Address Bar Will Not Save Web Addresses

MrsWarr

Address Bar Will Not Save Web Addresses
Hi, had some problems with my system and re-installed Windows XP. I had to
re-innstall my IE upgrade. I had to go through and re-enter all of my most
often used addresses. Now everytime I close IE, it loses my information and
when I open IE nothing is in my address bar. Can anyone help me please?

Re: Address Bar Will Not Save Web Addresses
What problems led you to reinstall WinXP?

How did you reinstall Windows XP?

Did this same behavior exist before you (re)installed IE7? Before you
reinstalled WinXP?

Are you now running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3?

Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?

(if any)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

MrsWarr wrote:
> Hi, had some problems with my system and re-installed Windows XP. I had to
> re-innstall my IE upgrade. I had to go through and re-enter all of my most
> often used addresses. Now everytime I close IE, it loses my information
> and
> when I open IE nothing is in my address bar. Can anyone help me please?

MrsWarr

Re: Address Bar Will Not Save Web Addresses
I got a "jokerbluescreen.c" (spyware I think). After all the problems were
gone, AdAware and McAfee used, I had no Display Property tabs. I figured the
registry settings were altered. I tried re-installing in an attempt to
restore these. I used my system restore disk, and did a basic install. I
updated to service pack 3 but the system didn't run propperly. I restored to
before the sp3 install. I then updated to IE7. Before IE7, all of my
addresses were there. Now when I put them back they leave when I close IE. I
don't know if it is fully patched or not. Thanks so much for your help.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What problems led you to reinstall WinXP?
>
> How did you reinstall Windows XP?
>
> Did this same behavior exist before you (re)installed IE7? Before you
> reinstalled WinXP?
>
> Are you now running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3?
>
> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> MrsWarr wrote:
> > Hi, had some problems with my system and re-installed Windows XP. I had to
> > re-innstall my IE upgrade. I had to go through and re-enter all of my most
> > often used addresses. Now everytime I close IE, it loses my information
> > and
> > when I open IE nothing is in my address bar. Can anyone help me please?

Re: Address Bar Will Not Save Web Addresses
> ...I used my system restore disk

I assume you're referring to the Restore CD that came with your computer
which returns the machine to OOBE (Out of Box Experience) state
(translation: Like it was when you bought it). Understand that if the
McAfee application is the free-trial version that came with the computer,
it's highly unlikely that it's fully functional.

[You will want to print these instructions or copy/paste them into Notepad
or Word for offline reference.]

1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons; or

Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
add-ons).

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist?

If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7 yet!

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs!]

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. If the behavior does NOT persist in IE6, reinstall IE7 per...

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IMPORTANT! => IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3