IE stops working when I start a VPN

Barry

IE stops working when I start a VPN
The PC is running Win XP SP2.
Normally IE works fine, but when I start a VPN session, IE stops responding.

Does anyone know what causes/fixes this?

Info: It's connected to the LAN via a wireless link, and nor using a proxy
server (which I read could cause an issue)
--
Thanks ... Barry
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE stops working when I start a VPN
(cross-post added to XP Networking)
"Barry" <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The PC is running Win XP SP2.
> Normally IE works fine, but when I start a VPN session, IE stops responding.
>
> Does anyone know what causes/fixes this?
>

> Info: It's connected to the LAN via a wireless link, and nor using a proxy
> server (which I read could cause an issue)

Then make sure that you aren't sending anything to the server
which would require it to know how to tell you that. ; )
(e.g. uncheck Automatically detect settings)

Otherwise I would try doing a packet trace (e.g. using netcap
and formatting it with Ethereal) to look for more specific clues.

BTW this looks like it has more to do with your OS Networking support
than it does with IE. Cross-posting to XP Networking.

> --
> Thanks ... Barry

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Anteaus

Re: IE stops working when I start a VPN
Do an 'ipconfig /all' at a commandprompt, and check your default gateway IP
when connected/disconnected

If the VPN is set to remap the default gateway then all Internet traffic
will go via the VPN. (and if the VPN doesn't provide that facility it won't
work)

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to XP Networking)
> "Barry" <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The PC is running Win XP SP2.
> > Normally IE works fine, but when I start a VPN session, IE stops responding.
> >
> > Does anyone know what causes/fixes this?
> >

> > Info: It's connected to the LAN via a wireless link, and nor using a proxy
> > server (which I read could cause an issue)

> Then make sure that you aren't sending anything to the server
> which would require it to know how to tell you that. ; )
> (e.g. uncheck Automatically detect settings)
>
> Otherwise I would try doing a packet trace (e.g. using netcap
> and formatting it with Ethereal) to look for more specific clues.
>
> BTW this looks like it has more to do with your OS Networking support
> than it does with IE. Cross-posting to XP Networking.
>

> > --
> > Thanks ... Barry

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Richardk

Re: IE stops working when I start a VPN
Go into the properties of the VPN connection.
Under networking, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties.
Select Advanced.
Under the General tabe the is an option for 'Use defailt Gateway on remote
computer' make sure this is unticked, it will ensure browser traffic goes
throught your gateway and not the gateway on the VPN.
Hope this is of Help.
--
Richard Kent,
Systems Administrator,