File>send>shortcut to desktop option doesn't work

Frank F

File>send>shortcut to desktop option doesn't work
When I use, file>send>shortcut to desktop option, an icon does appear
on the desktop but it doesn't have the blue "e" in it and when I try to use
it,
it just asks what program do I want to use.

I noticed in Control panel, folder options, file types, that when I select
different items, the info changes but it does NOT for
HTM & HTML
so maybe these 2 are corrupted ?
How can I fix this ?
Thanks Frank

Dave F.

Re: File>send>shortcut to desktop option doesn't work
Frank if you are using XP I might be able to help. Click Start>Set Program
Access and Defaults. When the Add Remove Program Screen appears expand the
Custom section. Under "Choose a default Web browser:" click Internet
Explorer and then click the OK button at the bottom of the screen. This
should fix the problem.

Dave F.

"Frank F" <Frank@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> When I use, file>send>shortcut to desktop option, an icon does appear
> on the desktop but it doesn't have the blue "e" in it and when I try to
> use it,
> it just asks what program do I want to use.
>
> I noticed in Control panel, folder options, file types, that when I select
> different items, the info changes but it does NOT for
> HTM & HTML
> so maybe these 2 are corrupted ?
> How can I fix this ?
> Thanks Frank

Don Varnau

Re: File>send>shortcut to desktop option doesn't work
Hi,
Message headers suggest Windows XP.
Which version of Internet Explorer?
Which type of file are you attempting to create a shortcut to?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Frank F" <Frank@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> When I use, file>send>shortcut to desktop option, an icon does appear
> on the desktop but it doesn't have the blue "e" in it and when I try to

use
> it,
> it just asks what program do I want to use.
>
> I noticed in Control panel, folder options, file types, that when I select
> different items, the info changes but it does NOT for
> HTM & HTML
> so maybe these 2 are corrupted ?
> How can I fix this ?
> Thanks Frank

Frank F

Re: File>send>shortcut to desktop option doesn't work
Yes, Windows XP, using IE7.
While in IE, trying to create desktop shortcut to a web page.
Frank

> Hi,
> Message headers suggest Windows XP.
> Which version of Internet Explorer?
> Which type of file are you attempting to create a shortcut to?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Frank F" <Frank@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> When I use, file>send>shortcut to desktop option, an icon does appear
>> on the desktop but it doesn't have the blue "e" in it and when I try to

> use
>> it,
>> it just asks what program do I want to use.
>>
>> I noticed in Control panel, folder options, file types, that when I
>> select
>> different items, the info changes but it does NOT for
>> HTM & HTML
>> so maybe these 2 are corrupted ?
>> How can I fix this ?
>> Thanks Frank

Don Varnau

Re: File>send>shortcut to desktop option doesn't work
Hi,
As Dave advised, make sure that IE is the default browser.

Also from Folder Options> File Types> Internet Shortcut> Advanced, is the
icon correct?

Also, you may just need to refresh the IconCache. Follow the procedure at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926715

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

> Yes, Windows XP, using IE7.
> While in IE, trying to create desktop shortcut to a web page.
> Frank

> > Hi,
> > Message headers suggest Windows XP.
> > Which version of Internet Explorer?
> > Which type of file are you attempting to create a shortcut to?

> > "Frank F" <Frank@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> >> When I use, file>send>shortcut to desktop option, an icon does appear
> >> on the desktop but it doesn't have the blue "e" in it and when I try to

> > use it,
> >> it just asks what program do I want to use.
> >>
> >> I noticed in Control panel, folder options, file types, that when I
> >> select
> >> different items, the info changes but it does NOT for
> >> HTM & HTML
> >> so maybe these 2 are corrupted ?
> >> How can I fix this ?
> >> Thanks Frank

Leonard Grey

Re: File>send>shortcut to desktop option doesn't work
Left-click on the icon (or favicon as the case may be) in the Address
Bar, drag it to the desktop and release the mouse button.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Frank F wrote:
> Yes, Windows XP, using IE7.
> While in IE, trying to create desktop shortcut to a web page.
> Frank

>> Hi,
>> Message headers suggest Windows XP.
>> Which version of Internet Explorer?
>> Which type of file are you attempting to create a shortcut to?
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Frank F" <Frank@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> When I use, file>send>shortcut to desktop option, an icon does appear
>>> on the desktop but it doesn't have the blue "e" in it and when I try to

>> use
>>> it,
>>> it just asks what program do I want to use.
>>>
>>> I noticed in Control panel, folder options, file types, that when I
>>> select
>>> different items, the info changes but it does NOT for
>>> HTM & HTML
>>> so maybe these 2 are corrupted ?
>>> How can I fix this ?
>>> Thanks Frank

Frank F

Re: File>send>shortcut to desktop option doesn't work
That fixed it. Thanks Frank