Re: Favorites to be imported without bookmark.htm

JoeyJ

Re: Favorites to be imported without bookmark.htm
I’ve got a similar problem trying to import favorites into IE7 in that I was
running Vista 64 bit for a year and have just went back to XP Pro. I copied
my favorites to an external HD and CD prior to reformatting. Now I can’t
import them into IE7 as I get the error message – “bootmark.htm was not
found”. When I select just a folder and go through the wizard steps, upon
finishing I get the message – “not a valid bookmark file”. All files and
folders are read only and when I attempt to clear the read only I get the
message “An error occurred applying the attributes to the file – access is
denied”. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> You're welcome. Some things are still relatively easy. ;-)
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Jorge Q" <JorgeQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Many thanks Don,
> >
> > I followed your advice and it worked. I didn't thought it was that easy. I
> > thought the bookmark.htm file held more information that I was about to

> miss,
> > but it didn't , so I successfully re-created my favorites. Thank you.

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > You should be able to drag and drop or copy and paste Favorites into the
> > > Favorites folder- one folder at a time may be easiest.
> > >
> > > In XP the Favorites folder should be at C:\Documents and

> Settings\{account
> > > name}\Favorites.
> > >
> > > If Favorites were written to a CD or DVD you may have to select all and
> > > remove the "read only" attribute (right-click> properties.)

> > > "Jorge Q" <JorgeQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news10378C7-0961-4499-AD1E-58463792E650@microsoft.com...

> in
> > > my

> been

> > > export

> > > can

> new
> > > structure...

Don Varnau

Re: Favorites to be imported without bookmark.htm
Hi,
Sounds like several issues...
Did you export Favorites, which would have exported them to a bookmarks.htm
file? Or, did you copy (write/burn)Favorites folders to the External HD and
CD?

If you don't have a bookmarks.htm file on the external media, you should be
able to create a folder on the desktop named Old Favorites. Copy the
Favorites from the external media to that folder. Working with one Favorites
folder at a time, open the folder, Ctrl+a (select all) right-click and
remove the read only attribute. Then copy those Favorites to the identically
named folder at (default location) [C:\Documents and Settings\your account
name\Favorites]

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"JoeyJ" <JoeyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I’ve got a similar problem trying to import favorites into IE7 in that I

was
> running Vista 64 bit for a year and have just went back to XP Pro. I

copied
> my favorites to an external HD and CD prior to reformatting. Now I

can’t
> import them into IE7 as I get the error message – “bootmark.htm was

not
> found”. When I select just a folder and go through the wizard steps,

upon
> finishing I get the message – “not a valid bookmark file”. All

files and
> folders are read only and when I attempt to clear the read only I get the
> message “An error occurred applying the attributes to the file –

access is
> denied”. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > You're welcome. Some things are still relatively easy. ;-)

> > "Jorge Q" <JorgeQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Many thanks Don,
> > >
> > > I followed your advice and it worked. I didn't thought it was that

easy. I
> > > thought the bookmark.htm file held more information that I was about

> > miss,
> > > but it didn't , so I successfully re-created my favorites. Thank you.

the

> > Settings\{account

and

files
> > in

> > been

as
> > I can

the
> > new

JoeyJ

Re: Favorites to be imported without bookmark.htm
Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply, I didn't export the favorites file - I just copied and
burned the favorites folder to a CD. I'll try your suggestion and see what
happens - thanks

Joe