IE8 and WHS

microsoft.public.de.windows.homeserver

Bill

IE8 and WHS
I tried the RTW of IE8 (server 2003 version) on a WHS test box. Results
were not too good. Installation went well with the expected reboot. First
thing I noticed after the reboot was my advanced settings under
Tools/Options/Advanced had been reset. I did some basic testing on known
"safe" sites for awhile with no adverse results. The installation and
testing was done from an attached keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I then
logged off and removed the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Logged on through
the WHS Console and everything seemed fine. Closed the WHS Console and
started using the desktop (Win7 build 7000). After awhile, I noticed the
WHS Connector Icon in the notification area would go gray for a few minutes
and then turn back green. Connected from the W7 desktop using a RDC. Very
slow and sluggish (non-responsive) connecting. Sometimes it would appear
WHS was hanging. Forced a reboot of WHS. Took about 30 minutes to shutdown
and reboot. After a reboot, WHS seemed to respond normally, but after
awhile the sluggishness returned. Rolled back to IE7. Everything on WHS is
now running normally.

This is reproducible. Tried the IE8 install again with basically the same
results. Rolled back to IE7 and normalcy returns.

--
BullDawg
Team Geezer

Tobias Redelberger [MVP - SBS]

Re: IE8 and WHS
Hi Bill,

>I tried the RTW of IE8 (server 2003 version) on a WHS test box. Results
>were not too good. Installation went well with the expected reboot. First
>thing I noticed after the reboot was my advanced settings under
>Tools/Options/Advanced had been reset. I did some basic testing on known
>"safe" sites for awhile with no adverse results. The installation and
>testing was done from an attached keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I then
>logged off and removed the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Logged on through
>the WHS Console and everything seemed fine. Closed the WHS Console and
>started using the desktop (Win7 build 7000). After awhile, I noticed the
>WHS Connector Icon in the notification area would go gray for a few minutes
>and then turn back green. Connected from the W7 desktop using a RDC. Very
>slow and sluggish (non-responsive) connecting. Sometimes it would appear
>WHS was hanging. Forced a reboot of WHS. Took about 30 minutes to
>shutdown and reboot. After a reboot, WHS seemed to respond normally, but
>after awhile the sluggishness returned. Rolled back to IE7. Everything on
>WHS is now running normally.
>
> This is reproducible. Tried the IE8 install again with basically the same
> results. Rolled back to IE7 and normalcy returns.

Please answer the follwoing question reasonably:

Why (actual unsupported) IE8 on a headless Server (as a WHS is meant to be)?

If you want to play around, than it's up to you.

--
Tobias Redelberger
StarNET Services (HomeOffice)

Bill

Re: IE8 and WHS
Well, as I stated, this was a test WHS box, not the production box. But
since I run Outlook Express on WHS, there is an occasional use of IE if
there is a trusted link in an email. That's why it was tried. However, for
the limited browsing that is done, IE7 will suffice for now.

Just because WHS is headless doesn't mean it just has to sit in the corner
and do backups every night. That's why I use its Outlook Express as my
email and newsgroup reader. No matter where I'm at, I can connect to my WHS
with a Remote Desktop Connection, and I have access to my email and
newsgroups.

--
BullDawg
Team Geezer

"Tobias Redelberger [MVP - SBS]" <T.Redelberger@starnet-services.net> wrote
in message news:%23QtPUmuqJHA.4996@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi Bill,
>
>>I tried the RTW of IE8 (server 2003 version) on a WHS test box. Results
>>were not too good. Installation went well with the expected reboot.
>>First thing I noticed after the reboot was my advanced settings under
>>Tools/Options/Advanced had been reset. I did some basic testing on known
>>"safe" sites for awhile with no adverse results. The installation and
>>testing was done from an attached keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I then
>>logged off and removed the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Logged on
>>through the WHS Console and everything seemed fine. Closed the WHS
>>Console and started using the desktop (Win7 build 7000). After awhile, I
>>noticed the WHS Connector Icon in the notification area would go gray for
>>a few minutes and then turn back green. Connected from the W7 desktop
>>using a RDC. Very slow and sluggish (non-responsive) connecting.
>>Sometimes it would appear WHS was hanging. Forced a reboot of WHS. Took
>>about 30 minutes to shutdown and reboot. After a reboot, WHS seemed to
>>respond normally, but after awhile the sluggishness returned. Rolled back
>>to IE7. Everything on WHS is now running normally.
>>
>> This is reproducible. Tried the IE8 install again with basically the
>> same results. Rolled back to IE7 and normalcy returns.

> Please answer the follwoing question reasonably:
>
> Why (actual unsupported) IE8 on a headless Server (as a WHS is meant to
> be)?
>
> If you want to play around, than it's up to you.
>
> --
> Tobias Redelberger
> StarNET Services (HomeOffice)
> Schoenbornstr. 57
> D-97440 Werneck
> Tel: +49 (9722) 4835
> Mobil: +49 (163) 84 74 421
> Email: T.Redelberger@starnet-services.net
> Web: http://www.starnet-services.net

Olaf Engelke

Re: IE8 and WHS
Bill wrote:

> Just because WHS is headless doesn't mean it just has to sit in the
> corner and do backups every night. That's why I use its Outlook
> Express as my email and newsgroup reader. No matter where I'm at, I
> can connect to my WHS with a Remote Desktop Connection, and I have
> access to my email and newsgroups.

which is not allowed by the EULA, delivered with the WHS OS.
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf
Tobias Redelberger [MVP - SBS]

Re: IE8 and WHS
Hi Bill,

> Well, as I stated, this was a test WHS box, not the production box. But
> since I run Outlook Express on WHS, there is an occasional use of IE if
> there is a trusted link in an email. That's why it was tried. However,
> for the limited browsing that is done, IE7 will suffice for now.
>
> Just because WHS is headless doesn't mean it just has to sit in the corner
> and do backups every night. That's why I use its Outlook Express as my
> email and newsgroup reader. No matter where I'm at, I can connect to my
> WHS with a Remote Desktop Connection, and I have access to my email and

you can do whatever you like... it's your Hard+Software.. but don't expect
support for it, not from Microsoft and not from other WHS-Spe******t.. we
don't have any time to play around.

