Web application with Visio ActiveX - IE 6 crashes

Roy

Web application with Visio ActiveX - IE 6 crashes
Hi everyone,

My application is a web application that uses Visio ActiveX control (Server
is PHP and client is Internet Explorer 6)
When user right clicks on a shape that is presented within a Visio drawing
in the web page, it opens a menu that one of the options in this menu is
"GoTo".
The GoTo simply evokes a VB script that changes the URL and actually causes
the user to "jump" to another page.
This whole scenario worked fine for me until I added the "Ext" framework (a
set of ready AJAX functionality and JavaScript widgets) to my application –
now the Internet Explorer stops responding after right clicking on a Visio
shape and choosing the "GoTo" option.
I know that SP3 fixes this problem on XP OS, but the problem is that my
clients use server 2003 + IE 6. I tried to install all the available hotfixes
on a server 2003 but it did not solve the problem.
Can anyone help me finding the combination of hotfixes that solve the
problem n server 2003?

Thanks in advance,
Roy
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Web application with Visio ActiveX - IE 6 crashes
(cross-post added to Windows Server General)
"Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> My application is a web application that uses Visio ActiveX control (Server
> is PHP and client is Internet Explorer 6)
> When user right clicks on a shape that is presented within a Visio drawing
> in the web page, it opens a menu that one of the options in this menu is
> "GoTo".
> The GoTo simply evokes a VB script that changes the URL and actually causes
> the user to "jump" to another page.
> This whole scenario worked fine for me until I added the "Ext" framework (a
> set of ready AJAX functionality and JavaScript widgets) to my application –

> now the Internet Explorer stops responding after right clicking on a Visio
> shape and choosing the "GoTo" option.

Please use the term "hangs" instead of "crashes" to describe this symptom.
"Crashes" connotes an unrecoverable program error at a machine instruction
level.

> I know that SP3 fixes this problem on XP OS, but the problem is that my
> clients use server 2003 + IE 6. I tried to install all the available hotfixes
> on a server 2003 but it did not solve the problem.
> Can anyone help me finding the combination of hotfixes that solve the
> problem n server 2003?

Why do you think the solution is necessarily a hotfix and not (for example)
a change in security (such as switch from IE "hardening" to "softening")

From a very old reply (Wednesday, October 05, 2005 09:38)

(Apparently Hardening is an alias for "Enhanced Security Configuration".)

<title>How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!</title>
http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/ie.htm

(MSN search for
"windows server 2003" "enhanced security configuration"
)

Otherwise to refine your symptom description I would try using tools
such as Fiddler2 (or perhaps netcap and Ethereal) and ProcMon.
E.g. what really happens after you click GoTo and ideally how does
this diverge from the same traces taken for a normal case?

BTW I suspect you may find more commonality in a server NG
than in one for just IE users. Cross-posting to one for convenience.

> Thanks in advance,
> Roy

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle