ERROR 404

I.D. Azeez

ERROR 404
A web address I occasionally use gave me the following message a few days
ago:

ERROR 404 - NOT FOUND
From RFC Hypertext Transfer Protocol - HTTP/1.1 10.4.5 404 Not Found

Is there anything I can do to have my access to the web address restored.
It works on computers of others I know.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Azeez

Leonard Grey

Re: ERROR 404
What should we do to find out what web address you're talking
about...tea leaves, tarot, seance?

Sometimes the Internet Just Breaks
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-99...?tag=cnetfd.mt

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

I.D. Azeez wrote:
> A web address I occasionally use gave me the following message a few
> days ago:
>
> ERROR 404 - NOT FOUND
> From RFC Hypertext Transfer Protocol - HTTP/1.1 10.4.5 404 Not Found
>
> Is there anything I can do to have my access to the web address
> restored. It works on computers of others I know.
>
> Your advice will be appreciated.
>
> Azeez

Kayman

Re: ERROR 404
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:22:15 -0400, I.D. Azeez wrote:

> A web address I occasionally use gave me the following message a few days
> ago:
>
> ERROR 404 - NOT FOUND
> From RFC Hypertext Transfer Protocol - HTTP/1.1 10.4.5 404 Not Found
>
> Is there anything I can do to have my access to the web address restored.
> It works on computers of others I know.
>
> Your advice will be appreciated.

Google: "ERROR 404" - plenty of info.
Daniel Crichton

Re: ERROR 404
I.D. wrote on Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:22:15 -0400:

> A web address I occasionally use gave me the following message a few
> days ago:

> ERROR 404 - NOT FOUND
> From RFC Hypertext Transfer Protocol - HTTP/1.1 10.4.5 404 Not Found

> Is there anything I can do to have my access to the web address
> restored. It works on computers of others I know.

> Your advice will be appreciated.

> Azeez

This is an expected response from a server when you request a page that does
not exist. It's possible the server admin has deleted or renamed the page
and that's why it no longer works.

The other computers may still work if they are pulling a copy of the page
from a proxy server, and will continue to do so until the proxy deletes the
cached page. Or it could be that your computer is actually requesting the
page from the wrong server - which could be a DNS problem at your ISP, or on
your computer itself (for instance if you modified the HOSTS file), or a
misconfigured proxy server between your computer and the server. It might be
that you've installed something on your computer that is blocking access to
that URL. It could even be that the server administrator has blocked your IP
address and rather than returning a 403 response (which would be the usual
response to a forbidden request) it is returning the 404 response instead.
It could also be that the server admin has misconfigured the request for
everyone.

If you post the URL then some of us might be able to tell you if the file
does still exist on the server or not. Otherwise, your guess is as good
anyone's as to what is happening. However, it's pretty much a given that
it's not Internet Explorer that has a problem.

--
Dan

I.D. Azeez

Re: ERROR 404
Many thanks to Daniel Crichton for his comments. The web address is that of
the cell phone company Fido, for Canada as <fido.ca>. I have used it for my
account only, for convenience. There is an address which comes up as an
alternative of the ERROR 404, but it does not refresh its account, nor any
other function. Why it is there, I wonder.
Sincerely, Azeez

"Daniel Crichton" <msnews@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
> I.D. wrote on Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:22:15 -0400:
>
>> A web address I occasionally use gave me the following message a few
>> days ago:

>> ERROR 404 - NOT FOUND
>> From RFC Hypertext Transfer Protocol - HTTP/1.1 10.4.5 404 Not Found

>> Is there anything I can do to have my access to the web address
>> restored. It works on computers of others I know.

>> Your advice will be appreciated.

>> Azeez

> This is an expected response from a server when you request a page that
> does not exist. It's possible the server admin has deleted or renamed the
> page and that's why it no longer works.
>
> The other computers may still work if they are pulling a copy of the page
> from a proxy server, and will continue to do so until the proxy deletes
> the cached page. Or it could be that your computer is actually requesting
> the page from the wrong server - which could be a DNS problem at your ISP,
> or on your computer itself (for instance if you modified the HOSTS file),
> or a misconfigured proxy server between your computer and the server. It
> might be that you've installed something on your computer that is blocking
> access to that URL. It could even be that the server administrator has
> blocked your IP address and rather than returning a 403 response (which
> would be the usual response to a forbidden request) it is returning the
> 404 response instead. It could also be that the server admin has
> misconfigured the request for everyone.
>
> If you post the URL then some of us might be able to tell you if the file
> does still exist on the server or not. Otherwise, your guess is as good
> anyone's as to what is happening. However, it's pretty much a given that
> it's not Internet Explorer that has a problem.
>
> --
> Dan

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: ERROR 404
"I.D. Azeez" <p25id6@videotron.ca> wrote in message

>> If you post the URL

> Many thanks to Daniel Crichton for his comments. The web address is that of
> the cell phone company Fido, for Canada as <fido.ca>. I have used it for my
> account only, for convenience. There is an address which comes up as an
> alternative of the ERROR 404, but it does not refresh its account, nor any
> other function. Why it is there, I wonder.

I doubt that that is the URL that you are seeing but it is interesting to see that
that server seems to be _very_ particular about the syntax it gets.

E.g. normally we can simulate an HTTP browser connection using telnet
to a site's port 80 with as little as GET / though sometimes we have to switch to
GET / HTTP/1.1 plus Host: fido.ca In this case even the latter is coming
back with an HTTP 500 error response:

<HTML_Extract>
<H3>From RFC 2068 <i>Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1</i>:</H3></FONT>
<FONT FACE="Helvetica" SIZE="3"><H4>10.5.1 500 Internal Server Error</H4></FONT>
<P><FONT FACE="Courier New">The server encountered an unexpected condition
which prevented it from fulfilling the request.</FONT></P>
</HTML_Extract>

So this at least gives you the RFC number of the specification that
the other section number that you saw will be coming from...

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2068.txt

(Live Search for
rfc2068
)

A better tool to use both for testing and diagnosis is Fiddler2.
With it we can try adding a User-Agent and whatever else
the host server seems to need to simulate a successful request...
Hmm... the server's not even satisfied when I replace Fiddler's User-Agent
with the real IE7 User-Agent in Fiddler's Request Builder. Very unusual.

Well, Fiddler shows that there are 4 other headers which could
be sent to exactly simulate what IE7 would send with its request.
I leave finding which ones of those aren't absolutely required by
that server as "an exercise for the reader". ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---