New machine - no IP address!

microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.installation

Marge

New machine - no IP address!
Hello. I've got a new laptop with Vast Basic Home. I've created a connection
to my wireless router (to which I have two other XP machines connected to).

My Vista machine won't grab an IP address. It show the connection as
excellent, but no address. Ipconfig/release and renew do nothing.

What am I missing.

Thanks all

Tony

Re: New machine - no IP address!
Hi Marge,
From the old days in which I installed my first vista I vaguely remember
having somewhat the same problems. I think I disabled IPv6 in Vista.
In general it is good to realize what's new in a new platform and disable
that in the first place.

Does the Vista machine show the same gateway adress as the xp machines? You
can see that with IPconfig /all.
Comparing what you have working e.g. the xp IPConfig with what does not is a
usefull idea in general.

Kind regards,
Tony Thijs
OriolusPublishing

"Marge" <mpeg@yahoo.ca> schreef in bericht
> Hello. I've got a new laptop with Vast Basic Home. I've created a
> connection to my wireless router (to which I have two other XP machines
> connected to).
>
> My Vista machine won't grab an IP address. It show the connection as
> excellent, but no address. Ipconfig/release and renew do nothing.
>
> What am I missing.
>
> Thanks all

Tony

Re: New machine - no IP address!
By the way,
This is a German newsgroup. It works best when you submit your question in
German.
I'm Dutch and multi lingual by design :-).
Is there a special reason you posted your question in a German forum?
Kind regards,
Tony Thijs

"Marge" <mpeg@yahoo.ca> schreef in bericht
> Hello. I've got a new laptop with Vast Basic Home. I've created a
> connection to my wireless router (to which I have two other XP machines
> connected to).
>
> My Vista machine won't grab an IP address. It show the connection as
> excellent, but no address. Ipconfig/release and renew do nothing.
>
> What am I missing.
>
> Thanks all

Marge

Re: New machine - no IP address!
My Bad, I didn't see the "DE".

BTW: The solution was to "Connect Even when not broadcasting. I have the
SSID hidden, so I checked this on out of frustration and viola.

Cheers.
"Tony" <tonythecatnospampleasemiauw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> By the way,
> This is a German newsgroup. It works best when you submit your question in
> German.
> I'm Dutch and multi lingual by design :-).
> Is there a special reason you posted your question in a German forum?
> Kind regards,
> Tony Thijs
>

> "Marge" <mpeg@yahoo.ca> schreef in bericht
>> Hello. I've got a new laptop with Vast Basic Home. I've created a
>> connection to my wireless router (to which I have two other XP machines
>> connected to).
>>
>> My Vista machine won't grab an IP address. It show the connection as
>> excellent, but no address. Ipconfig/release and renew do nothing.
>>
>> What am I missing.
>>
>> Thanks all

Tony

Re: New machine - no IP address!
Marge,
Thanks, I was about to install some new equipment and I world definitely
would have had the same problem.
Kind regards,
Tony Thijs