FTP connection timedout when Vista Windows Defender active

microsoft.public.fr.windows.vista.securite

Golard

FTP connection timedout when Vista Windows Defender active
Hi,
Since few years, I'm developping a professionnal software.
I want to make it work on Vista SP1, with Windows Defender active.

* WITHOUT windows defender, it's OK.
* With Windows Defender active, I've got a FTP error (error n°10060: The
current connection has timedout).
* With Windows Defender active, FTP commands are working in a command
console

I've add an inbound and an outbound rule in windows defender to open port 20
& 21 but nothing change...
My application is using a COM object to do FTP.

Please can you help me to make my application work ???

Golard

RE: FTP connection timedout when Vista Windows Defender active

"Golard" wrote:

> Hi,
> Since few years, I'm developping a professionnal software.
> I want to make it work on Vista SP1, with Windows Defender active.
>
> * WITHOUT windows defender, it's OK.
> * With Windows Defender active, I've got a FTP error (error n°10060: The
> current connection has timedout).
> * With Windows Defender active, FTP commands are working in a command
> console
>
> I've add an inbound and an outbound rule in windows defender to open port 20
> & 21 but nothing change...
> My application is using a COM object to do FTP.
>
> Please can you help me to make my application work ???

French traduction:
Pour maximiser mes chances de réponses, voici la traduction française de mon
message:

Salut,
Je développe un programme "professionnel" depuis plusieures années.
Je désire aujourd'hui le faire fonctionner sous Vista SP1, avec le pare-feu
Windows Defender actif.

* SANS windows defender, tout fonctionne.
* Avec windows defender actif, j'ai une erreur FTP (error n°10060: The
current connection has timedout).
* Toujours avec windows defender actif, les commandes FTP fonctionnent en
utilisant l'invite de commandes MSDOS.

J'ai essayé d'ajouter des règles entrantes et sortantes dans windows
defender pour ouvrir les ports 20 & 21, mais ça ne change rien...

Mon application utilise un composant tiers de type "COM object" pour le FTP.

SVP pouvez-vous m'aider Ã* paramétrer windows defender ???
Ollis

"Golard" wrote:

> Hi,
> Since few years, I'm developping a professionnal software.
> I want to make it work on Vista SP1, with Windows Defender active.
>
> * WITHOUT windows defender, it's OK.
> * With Windows Defender active, I've got a FTP error (error n°10060: The
> current connection has timedout).
> * With Windows Defender active, FTP commands are working in a command
> console
>
> I've add an inbound and an outbound rule in windows defender to open port 20
> & 21 but nothing change...
> My application is using a COM object to do FTP.
>
> Please can you help me to make my application work ???

Are you sure you're talking about the right program? Are you talking about
the Windows Firewall and not Windows Defender?

I can't see where Windows Defender would be concerned with FTP ports.

"Ollis" <No@No.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
299CEA9C-47D9-4A1C-A86A-C87997A79DAD@microsoft.com...

> "Golard" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Since few years, I'm developping a professionnal software.
> > I want to make it work on Vista SP1, with Windows Defender active.
> >
> > * WITHOUT windows defender, it's OK.
> > * With Windows Defender active, I've got a FTP error (error n°10060: The
> > current connection has timedout).
> > * With Windows Defender active, FTP commands are working in a command
> > console
> >
> > I've add an inbound and an outbound rule in windows defender to open

port 20
> > & 21 but nothing change...
> > My application is using a COM object to do FTP.
> >
> > Please can you help me to make my application work ???
> >

> Are you sure you're talking about the right program? Are you talking about
> the Windows Firewall and not Windows Defender?
>
> I can't see where Windows Defender would be concerned with FTP ports.

"Windows Defender" is the name of the new Windows Vista firewall.
Of course Windows Defender control TCP and UDP ports and many other things.
Does anybody know HOW to setup windows defender concerning my problem above
?

