Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m

Kahlanka

Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m
I have checked my computer using HijackThis and dss.exe (very similar to
hijack and combofix) and they say there's nothing looking suspicious in the
logs.
Also my Kaspersky doesn't find anything.

I was succesful with installing IE7, but IE6 still doesn't work properly,
and I must say, I prefer IE6. Is there any chance that I will find a IE6
anywhere on the Internet or to repair it?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Kahlanka wrote:
> > I have recently been having problem with my IE6. It doesn't open any web
> > page. By the time I open it, it displays window Internet Explorer can't
> > display the web page (or sth like that, I haven't got English IE).
> > I've cleared all cache, history, temp and it doesn't help.
> >
> > So I tried to download a new version of IE7. On Microsoft web page there's
> > "Download" button but when I press it it only refreshes the web page. (I
> > used Mozilla F)
> >
> > I've never had such a problem, please help me to solve it.
> > Thanks

Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m
Post your DSS logs in an appropriate forum for review by an expert.

You can uninstall IE7 via Add/Remove Programs but since you said the problem
already existed in IE6 before you installed IE7, why bother?

It's a Windows problem. Repairing/reinstalling IE isn't going to help.

Kahlanka wrote:
> I have checked my computer using HijackThis and dss.exe (very similar to
> hijack and combofix) and they say there's nothing looking suspicious in
> the
> logs.
> Also my Kaspersky doesn't find anything.
>
> I was succesful with installing IE7, but IE6 still doesn't work properly,
> and I must say, I prefer IE6. Is there any chance that I will find a IE6
> anywhere on the Internet or to repair it?
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>>
>> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
>> log to an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
>> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>>
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
>> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
>> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
>> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for
>> review
>> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Kahlanka wrote:
>>> I have recently been having problem with my IE6. It doesn't open any web
>>> page. By the time I open it, it displays window Internet Explorer can't
>>> display the web page (or sth like that, I haven't got English IE).
>>> I've cleared all cache, history, temp and it doesn't help.
>>>
>>> So I tried to download a new version of IE7. On Microsoft web page
>>> there's
>>> "Download" button but when I press it it only refreshes the web page.
>>> (I
>>> used Mozilla F)
>>>
>>> I've never had such a problem, please help me to solve it.
>>> Thanks

Kahlanka

Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m
Sorry, but did you even read my post? I said that I checked using dss and
there's no problem in logS (both - dss and hj)

And IE6 - I prefer using old version, so it is sth to bother. I don't want
to uninstall IE7, bacause I need ANY IE.

But it would be great if I could use IE6. It's better. And if the problem is
with Windows, then why did it appear after moths of using the IE6? I don't
say it is not, but it's worth checking why it suddenly appeared. (I didn't
install any Windows updates or anything)

Thanks for help anyway.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Post your DSS logs in an appropriate forum for review by an expert.
>
> You can uninstall IE7 via Add/Remove Programs but since you said the problem
> already existed in IE6 before you installed IE7, why bother?
>
> It's a Windows problem. Repairing/reinstalling IE isn't going to help.
>

> Kahlanka wrote:
> > I have checked my computer using HijackThis and dss.exe (very similar to
> > hijack and combofix) and they say there's nothing looking suspicious in
> > the
> > logs.
> > Also my Kaspersky doesn't find anything.
> >
> > I was succesful with installing IE7, but IE6 still doesn't work properly,
> > and I must say, I prefer IE6. Is there any chance that I will find a IE6
> > anywhere on the Internet or to repair it?
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
> >>
> >> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> >> log to an appropriate forum.
> >>
> >> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> >> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> >> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> >> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> >> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> >> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
> >> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
> >> It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
> >> assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
> >> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> >> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for
> >> review
> >> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
> >>
> >> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m
If you're an experienced expert in evaluating DSS logs and HJT logs, I'm
sure that you're also knowledgable enough to know how to return your machine
to IE6. Best of luck.

Kahlanka wrote:
> Sorry, but did you even read my post? I said that I checked using dss and
> there's no problem in logS (both - dss and hj)
>
> And IE6 - I prefer using old version, so it is sth to bother. I don't want
> to uninstall IE7, bacause I need ANY IE.
>
> But it would be great if I could use IE6. It's better. And if the problem
> is
> with Windows, then why did it appear after moths of using the IE6? I don't
> say it is not, but it's worth checking why it suddenly appeared. (I didn't
> install any Windows updates or anything)
>
> Thanks for help anyway.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Post your DSS logs in an appropriate forum for review by an expert.
>>
>> You can uninstall IE7 via Add/Remove Programs but since you said the
>> problem already existed in IE6 before you installed IE7, why bother?
>>
>> It's a Windows problem. Repairing/reinstalling IE isn't going to help.
>>

>> Kahlanka wrote:
>>> I have checked my computer using HijackThis and dss.exe (very similar to
>>> hijack and combofix) and they say there's nothing looking suspicious in
>>> the
>>> logs.
>>> Also my Kaspersky doesn't find anything.
>>>
>>> I was succesful with installing IE7, but IE6 still doesn't work
>>> properly,
>>> and I must say, I prefer IE6. Is there any chance that I will find a IE6
>>> anywhere on the Internet or to repair it?

