IE 7 hangs on closing

Mike

IE 7 hangs on closing
I am using IE 7 with XP. I have veen for some time (months).

In the last two months, when I try to close browser (click the X), IE hangs,
I end up with an "end now" and a "send error report" box. It doesn't happen
all of the time, but 95% or better.

I have started IE with extensions off (-extoff), I have seleted my browsing
history, and I have deleted temporary files (including cookies).

Still doesnt work. Any ideas?
Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 hangs on closing
This is frequently caused by an incompatible browser add-on. The
troubleshooting steps described below will help you to diagnose and fix
the problem:

How to Optimize or Reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/

(Give the Guided Help a try.)

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Mike wrote:
> I am using IE 7 with XP. I have veen for some time (months).
>
> In the last two months, when I try to close browser (click the X), IE hangs,
> I end up with an "end now" and a "send error report" box. It doesn't happen
> all of the time, but 95% or better.
>
> I have started IE with extensions off (-extoff), I have seleted my browsing
> history, and I have deleted temporary files (including cookies).
>
> Still doesnt work. Any ideas?

Mike

Re: IE 7 hangs on closing
I have done all of this and it still hangs. Now it also loads something
called "runonce" on browser start up. I also get a error message on this
page. I an not able to save/apply settings.

I just ran a full norton scan on my machine.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> This is frequently caused by an incompatible browser add-on. The
> troubleshooting steps described below will help you to diagnose and fix
> the problem:
>
> How to Optimize or Reset Internet Explorer 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/
>
> (Give the Guided Help a try.)
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Mike wrote:
> > I am using IE 7 with XP. I have veen for some time (months).
> >
> > In the last two months, when I try to close browser (click the X), IE hangs,
> > I end up with an "end now" and a "send error report" box. It doesn't happen
> > all of the time, but 95% or better.
> >
> > I have started IE with extensions off (-extoff), I have seleted my browsing
> > history, and I have deleted temporary files (including cookies).
> >
> > Still doesnt work. Any ideas?

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 hangs on closing
I recommend showing your computer to a professional.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Mike wrote:
> I have done all of this and it still hangs. Now it also loads something
> called "runonce" on browser start up. I also get a error message on this
> page. I an not able to save/apply settings.
>
> I just ran a full norton scan on my machine.
>

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> This is frequently caused by an incompatible browser add-on. The
>> troubleshooting steps described below will help you to diagnose and fix
>> the problem:
>>
>> How to Optimize or Reset Internet Explorer 7
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/
>>
>> (Give the Guided Help a try.)
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
>> viruses or other malicious software.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Mike wrote:
>>> I am using IE 7 with XP. I have veen for some time (months).
>>>
>>> In the last two months, when I try to close browser (click the X), IE hangs,
>>> I end up with an "end now" and a "send error report" box. It doesn't happen
>>> all of the time, but 95% or better.
>>>
>>> I have started IE with extensions off (-extoff), I have seleted my browsing
>>> history, and I have deleted temporary files (including cookies).
>>>
>>> Still doesnt work. Any ideas?

Mike

Re: IE 7 hangs on closing
I figured out the run once issue (posted earlier today). I have all add ons
disabled and I have reset IE. Still hangs when I try to close. Happens on
www.foxnews.com, but not much on www.msn.com

Mike

"Mike" wrote:

> I have done all of this and it still hangs. Now it also loads something
> called "runonce" on browser start up. I also get a error message on this
> page. I an not able to save/apply settings.
>
> I just ran a full norton scan on my machine.
>

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
> > This is frequently caused by an incompatible browser add-on. The
> > troubleshooting steps described below will help you to diagnose and fix
> > the problem:
> >
> > How to Optimize or Reset Internet Explorer 7
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/
> >
> > (Give the Guided Help a try.)
> >
> > Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> > viruses or other malicious software.
> >
> > ---
> > Leonard Grey
> > Errare humanum est
> >
> > Mike wrote:
> > > I am using IE 7 with XP. I have veen for some time (months).
> > >
> > > In the last two months, when I try to close browser (click the X), IE hangs,
> > > I end up with an "end now" and a "send error report" box. It doesn't happen
> > > all of the time, but 95% or better.
> > >
> > > I have started IE with extensions off (-extoff), I have seleted my browsing
> > > history, and I have deleted temporary files (including cookies).
> > >
> > > Still doesnt work. Any ideas?

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: IE 7 hangs on closing
news2C0DFA2-87F4-44C6-9AF2-D60C20937FB4@microsoft.com...
>I figured out the run once issue (posted earlier today). I have all add ons
> disabled and I have reset IE. Still hangs when I try to close. Happens on
> www.foxnews.com, but not much on www.msn.com
>
> Mike
>
> "Mike" wrote:
>
>> I have done all of this and it still hangs. Now it also loads something
>> called "runonce" on browser start up. I also get a error message on this
>> page. I an not able to save/apply settings.
>>
>> I just ran a full norton scan on my machine.
>>

>> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>>
>> > This is frequently caused by an incompatible browser add-on. The
>> > troubleshooting steps described below will help you to diagnose and fix
>> > the problem:
>> >
>> > How to Optimize or Reset Internet Explorer 7
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/
>> >
>> > (Give the Guided Help a try.)
>> >
>> > Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
>> > viruses or other malicious software.
>> >
>> > ---
>> > Leonard Grey
>> > Errare humanum est

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince
you that you owe it to the author. See also:
of.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email