Ollis

"Golard" wrote:

> "Ollis" <No@No.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 299CEA9C-47D9-4A1C-A86A-C87997A79DAD@microsoft.com...
> >

> > "Golard" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Since few years, I'm developping a professionnal software.
> > > I want to make it work on Vista SP1, with Windows Defender active.
> > >
> > > * WITHOUT windows defender, it's OK.
> > > * With Windows Defender active, I've got a FTP error (error n°10060: The
> > > current connection has timedout).
> > > * With Windows Defender active, FTP commands are working in a command
> > > console
> > >
> > > I've add an inbound and an outbound rule in windows defender to open

> port 20
> > > & 21 but nothing change...
> > > My application is using a COM object to do FTP.
> > >
> > > Please can you help me to make my application work ???
> > >

> > Are you sure you're talking about the right program? Are you talking about
> > the Windows Firewall and not Windows Defender?
> >
> > I can't see where Windows Defender would be concerned with FTP ports.
> >

> "Windows Defender" is the name of the new Windows Vista firewall.
> Of course Windows Defender control TCP and UDP ports and many other things.
> Does anybody know HOW to setup windows defender concerning my problem above
> ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../firewall.aspx
http://whitepapers.silicon.com/0,390...265463p,00.htm

So which one are you talking about the Vista FW, Onecare's FW, or Windows
Defender?

6816DFA9-87F5-4351-899F-A5F92405CC5D@microsoft.com...

> "Golard" wrote:
>

> > "Ollis" <No@No.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> > 299CEA9C-47D9-4A1C-A86A-C87997A79DAD@microsoft.com...

The

command

> > port 20

> > > Are you sure you're talking about the right program? Are you talking

about
> > > the Windows Firewall and not Windows Defender?
> > >
> > > I can't see where Windows Defender would be concerned with FTP ports.
> > >

> > "Windows Defender" is the name of the new Windows Vista firewall.
> > Of course Windows Defender control TCP and UDP ports and many other

things.
> > Does anybody know HOW to setup windows defender concerning my problem

above
> > ?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../firewall.aspx
> http://whitepapers.silicon.com/0,390...265463p,00.htm
>

> So which one are you talking about the Vista FW, Onecare's FW, or Windows
> Defender?

Ok, it appears that "Windows Defender" may be not the name of Vista FW...
So I'm talking about VISTA FIREWALL (include in Vista environment).
Maybe I will have more answers with this correction !!!
Can you help me Ollis ?

Ollis

"Golard" wrote:

> "Ollis" <No@No.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 6816DFA9-87F5-4351-899F-A5F92405CC5D@microsoft.com...
> >

> > "Golard" wrote:
> >

> > > "Ollis" <No@No.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> > > 299CEA9C-47D9-4A1C-A86A-C87997A79DAD@microsoft.com...

> The

> command

> > > port 20

> about

> > > "Windows Defender" is the name of the new Windows Vista firewall.
> > > Of course Windows Defender control TCP and UDP ports and many other

> things.
> > > Does anybody know HOW to setup windows defender concerning my problem

> above
> > > ?

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../firewall.aspx
> > http://whitepapers.silicon.com/0,390...265463p,00.htm
> >

> > So which one are you talking about the Vista FW, Onecare's FW, or Windows
> > Defender?

> Ok, it appears that "Windows Defender" may be not the name of Vista FW...
> So I'm talking about VISTA FIREWALL (include in Vista environment).
> Maybe I will have more answers with this correction !!!
> Can you help me Ollis ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947709

It's not your FTP COM object that it's talking about, but it does talk about
how to open the FTP port by setting a FW rule using Netsh at the Command
Prompt.

<http://blogs.iis.net/jaroslad/archive/2007/09/29/windows-firewall-setup-for-microsoft-ftp-publishing-service-for-iis-7-0.aspx>

Are you trying to access the FTP service over the Internet? Is there a
router or firewall appliance that also needs the FTP ports open, if trying to
access the FTP over the Internet?

Are you in a LAN situation that you can use another machine on the LAN to
access the FTP server running on the host machine?

Beoweolf

Re: FTP connection timedout when Vista Windows Defender active
Diagnostics of Fire Wall problems, remotely, is extremely difficult,
frustrating and generally requires repeated "back and forth", repetitive
questioning.