Kahlanka

Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m
I do apologise, if I wasn't nice answering your posts, I didn't mean to
insult or anything. BUT I did say that I have already had my logs checked on
an apropriate forum, so I don't understand why you still say I should do it.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

"Post your DSS logs in an appropriate forum for review by an expert. "

> If you're an experienced expert in evaluating DSS logs and HJT logs, I'm
> sure that you're also knowledgable enough to know how to return your machine
> to IE6. Best of luck."

But if you want I can post those logs here, it looks like you want to review
them, am I wrong? English isn't my first language, so say if it is so, I
could have miss-understand you.

ALso:
I realised that the problem isn't only with IE6 but also with IE7. It only
opens the homepage, but then when I type in some address and press on enter
the pages open not in Internet Explorer, but in Mozilla. That's a bit
strange, does anyone now why it happens?

Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m
You never stated that you'd post your logs in a forum for review, you stated
that *you* had examined them and found nothing untoward:

> Sorry, but did you even read my post? I said that I checked using dss and
> there's no problem in logS (both - dss and hj)

Please give us a link to the forum thread.

I'd already suggested that reverting to IE6 probably wouldn't resolve your
problems.

Kahlanka wrote:
> I do apologise, if I wasn't nice answering your posts, I didn't mean to
> insult or anything. BUT I did say that I have already had my logs checked
> on
> an apropriate forum, so I don't understand why you still say I should do
> it.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> "Post your DSS logs in an appropriate forum for review by an expert. "
>
>> If you're an experienced expert in evaluating DSS logs and HJT logs, I'm
>> sure that you're also knowledgable enough to know how to return your
>> machine to IE6. Best of luck."

> But if you want I can post those logs here, it looks like you want to
> review
> them, am I wrong? English isn't my first language, so say if it is so, I
> could have miss-understand you.
>

> ALso:
> I realised that the problem isn't only with IE6 but also with IE7. It only
> opens the homepage, but then when I type in some address and press on
> enter
> the pages open not in Internet Explorer, but in Mozilla. That's a bit
> strange, does anyone now why it happens?

Kahlanka

Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m
That forum is Polish, I don't know if it makes any difference, but for me
it's easier to write in Polish. The link to the topic with my logs is :
http://forum.dobreprogramy.pl/viewto...81040#p1681040

If you think it's not good enough, I can try with those you gave me.

And with those logs :

"I have checked my computer using HijackThis and dss.exe (very similar to
hijack and combofix) and they say there's nothing looking suspicious in the
logs. " My mistake; I meant people on forum by "THEM"...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You never stated that you'd post your logs in a forum for review, you stated
> that *you* had examined them and found nothing untoward:
>
> > Sorry, but did you even read my post? I said that I checked using dss and
> > there's no problem in logS (both - dss and hj)

> Please give us a link to the forum thread.
>
> I'd already suggested that reverting to IE6 probably wouldn't resolve your
> problems.
>

> Kahlanka wrote:
> > I do apologise, if I wasn't nice answering your posts, I didn't mean to
> > insult or anything. BUT I did say that I have already had my logs checked
> > on
> > an apropriate forum, so I don't understand why you still say I should do
> > it.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> > "Post your DSS logs in an appropriate forum for review by an expert. "
> >
> >> If you're an experienced expert in evaluating DSS logs and HJT logs, I'm
> >> sure that you're also knowledgable enough to know how to return your
> >> machine to IE6. Best of luck."

> > But if you want I can post those logs here, it looks like you want to
> > review
> > them, am I wrong? English isn't my first language, so say if it is so, I
> > could have miss-understand you.
> >

> > ALso:
> > I realised that the problem isn't only with IE6 but also with IE7. It only
> > opens the homepage, but then when I type in some address and press on
> > enter
> > the pages open not in Internet Explorer, but in Mozilla. That's a bit
> > strange, does anyone now why it happens?

Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...47532400ab0695

I think you've still got problems and you need the assistance of someone
more experienced in this area.

Upgrading to IE7 when IE6 wasn't working may have only complicated matters.
The good news is that Automatic Updates appears to be working. That tells
us that your IE problem is most likely related to (a) one or more of your
Add-ons and/or (b) third-party software and/or hijackware issues that have
not been determined so far.

