Recovery disk full

microsoft.public.es.windowsvista

Dennis Stephens

Recovery disk full
I have a DELL laptop running VISTA. I have noticed that my D (recovery )
drive is almost full. I have gone through the routine of trying to erase all
unnecessary files several times. The drive is still almost completely full
despite all my efforts. The wastebasket is empty, I have deleted all
duplicated files from, nothing works. The computer seems to only use the D
drive and the C drive is more than 70% free space.
What should I do next?

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Re: Recovery disk full
Hello Dennis,

This is a Vista related question and should be better posted in a Vista NG.

Make sure you have neabled the hidden folders to see all files. Additional
check the shadow copies on the machine, maybe they are filling up your machine.
They are stored in the c:\System Volume Information folder.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> I have a DELL laptop running VISTA. I have noticed that my D (recovery
> )
> drive is almost full. I have gone through the routine of trying to
> erase all
> unnecessary files several times. The drive is still almost completely
> full
> despite all my efforts. The wastebasket is empty, I have deleted all
> duplicated files from, nothing works. The computer seems to only use
> the D
> drive and the C drive is more than 70% free space.
> What should I do next?

Gordon

Re: Recovery disk full

"Dennis Stephens" <saturn1@cwjamaica.com> wrote in message
> I have a DELL laptop running VISTA. I have noticed that my D (recovery )
> drive is almost full. I have gone through the routine of trying to erase
> all unnecessary files several times. The drive is still almost completely
> full despite all my efforts. The wastebasket is empty, I have deleted all
> duplicated files from, nothing works. The computer seems to only use the D
> drive and the C drive is more than 70% free space.
> What should I do next?

Why are you doing ANYTHING with the Recovery partition? Are you backing up
there?
The Recovery Partition is there to enable restoration of your computer to
factory specs.
You have probably borked it.
I hope you made a Recovery DVD from it...
Did you READ the User guide that came with your computer?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Victek

Re: Recovery disk full

"Dennis Stephens" <saturn1@cwjamaica.com> wrote in message
> I have a DELL laptop running VISTA. I have noticed that my D (recovery )
> drive is almost full. I have gone through the routine of trying to erase
> all unnecessary files several times. The drive is still almost completely
> full despite all my efforts. The wastebasket is empty, I have deleted all
> duplicated files from, nothing works. The computer seems to only use the D
> drive and the C drive is more than 70% free space.
> What should I do next?

..
A common reason for this is Vista is automatically sending backups to D:
Start Backup and check the configuration.

Gordon

Re: Recovery disk full

"Victek" <victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Dennis Stephens" <saturn1@cwjamaica.com> wrote in message
>> I have a DELL laptop running VISTA. I have noticed that my D (recovery )
>> drive is almost full. I have gone through the routine of trying to erase
>> all unnecessary files several times. The drive is still almost completely
>> full despite all my efforts. The wastebasket is empty, I have deleted all
>> duplicated files from, nothing works. The computer seems to only use the
>> D drive and the C drive is more than 70% free space.
>> What should I do next?

> .
> A common reason for this is Vista is automatically sending backups to D:
> Start Backup and check the configuration.

Err the user has to set UP the backup - there's no "automatic" about it...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Victek

Re: Recovery disk full
>>> I have a DELL laptop running VISTA. I have noticed that my D (recovery )
>>> drive is almost full. I have gone through the routine of trying to erase
>>> all unnecessary files several times. The drive is still almost
>>> completely full despite all my efforts. The wastebasket is empty, I have
>>> deleted all duplicated files from, nothing works. The computer seems to
>>> only use the D drive and the C drive is more than 70% free space.
>>> What should I do next?

>> .
>> A common reason for this is Vista is automatically sending backups to D:
>> Start Backup and check the configuration.

> Err the user has to set UP the backup - there's no "automatic" about it...
>
> --

I haven't studied this in detail and don't presume to fully understand it.
That said I have seen more then one Vista machine where the backups are sent
to D:\ which is the recovery partition on preloaded HP's, Compaqs, etc. The
user is made aware of this when they begin receiving low disk space warning
messages. Initially they have no idea what is causing it which makes me
think they did not intentionally configure the backup location, but like I
said I'm not sure.

Mike Hall - MVP

>I have a DELL laptop running VISTA. I have noticed that my D (recovery )
>drive is almost full. I have gone through the routine of trying to erase
>all unnecessary files several times. The drive is still almost completely
>full despite all my efforts. The wastebasket is empty, I have deleted all
>duplicated files from, nothing works. The computer seems to only use the D
>drive and the C drive is more than 70% free space.
> What should I do next?

> signature database 4063 (20090508) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Dennis

No decent backup program will EVER point a backup save to the primary boot
drive. It looks for any drive/partition which does NOT have the working
operating system installed. In your case, it has found D which is your OEM
recovery partition.

If you want to back up using Windows Backup or any other backup utility, you
will have to buy another drive, preferably external.

If you only want to back up pics and music, burn them to a CD/DVD using your
burning software

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/