From your reported attempts to resolve the problem, I am somewhat confident
that You know your way around the OS, so maybe the steps listed below may
help you find or at least narrow down possible solutions to the problem.

(This troubleshooting technique pretty much outlines the steps I would take
in chasing this issue). Bonheur

One of the security features included with Windows Vista (and Windows XP
Service Pack 2) is the Windows Firewall. It is a built in firewall component
that is designed to protect your computer when connected to an un-trusted
network such as the Internet. Because of the importance a firewall plays in
protecting your computer, it is enabled by default when you install Vista.

You may want to take this one step further and monitor the type of traffic
that is being discarded by your firewall. This can be done by enabling
security logging using the steps outlined below.

1. Click Start, All Programs, and Administrative Tools.
2. Select Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.
3. Click Windows Firewall Properties.
4. Click one of the profile tabs, such as Public Profile.
5. Click the Customize button within the Logging area.
6. Enable firewall logging from the dialog box that appears.
7. Click OK.

3CC7D1DD-29C8-404A-B1E3-67C3112F761C@microsoft.com...

<http://blogs.iis.net/jaroslad/archiv...wall-setup-for
-microsoft-ftp-publishing-service-for-iis-7-0.aspx>

> Are you trying to access the FTP service over the Internet? Is there a
> router or firewall appliance that also needs the FTP ports open, if trying

> access the FTP over the Internet?
>
> Are you in a LAN situation that you can use another machine on the LAN to
> access the FTP server running on the host machine?

Thank you for your informations.

I have already try to use "netsh advfirewall firewall add ..." to open ports
20 & 21, but it doesn't change anything.
I use already "netsh advfirewall firewall add ..." to allow ICMPv4 echo
request to allow ping in and outbound, and it works.
I use also already "netsh advfirewall firewall add ..." to allow my
apllication to communicate in and outbound.

I think ports 20 & 21 are now open BUT it's maybe not the source of my
problem...
Let me mention again that I've got a FTP timedout connexion when vista
firewall is active, and that it works when it's deactivate.

To answer your questions, my application use FTP to transfert configuration
files between the PC and electronic devices (which are linux pcs also
developped in my company) on a LOCAL network (most of the time dedicated to
our system). So, nothing to do with internet connexion via a host machine.

My application use a COM object to do FTP (FTPX from "Mabry software" which
unfortunately is not support anymore) and I find in the documentation that
it "does not support SSL" (Secure Socket Layers). But I don't know what does
it mean... Do you think it can have something to do with my timedout problem
through the vista firewall ???

Thanks for your help

Ollis

"Golard" wrote:

> Thank you for your informations.
>
> I have already try to use "netsh advfirewall firewall add ..." to open ports
> 20 & 21, but it doesn't change anything.
> I use already "netsh advfirewall firewall add ..." to allow ICMPv4 echo
> request to allow ping in and outbound, and it works.
> I use also already "netsh advfirewall firewall add ..." to allow my
> apllication to communicate in and outbound.
>
> I think ports 20 & 21 are now open BUT it's maybe not the source of my
> problem...
> Let me mention again that I've got a FTP timedout connexion when vista
> firewall is active, and that it works when it's deactivate.
>
> To answer your questions, my application use FTP to transfert configuration
> files between the PC and electronic devices (which are linux pcs also
> developped in my company) on a LOCAL network (most of the time dedicated to
> our system). So, nothing to do with internet connexion via a host machine.
>
> My application use a COM object to do FTP (FTPX from "Mabry software" which
> unfortunately is not support anymore) and I find in the documentation that
> it "does not support SSL" (Secure Socket Layers). But I don't know what does
> it mean... Do you think it can have something to do with my timedout problem
> through the vista firewall ???

I don't know what to tell you. On one hand, you say that this FTP solution
works with the Vista FW down. On the other hand you say that it doesn't work
with the Vista FW up.

I would say that the issue may be at the FW, still.

If the host machine has IIS7 and you can enable the FTP server, I would test
that you can make contact with FTP that way, or you could install a 3rd party
FTP server like Filezilla for Vista and check-out the FTP ports 20 and 21
that way to see if things work.

If that works, then I guess it's back to this program you have hosting your
FTP COM object.