If you have any other problems with Microsoft Products during normal use,
you are welcome to ask your question.

--
Tobias Redelberger
StarNET Services (HomeOffice)
Schoenbornstr. 57
D-97440 Werneck
Tel: +49 (9722) 4835
Mobil: +49 (163) 84 74 421
Email: T.Redelberger@starnet-services.net
Web: http://www.starnet-services.net

Bill

Re: IE8 and WHS
Olaf,

A little confused. Which is not allowed? Outlook Express that is installed
with WHS or Remote Desktop Connection? If it is the Remote Desktop
Connection, then I may agree, but I can still access WHS's Outlook Express
through the WHS Console by opening Windows Toolkit (Settings/Toolkit) then
click on command prompt. Then type "start msimn.exe" and Outlook Express
opens in the WHS Console. I agree that RDC may not be allowed, except for
running administration functions, by the EULA, but doing this through the
WHS Console and/or Remote Access from the web does not appear, in my
opinion, to violate the EULA.

Also, what about third party Add-ins such as Program Launcher. I can use it
to launch Outlook Express, and other programs, from the WHS Console. Are
these also violations of the EULA? Microsoft even provides a link to We Got
Served which contains this Add-in. See
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/add-ins.mspx
for the link at the bottom of the page.

Sorry for the rant, but most likely it would take a stadium full of lawyers
over a hundred years to finally interpret the EULA. Some parts are clear
cut others are not. Even Microsoft speaks from both sides of the mouth.
I'll end my rant with this link which gives much food for thought.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...-70fd45f5a1dd/

Posted from WHS Console using the add-in "Program Launcher" to run WHS's
Outlook Express.
--
BullDawg
Team Geezer

"Olaf Engelke" <oenews01@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Bill wrote:
>>
>> Just because WHS is headless doesn't mean it just has to sit in the
>> corner and do backups every night. That's why I use its Outlook
>> Express as my email and newsgroup reader. No matter where I'm at, I
>> can connect to my WHS with a Remote Desktop Connection, and I have
>> access to my email and newsgroups.

> which is not allowed by the EULA, delivered with the WHS OS.
> Best greetings from Germany
> Olaf

Olaf Engelke

Re: IE8 and WHS
Hi Bill,
"Bill" <eschol1948 AT Gmail DOT COM FIX IT> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>Remote Desktop Connection? If it is the Remote Desktop
> Connection, then I may agree,

exactly this.

> Also, what about third party Add-ins such as Program Launcher. I can use
> it to launch Outlook Express, and other programs, from the WHS Console.
> Are these also violations of the EULA?

Strong taken these are violations, since they also invoke Remote Desktop.
This is not enforced by Microsoft (in comparision to adding WHS to Active
Directory, which makes your server reboot every hour), but you will not get
support and will always risk, that such stuff breaks with the next update or
that you break stuff which belongs to the WHS components. The problem here
is, that WHS had to be created on top of an existing platform, so it was not
possible, to take away stuff from that platform due to "frozen" code..

I agree, EULAs are not only hard to read, but often also need reading
between the lines and an army of lawyers.

Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

Bill

Re: IE8 and WHS
Thanks for the discussion Olaf. For now, I will continue to use Outlook
Express on WHS, as it appears MS will not send the police after me for this
use. The reason I use Outlook Express is my dissatisfaction with WLM. I
need a cross platform (XP, Vista, Win7) solution that allows access to both
news and email with the same message store.
Tried some third party apps including Thunderbird, but kept coming back to
Outlook Express. As to support from MS, since I build my own boxes, and WHS
is OEM, guess I'm my own support.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts and opinions here as I realize this
is mostly a German language group. Hope to see you in the next beta go
around.

--

> Hi Bill,
> "Bill" <eschol1948 AT Gmail DOT COM FIX IT> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>Remote Desktop Connection? If it is the Remote Desktop
>> Connection, then I may agree,

> exactly this.
>
>> Also, what about third party Add-ins such as Program Launcher. I can use
>> it to launch Outlook Express, and other programs, from the WHS Console.
>> Are these also violations of the EULA?

> Strong taken these are violations, since they also invoke Remote Desktop.
> This is not enforced by Microsoft (in comparision to adding WHS to Active
> Directory, which makes your server reboot every hour), but you will not
> get support and will always risk, that such stuff breaks with the next
> update or that you break stuff which belongs to the WHS components. The
> problem here is, that WHS had to be created on top of an existing
> platform, so it was not possible, to take away stuff from that platform
> due to "frozen" code..
>
> I agree, EULAs are not only hard to read, but often also need reading
> between the lines and an army of lawyers.
>
> Best greetings from Germany
> Olaf

Roland Messerschmidt

Re: IE8 and WHS
Hi,

Bill schrieb:

> As to support from MS, since I build my
> own boxes, and WHS is OEM, guess I'm my own support.

Nice interpretation, but, well, very realistic! ;-)

Roland

Bill

Re: IE8 and WHS
Well, I do have the test box for WHS that I do all my playing around. The
production box just sits there chugging along. The only non normal use on
the production box is the use of Outlook Express.

--

in message news:eAPJNrErJHA.5356@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...