Tabbed Browsing Not Working

WMB

Tabbed Browsing Not Working
Windows XPSP3, OE6, IE7; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for
Virus/Malware

1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256 kilobyte
secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2 Premier,
Windows XP (Home-GOLD) SP3, Calvary External USB 400 GB Hard Drive, 1.5 GB
Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists, MPU-401 Compatible
MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller - Standard
Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz, BIOS: Award
Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/05/2001, Virus/Malware Protection -
Windows Live One Care, MS Windows Malicious SW Removal Tool, TrojanHunter
Guard, SUPERAntiSpyware, HiJackThis, Spybot Search & Destroy,

RegCure, CCleaner.

IE7 Add On's enabled: Adobe PDF Reader Link; IE7 Pro Preferences; ShockWave
Flash Object; Sun Java Console:

Problem: Unable to get Tabed Browsing to Enable. Tools > Internet Options
> Settings > Enable Tabbed Browsing (Restart) does not work.

Does anyone know of other ways to enable tabbed browsing? All links open
replacing the original/previous page or a 2nd instance of IE will open with
the new page.

TIA

Leonard Grey

Re: Tabbed Browsing Not Working
Probably the result of using registry cleaners (like RegCure and the
registry component of CCleaner.)

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

WMB wrote:
> Windows XPSP3, OE6, IE7; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for
> Virus/Malware
>

> 1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256 kilobyte
> secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2 Premier,
> Windows XP (Home-GOLD) SP3, Calvary External USB 400 GB Hard Drive, 1.5 GB
> Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists, MPU-401 Compatible
> MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller - Standard
> Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz, BIOS: Award
> Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/05/2001, Virus/Malware Protection -
> Windows Live One Care, MS Windows Malicious SW Removal Tool, TrojanHunter
> Guard, SUPERAntiSpyware, HiJackThis, Spybot Search & Destroy,
>
> RegCure, CCleaner.
>

> IE7 Add On's enabled: Adobe PDF Reader Link; IE7 Pro Preferences; ShockWave
> Flash Object; Sun Java Console:
>

> Problem: Unable to get Tabed Browsing to Enable. Tools > Internet Options
> > Settings > Enable Tabbed Browsing (Restart) does not work.

> Does anyone know of other ways to enable tabbed browsing? All links open
> replacing the original/previous page or a 2nd instance of IE will open with
> the new page.
>

> TIA

Re: Tabbed Browsing Not Working
1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons; or

Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
add-ons).

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist? If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs!]

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Required reading IMHO before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

====================

IMPORTANT! => IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

WMB wrote:
> Windows XPSP3, OE6, IE7; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for
> Virus/Malware
>

> 1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256
> kilobyte
> secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2 Premier,
> Windows XP (Home-GOLD) SP3, Calvary External USB 400 GB Hard Drive, 1.5 GB
> Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists, MPU-401 Compatible
> MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller - Standard
> Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz, BIOS:
> Award
> Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/05/2001, Virus/Malware
> Protection -
> Windows Live One Care, MS Windows Malicious SW Removal Tool, TrojanHunter
> Guard, SUPERAntiSpyware, HiJackThis, Spybot Search & Destroy,
>
> RegCure, CCleaner.
>

> IE7 Add On's enabled: Adobe PDF Reader Link; IE7 Pro Preferences;
> ShockWave
> Flash Object; Sun Java Console:
>

> Problem: Unable to get Tabed Browsing to Enable. Tools > Internet Options
>> Settings > Enable Tabbed Browsing (Restart) does not work.

> Does anyone know of other ways to enable tabbed browsing? All links open
> replacing the original/previous page or a 2nd instance of IE will open
> with
> the new page.
>

> TIA

someone

Re: Tabbed Browsing Not Working
I had the same problem after installing SP3: IE7 would lock up if I tried to
open a tab. I checked no add-ons through system accessories. Then I went
through all the add-ons (found under Tools/Manage Add-ons) enabling them one
by one until I found the culprit, which was Windows Live Toolbar. I
uninstalled it.

"WMB" <brown.2005@.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Windows XPSP3, OE6, IE7; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for
> Virus/Malware
>

> 1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256
> kilobyte secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2
> Premier, Windows XP (Home-GOLD) SP3, Calvary External USB 400 GB Hard
> Drive, 1.5 GB Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists,
> MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio
> Controller - Standard Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock:
> 100 megahertz, BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG
> 09/05/2001, Virus/Malware Protection - Windows Live One Care, MS Windows
> Malicious SW Removal Tool, TrojanHunter Guard, SUPERAntiSpyware,
> HiJackThis, Spybot Search & Destroy,
>
> RegCure, CCleaner.
>

> IE7 Add On's enabled: Adobe PDF Reader Link; IE7 Pro Preferences;
> ShockWave Flash Object; Sun Java Console:
>

> Problem: Unable to get Tabed Browsing to Enable. Tools > Internet Options
> > Settings > Enable Tabbed Browsing (Restart) does not work.

> Does anyone know of other ways to enable tabbed browsing? All links open
> replacing the original/previous page or a 2nd instance of IE will open
> with the new page.
>

> TIA

Re: Tabbed Browsing Not Working
Thanks for the back-up!

someone wrote:
> I had the same problem after installing SP3: IE7 would lock up if I tried
> open a tab. I checked no add-ons through system accessories. Then I went
> through all the add-ons (found under Tools/Manage Add-ons) enabling them
> one
> by one until I found the culprit, which was Windows Live Toolbar. I
> uninstalled it.
>
> "WMB" <brown.2005@.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Windows XPSP3, OE6, IE7; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for
>> Virus/Malware
>>

>> 1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256
>> kilobyte secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2
>> Premier, Windows XP (Home-GOLD) SP3, Calvary External USB 400 GB Hard
>> Drive, 1.5 GB Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists,
>> MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio
>> Controller - Standard Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock:
>> 100 megahertz, BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG
>> 09/05/2001, Virus/Malware Protection - Windows Live One Care, MS Windows
>> Malicious SW Removal Tool, TrojanHunter Guard, SUPERAntiSpyware,
>> HiJackThis, Spybot Search & Destroy,
>>
>> RegCure, CCleaner.
>>

>> IE7 Add On's enabled: Adobe PDF Reader Link; IE7 Pro Preferences;
>> ShockWave Flash Object; Sun Java Console:
>>

>> Problem: Unable to get Tabed Browsing to Enable. Tools > Internet
>>> Settings > Enable Tabbed Browsing (Restart) does not work.

>> Does anyone know of other ways to enable tabbed browsing? All links open
>> replacing the original/previous page or a 2nd instance of IE will open
>> with the new page.
>>

>> TIA

WMB

Re: Tabbed Browsing Not Working
Hi,

Thanks for everyone's information. It "appears" that as soon as I posted
this question/problem for help, the behavior stopped and clicking links
returned to opening in tabbs. Maybe for some reason the problem is
intermittent? Still checking. Thanks again to all for your suggestions.