(a) Testing IE7 Add-ons (including but not limited to BitComet and Skype
toolbars):

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

(b) Third-party software & related issues:

=> Your one DSS log (i.e., Main.text) shows "leftovers" from an incomplete
uninstall of AdAware Pro. When AdAware Pro was installed, the component
AdWatch was enabled. AdWatch monitors the system and Registry for certain
changes and blocks these changes unless and until the user approves. It
looks like you uninstalled AdAware Pro without having first disabled
AdWatch. The experts in AdAware Support Forums may be able to assist you
with this: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

=> Your participation in P2P file sharing and/or one or more files you
obtained via P2P file sharing (e.g., using eMule or BitComet) may have
caused the so-far-undetermined hijackware infectioni. Discussion:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/you...lesharing.mspx

=> You did not post the ComboFix log for review.

=> DSS includes a second, often more-informative log (Extra.txt) that has
not been reviewed yet. (The DSS logs are typically found in
C:\Deckard\System Scanner <=this folder. If you run DSS more than once, a
new Extra.txt file will not be generated.)

will NOT help), I'd recommend posting your logs in a better forum for
further assistance.

Good luck.

Kahlanka wrote:
> That forum is Polish, I don't know if it makes any difference, but for me
> it's easier to write in Polish. The link to the topic with my logs is :
> http://forum.dobreprogramy.pl/viewto...81040#p1681040
>
> If you think it's not good enough, I can try with those you gave me.
>
> And with those logs :
>
> "I have checked my computer using HijackThis and dss.exe (very similar to
> hijack and combofix) and they say there's nothing looking suspicious in
> the
> logs. " My mistake; I meant people on forum by "THEM"...
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> You never stated that you'd post your logs in a forum for review, you
>> stated that *you* had examined them and found nothing untoward:
>>
>>> Sorry, but did you even read my post? I said that I checked using dss
>>> and
>>> there's no problem in logS (both - dss and hj)

>> Please give us a link to the forum thread.
>>
>> I'd already suggested that reverting to IE6 probably wouldn't resolve
>> your
>> problems.
>>

>> Kahlanka wrote:
>>> I do apologise, if I wasn't nice answering your posts, I didn't mean to
>>> insult or anything. BUT I did say that I have already had my logs
>>> checked
>>> on
>>> an apropriate forum, so I don't understand why you still say I should do
>>> it.
>>>
>>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> "Post your DSS logs in an appropriate forum for review by an expert. "

>>> But if you want I can post those logs here, it looks like you want to
>>> review
>>> them, am I wrong? English isn't my first language, so say if it is so, I
>>> could have miss-understand you.
>>>

>>> ALso:
>>> I realised that the problem isn't only with IE6 but also with IE7. It
>>> only
>>> opens the homepage, but then when I type in some address and press on
>>> enter
>>> the pages open not in Internet Explorer, but in Mozilla. That's a bit
>>> strange, does anyone now why it happens?

Kahlanka

Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m
* Add-ons

In IE7 - it doesn't help to disable / run it without add-ons. It just
doesn't change anything, whether add-ons are on or off and whether I run the
program (with no add-ons) or not.

In IE6 - I don't see it in Start->All Progs->Accessories->System Tools
When I run it and try to manage add-ons by
Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage add-ons nothing happens as
if I wasn't clicking on Manage add-ons at all.

* RIES

What's strange, I don't have access to RIES
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737) in IE7. I just don't have it, where
it should be.

* p2p

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/you...lesharing.mspx

I think the address is no longer available as I get that:
"We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found."

* dss log

I posted it on the forum
http://forum.dobreprogramy.pl/viewto...81040#p1681040
and asked for checking.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > http://forum.dobreprogramy.pl/viewto...81040#p1681040
> >
> > If you think it's not good enough, I can try with those you gave me.
> >
> > And with those logs :
> >
> > "I have checked my computer using HijackThis and dss.exe (very similar to
> > hijack and combofix) and they say there's nothing looking suspicious in
> > the
> > logs. " My mistake; I meant people on forum by "THEM"...
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> You never stated that you'd post your logs in a forum for review, you
> >> stated that *you* had examined them and found nothing untoward:

> >> Please give us a link to the forum thread.
> >>
> >> I'd already suggested that reverting to IE6 probably wouldn't resolve
> >> your
> >> problems.

Re: IE - doesn't open any web page, and I can't download it from m
IE6 doesn't have the No Add-ons mode functionality.

Somehow the p2p link got doubled in my post; try
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/you...lesharing.mspx

DSS generates two (2) very useful logs: Main.txt and Extra.txt. Those
helping you in that forum don't appear to be aware of the second one (which
does not speak well of their abilities to diagnose such issues).

If your install of IE7 doesn't include the RIES option, you may not have
installed IE7 properly, the so-far-undiagnosed issues may be responsible for
its absence, or possibly both.
--
~PA Bear