >> Isn't there some way I can use IE to view my files?
> >>
> >> thanks

AAaron123

> Hi,
> Try... After accessing the ftp site, go to IE> Page> Open FTP site in
> Windows Explorer.
>
> Option 2... Go to My Network Places> Add Network Place. Follow the wizard
> add the FTP site. The URL format
> ftp://usernameassword@domain.com should work.
>
> If Network Places isn't on the desktop... Display Properties> Desktop>
> Customize> check it.
>
>> What does the ME in my example indicate?

> It's just the name of the directory set aside for user ftp accounts.
> Logging
> in takes you to your specific directory/folder.

I thougt that was done by adding "folder" as shown below. No?

ftp://me@home.twcny.rr.com/folder/subfolder

thanks again

> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > Your message headers suggest Windows XP.
>> > Which version of Internet Explorer?

>> IE 7
>>
>> > Were you ever able to access the FTP site with Internet Explorer?

>> I can now. It's just when I'd like to navigate to a subdirectory I can't

> do
>> that by clicking the subdirectory's name.
>>
>> Should that work?
>>
>> > Has Internet Explorer been able to access other FTP sites?

>> don't know any other sites
>>
>> > Are you running a third-party firewall/security suite?

>> Zone alarm
>> >

>> BTW:
>> What does the ME in my example indicate?
>> I thought it was the username but IE asked me to supply that later. Maybe
>> "Me" needs to be followed by a password?
>>
>> > Don
>> > [MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Re: Isn't there some way I can use IE, ftp, to view my files?
Did you try ?

> > Hi,
> > Try... After accessing the ftp site, go to IE> Page> Open FTP site in
> > Windows Explorer.
> >
> > Option 2... Go to My Network Places> Add Network Place. Follow the

wizard
> > add the FTP site. The URL format
> > ftp://usernameassword@domain.com should work.
> >
> > If Network Places isn't on the desktop... Display Properties> Desktop>
> > Customize> check it.
> >
> >> What does the ME in my example indicate?

> > It's just the name of the directory set aside for user ftp accounts.
> > Logging
> > in takes you to your specific directory/folder.

> I thougt that was done by adding "folder" as shown below. No?
>
> ftp://me@home.twcny.rr.com/folder/subfolder
>
> thanks again

> > "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
> >>
> >> IE 7

> >> I can now. It's just when I'd like to navigate to a subdirectory I

can't
> > do
> >> that by clicking the subdirectory's name.
> >>
> >> Should that work?

> >> don't know any other sites

> >> Zone alarm
> >> >

> >> BTW:
> >> What does the ME in my example indicate?
> >> I thought it was the username but IE asked me to supply that later.

Maybe
> >> "Me" needs to be followed by a password?

AAaron123

> Did you try ?
>> > Try... After accessing the ftp site, go to IE> Page> Open FTP site in
>> > Windows Explorer.

I get a message "this ftp site can not be viewed in windows explorer"

>> > Option 2... Go to My Network Places> Add Network Place. Follow the

> wizard
>> > add the FTP site. The URL format
>> > ftp://usernameassword@domain.com should work.

I cut the address from IE so I know there is no typo but I get the message
that the format is incorrect.

What does work is after I click on a folder I get an error message but the
address in IE has been updated. I insert usernameassword@ and that works.

Thanks for your help - I knew about inserting username@ but didn't know how
to include the password

>> > If Network Places isn't on the desktop... Display Properties> Desktop>
>> > Customize> check it.

> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>
>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > Try... After accessing the ftp site, go to IE> Page> Open FTP site in
>> > Windows Explorer.
>> >
>> > Option 2... Go to My Network Places> Add Network Place. Follow the

> wizard
>> > add the FTP site. The URL format
>> > ftp://usernameassword@domain.com should work.
>> >
>> > If Network Places isn't on the desktop... Display Properties> Desktop>
>> > Customize> check it.

>> > It's just the name of the directory set aside for user ftp accounts.
>> > Logging
>> > in takes you to your specific directory/folder.

>> I thougt that was done by adding "folder" as shown below. No?
>>
>> ftp://me@home.twcny.rr.com/folder/subfolder
>>
>> thanks again

>> > "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message

> can't
>> > do

> Maybe

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Isn't there some way I can use IE, ftp, to view my files?
"AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message

>> Hi,
>> Your message headers suggest Windows XP.
>> Which version of Internet Explorer?

> IE 7
>
>> Were you ever able to access the FTP site with Internet Explorer?

> I can now. It's just when I'd like to navigate to a subdirectory I can't do
> that by clicking the subdirectory's name.
>
> Should that work?

Not necessarily and if you're thinking of the way that IE6 used to work
because of option
Enable FTP folder view (outside off Internet Explorer)
(Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section)

as you can see by the new parenthetical notice it won't work in just the
browser the way it once did.

>> Has Internet Explorer been able to access other FTP sites?

> don't know any other sites

Try ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ for comparison and as an aid to further discussion then.

; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

AAaron123

> "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> Your message headers suggest Windows XP.
>>> Which version of Internet Explorer?

>> IE 7
>>
>>> Were you ever able to access the FTP site with Internet Explorer?

>> I can now. It's just when I'd like to navigate to a subdirectory I can't
>> do
>> that by clicking the subdirectory's name.
>>
>> Should that work?

> Not necessarily and if you're thinking of the way that IE6 used to work
> because of option
> Enable FTP folder view (outside off Internet Explorer)
> (Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section)
>
> as you can see by the new parenthetical notice it won't work in just the
> browser the way it once did.
>

>>> Has Internet Explorer been able to access other FTP sites?

>> don't know any other sites

> Try ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ for comparison and as an aid to further
> discussion then.

No problem there. I believe because it des not require username/password.
My site does and I now know that I can move to a subdirectory by clicking to
update the address and then pasting in my usernameassword

Thanks

> ; )
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message

>> Try ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ for comparison and as an aid to further
>> discussion then.
>>

> No problem there. I believe because it des not require username/password.

Actually it requires an "anonymous" login. You can see this by trying the ftp
command in a cmd window.

> My site does and I now know that I can move to a subdirectory by clicking to
> update the address and then pasting in my usernameassword

Did you try Don's suggestion to create a Network Place?
That's one of the things that it would be good for.

Again, there's a difference in IE7 versus IE6 on this point too.
E.g. in IE6 once you had started an FTP session the File menu
would get a Login As... item added to it. That's where you could
use your userid/password more securely than modifying the URL
as you're doing now. E.g. if it is a shared machine and you care
about your authentication being available for others you will probably
have to clear History after each such FTP session (unless IE7 has
a feature which deletes those parts of the URL before it adds them
to the TypedURLs list or the History and AutoSuggest list? <w>)

Robert
---