Vista WiFi connection in Germany (English request)

microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.administration

Neil Jones

Vista WiFi connection in Germany (English request)
Hi,

I apologize ahead for posting this question in English in a German forum!

I have a Vista Ultimate laptop which I used for work in the US. Now I
live in Germany. During my initial stay at the hotels, I used the hotel
wireless connection and Vista connected to the Internet fine. Now I
live in an apartment and got the DSL service from T-Mobile (Deutsche
Telekom) and here is the problem.

The DSL phone works fine. My Vista will not connect to the DSL router
(Speedport 303V).

1. Every attempt to use the browser (Firefox or IE) to connect to the
router’s IP address returns the following error message:

____________
Connection Interrupted
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please
try again.
____________

2. None of the external web sites can be accessed

3. The network configuration information from the Control Panel says I
am connected to the Internet and the only application working is Skype.

4. My wife has an Apple laptop. She could connect to the router and the
Internet from the beginning of this DSL setup.

One thing I did change in the Wireless card settings was the DNS
servers. Soon after I added DNS servers from OpenDNS, and I have access
to the Internet. I am still not able to connect to my DSL router. I
disabled IPV6 for the interfaces and tried to use wired and WiFi access
to the router and Vista will not access the router.

Every other place I have used WiFi connection, DSL or Cable broadband, I
had no problem. This is the first time I am experiencing this. Can
someone explain why I cannot access the DSL modem on Vista?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ

cat yahoo.com >> castellan2004-pm@

Helmut Rohrbeck

Re: Vista WiFi connection in Germany (English request)
Neil Jones <nj@dev.null> typed:
> I apologize ahead for posting this question in English in a German forum!

You are welcome!

> I have a Vista Ultimate laptop which I used for work in the US. Now I
> live in Germany. During my initial stay at the hotels, I used the hotel
> wireless connection and Vista connected to the Internet fine. Now I
> live in an apartment and got the DSL service from T-Mobile (Deutsche
> Telekom) and here is the problem.
>
> The DSL phone works fine. My Vista will not connect to the DSL router
> (Speedport 303V).
>
> 1. Every attempt to use the browser (Firefox or IE) to connect to the
> router’s IP address returns the following error message:
>
> ____________
> Connection Interrupted
> The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
> The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please
> try again.
> ____________
>
> 2. None of the external web sites can be accessed
>
> 3. The network configuration information from the Control Panel says I
> am connected to the Internet and the only application working is Skype.
>
> 4. My wife has an Apple laptop. She could connect to the router and the
> Internet from the beginning of this DSL setup.
>
> One thing I did change in the Wireless card settings was the DNS
> servers. Soon after I added DNS servers from OpenDNS, and I have access
> to the Internet. I am still not able to connect to my DSL router. I
> disabled IPV6 for the interfaces and tried to use wired and WiFi access
> to the router and Vista will not access the router.

Open Internet Options in Control Panel => Connections:
Choose "Never dial a connection"
=> LAN settings: Disable automatic configuration.

Network and Sharing Center:
Choose private network.
Adapter Settings => TCP/IP => Properties:
Set IP-Address and DNS-Server-Address settings to automatically.
You must get these addresses provided by the router.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...etworking.mspx

--
Helmut Rohrbeck [MVP]
Using Windows 7 RTM Version...