Open a new tab from tha drop down address bar

DimkoD

Open a new tab from tha drop down address bar
Some times I need to open a new tab from an address deep down the Address Bar
drop down list.
I've tried middle mouse click, it's not working.

Thanks in advance.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...orer. general
Don Varnau

Re: Open a new tab from tha drop down address bar
Hi,
Does it work if you open the new tab, then scroll down and click the
address?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"DimkoD" <DimkoD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Some times I need to open a new tab from an address deep down the Address

Bar
> drop down list.
> I've tried middle mouse click, it's not working.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> ------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft...

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Open a new tab from tha drop down address bar
"DimkoD" <DimkoD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Some times I need to open a new tab from an address deep down the Address Bar
> drop down list.
> I've tried middle mouse click, it's not working.

You have to let the Address go into the Address bar
then press Alt-Enter.

BTW please note "Address bar drop down list" is ambiguous
and the best procedure to use could depend on which list you are using.
E.g., if it is the TypedURLs list after cursoring to one you might want to then
press F4, End, Ctrl-Backspace, etc. in order to change its parameters

> Thanks in advance.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

DimkoD

Re: Open a new tab from tha drop down address bar
Yes it does, but it's a slow way in a way. Would be nice to have the middle
mouse button functioning in the drop down list.

Thanks

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Does it work if you open the new tab, then scroll down and click the
> address?
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "DimkoD" <DimkoD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Some times I need to open a new tab from an address deep down the Address

> Bar
> > drop down list.
> > I've tried middle mouse click, it's not working.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > ------------
> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft...

DimkoD

Re: Open a new tab from tha drop down address bar
If I let the Address go into the Address bar it's too late, the content of
the current Tab
is replaced by it, unless there is a setting to which I'm not aware off that
prevents from a picked address from the drop down list to get activated
immediately.

Thanks

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "DimkoD" <DimkoD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Some times I need to open a new tab from an address deep down the Address Bar
> > drop down list.
> > I've tried middle mouse click, it's not working.

> You have to let the Address go into the Address bar
> then press Alt-Enter.
>
> BTW please note "Address bar drop down list" is ambiguous
> and the best procedure to use could depend on which list you are using.
> E.g., if it is the TypedURLs list after cursoring to one you might want to then
> press F4, End, Ctrl-Backspace, etc. in order to change its parameters
>

> > Thanks in advance.

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

news29872A3-93B8-4945-BC82-B633607296BB@microsoft.com...
> If I let the Address go into the Address bar it's too late, the content of
> the current Tab
> is replaced by it, unless there is a setting to which I'm not aware off that
> prevents from a picked address from the drop down list to get activated
> immediately.

As I hinted: Don't click on an entry or use Enter then; use Alt-Enter.

---

> Thanks
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> "DimkoD" <DimkoD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Some times I need to open a new tab from an address deep down the Address Bar
>> > drop down list.
>> > I've tried middle mouse click, it's not working.

>> You have to let the Address go into the Address bar
>> then press Alt-Enter.
>>
>> BTW please note "Address bar drop down list" is ambiguous
>> and the best procedure to use could depend on which list you are using.
>> E.g., if it is the TypedURLs list after cursoring to one you might want to then
>> press F4, End, Ctrl-Backspace, etc. in order to change its parameters
>>

>> > Thanks in advance.

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

DimkoD

Re: Open a new tab from tha drop down address bar
Thanks for your patience,

1. I'm pointing and clicking on the down arrow to the right of the address
bar.
2. The address bar drop down list opens.
3.There is one address in the address bar which I call the "current", I point
to a different address the "new" one below the "current" address somewhere
down the list.
4.Clicking that address causes the "current" tab content to be replaced with
the "new"
content and I lose the "current" content.
5.If I don't click the "new" address but while pointing on it I press
Alt+Enter I get a new tab but it's a "current" tab too. I now have tow
"current" tabs side by side, just pointing on an address from the drop down
list with the mouse pointer doesn't cause it to become the new tab while I
pree Alt+Enter.

May be you have suggested something different in your reply which I didn't
understand.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "DimkoD" <DimkoD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news29872A3-93B8-4945-BC82-B633607296BB@microsoft.com...
> > If I let the Address go into the Address bar it's too late, the content of
> > the current Tab
> > is replaced by it, unless there is a setting to which I'm not aware off that
> > prevents from a picked address from the drop down list to get activated
> > immediately.

> As I hinted: Don't click on an entry or use Enter then; use Alt-Enter.
>

> ---
>

> > Thanks
> >
> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >
> >> "DimkoD" <DimkoD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> You have to let the Address go into the Address bar
> >> then press Alt-Enter.
> >>
> >> BTW please note "Address bar drop down list" is ambiguous
> >> and the best procedure to use could depend on which list you are using.
> >> E.g., if it is the TypedURLs list after cursoring to one you might want to then
> >> press F4, End, Ctrl-Backspace, etc. in order to change its parameters

> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Robert Aldwinckle
> >> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

> Thanks for your patience,
>
> 1. I'm pointing and clicking on the down arrow to the right of the address
> bar.

That is the TypedURLs dropdown.

> 2. The address bar drop down list opens.
> 3.There is one address in the address bar which I call the "current", I point
> to a different address the "new" one below the "current" address somewhere
> down the list.

> 4.Clicking that address causes the "current" tab content to be replaced with
> the "new"
> content and I lose the "current" content.

Error. (I said "don't click".)

> 5.If I don't click the "new" address but while pointing on it I press
> Alt+Enter I get a new tab but it's a "current" tab too.

Error. (Does that get the selected item into the Address bar?)

> I now have tow
> "current" tabs side by side, just pointing on an address from the drop down
> list with the mouse pointer doesn't cause it to become the new tab while I
> pree Alt+Enter.

Because you didn't put the target into the Address bar first.

> May be you have suggested something different in your reply which I didn't
> understand.

Correct.

IE7 has made this even more awkward than it used to be.
With IE6 we could just press Tab and the selected entry
would go into the Address bar. (Actually I can't remember
if pressing F4 would have been enough to copy an item into
the Address bar at that point or not. Evidently with IE7 it is
not enough.)

In IE7 you can use the mouse to make your selection
but you can't do anything else with just that item directly.
E.g. pressing CursorUp and then CursorDown would effect
a copy into the Address bar of the one you selected.
Simpler just to cursor down I think--there are at most 25 entries. ; )

Robert
---

DimkoD

Re: Open a new tab from tha drop down address bar
Dear dear Robert, I bow before thee. (better than slaping myself)

You will probably read two consecutive post of mine, the first obviously
points out how poorly I've been reading replies, I need to improve myself on
that matter, those little prompt like arrows, single double and so on to the
left confuse me to what is the most recent reply.

You actually explained it all in details for me, and silly me had to find it
by trial and error. One thing puzzles me is that the point and TAB still
works for me. Probably because I've upgraded IE6 to IE7.

If you don't see a previous post of mine replying to you from today (which
while I'm writing the current one hasn't show up yet in the thread) then the
better, I did get an error after clicking Post so maybe I'll call it: Saved
by a glitch

Many thanks for your help.

BTW I still wish MS will implement a nice point and click from the Address
drop down list to open a new tab with IE8