IE 7 Process elevated priority, AboveNormal

angbob

IE 7 Process elevated priority, AboveNormal
I noticed that some process was consuming much CPU, but I couldn't get Task
Manager to run to see which one it was.
After several minutes, the CPU hog finally lightened up, and Task Manager
was able to display.
I found that the hog was IE 7. That's OK.
What is not OK is that IE's priority was AboveNormal. I didn't set it.
Has anyone seen this?

(And since when is it OK to have some random process able to block
CTRL-ALT-DEL? When you buy a new computer, make sure it has a Boot button,
so you don't have to cycle power when some application goes berserk.)

Regards, Bob
Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 Process elevated priority, AboveNormal
Malicious software such as viruses or spyware could be installed on your
computer.

"How to Tell if a Malfunctioning PC Has a Virus"
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-1054842.html

"Cleaning a Pest-Infected Computer"
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

angbob wrote:
> I noticed that some process was consuming much CPU, but I couldn't get Task
> Manager to run to see which one it was.
> After several minutes, the CPU hog finally lightened up, and Task Manager
> was able to display.
> I found that the hog was IE 7. That's OK.
> What is not OK is that IE's priority was AboveNormal. I didn't set it.
> Has anyone seen this?
>
> (And since when is it OK to have some random process able to block
> CTRL-ALT-DEL? When you buy a new computer, make sure it has a Boot button,
> so you don't have to cycle power when some application goes berserk.)
>
> Regards, Bob

Robert Aldwinckle

"angbob" <angbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I noticed that some process was consuming much CPU, but I couldn't get Task
> Manager to run to see which one it was.
> After several minutes, the CPU hog finally lightened up, and Task Manager
> was able to display.
> I found that the hog was IE 7. That's OK.
> What is not OK is that IE's priority was AboveNormal. I didn't set it.
> Has anyone seen this?

Yes. I have seen some MS video-playing sites doing that.

> (And since when is it OK to have some random process able to block
> CTRL-ALT-DEL? When you buy a new computer, make sure it has a Boot button,
> so you don't have to cycle power when some application goes berserk.)

Always disclose your OS when you want help. ; )

In XP I would only expect Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up Task Manager.
If it wasn't already active and if some other process was hogging the CPU
I would be very careful about not using the mouse and *waiting* for the
Ctrl-Alt-Delete to do that.

BTW sometimes it's a good idea to have Task Manager already running.
Then you can switch to it using Alt-Tab. Same caveats apply about not
queuing up inessential operations using either the keyboard or the mouse
and being patient about letting what you have requested finally happen. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: IE 7 Process elevated priority, AboveNormal
Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)?