Rolling back permissions and ownerships?

microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.netzwerk

TaggerSTL is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rolling back permissions and ownerships?
I was trying to update (replace) my imageres.dll file in Windows Vista (in the System32 folder)...and in the process (even though I thought I was following directions) messed up ownership and permissions not only for that single file, but apparently for the SYSTEM32 folder itself. Now, many parts of Vista don't work (some icons have disappeared for example), and in control panel, I cannot open many files such as "users," "personalization," "system restore," etc. A few open; many do not. I have tried copying the "old" imageres.dll file back into SYSTEM32 from my desktop where I saved it (the one in SYSTEM32 in renamed imageres2.dll) but I "don't have permission" to do so. I am the only user/administrator on this machine -- and there are also SYSTEM and CREATOR accounts, plus my UAC and the Administrator account. Is there a way (through command prompt or otherwise) that I can easily "roll back all permissions and ownerships" to say -- what they were a couple days ago -- or to their original defaults? I am fairly computer literate, but would really like to avoid a wholesale reinstall of Vista. And through all this, I'd still like to change the windows startup sound --- but now I cannot even get that folder to open...LOL. Trying to have a sense of humor....but as I am the only user on this computer (even GUEST account is turned off), it seems I should be able to have TOTAL CONTROL over ever folder and file!

Thanks,
Jeffrey/St. Louis
Gert Belsemeyer

Re: Rolling back permissions and ownerships?
Hi Jeff,
Guess you hit the totally wrong group. This is the German Usenet for
Vista Network Problems. It's thus pretty unlikely you find help here.
Anyway, the best choice for you should be to role back to a recovery
point (or what ever that's called in english) a couple days before you
messed up your system. Note, it is intentional that normal users have
limited access to c:\windows and below;-)

"TaggerSTL" <TaggerSTL.3rmdkf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:TaggerSTL.3rmdkf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I was trying to update (replace) my imageres.dll file in Windows
> Vista
> (in the System32 folder)...and in the process (even though I thought
> was following directions) messed up ownership and permissions not
> only
> for that single file, but apparently for the SYSTEM32 folder itself.
> Now, many parts of Vista don't work (some icons have disappeared for
> example), and in control panel, I cannot open many files such as
> "users," "personalization," "system restore," etc. A few open; many
> do
> not. I have tried copying the "old" imageres.dll file back into
> SYSTEM32 from my desktop where I saved it (the one in SYSTEM32 in
> renamed imageres2.dll) but I "don't have permission" to do so. I am
> the
> only user/administrator on this machine -- and there are also SYSTEM
> and
> CREATOR accounts, plus my UAC and the Administrator account. Is
> there a
> way (through command prompt or otherwise) that I can easily "roll
> back
> all permissions and ownerships" to say -- what they were a couple
> days
> ago -- or to their original defaults? I am fairly computer
> literate,
> but would really like to avoid a wholesale reinstall of Vista. And
> through all this, I'd still like to change the windows startup
> sound ---
> but now I cannot even get that folder to open...LOL. Trying to have
> sense of humor....but as I am the only user on this computer (even
> GUEST
> account is turned off), it seems I should be able to have TOTAL
> CONTROL
> over ever folder and file!
>
> Thanks,
> Jeffrey/St. Louis
>

> --
> TaggerSTL

<grrrr> vistaheads is probably the worst usenet interface ever

hth
Gert

Rainald Taesler

Re: Rolling back permissions and ownerships?
Jeffry,
obviously you stranded on a distant shore ...

This is a German speaking group as to be seen from the ".de." (for
"Deutsch") in the group's name.

Although quite some in here are able to communicate in English too,
you'd be ways better off if you visit one if the international (English
speaking) NGs in the microsoft.public.vista.* hierarchy.

Rainald